And I just used one little magic product. Simply put Vaseline on your face/arms/any exposed skin. Free standard delivery Order and Collect. There are many ways to distress paint and one of my favorite looks is the popular distressed antique white paint finish you see in furniture stores and online. As soon as you see at least one site that suggests it’s possible to use Vaseline for this purpose, close out of your browser without reading any of the details, and start the search for that container of Vaseline you bought in 1983. ). So I decided to create a white chippy paint mirror instead. Cleaning Stove Burners & Grates using Ammonia (The best... Easy Dessert Recipe: Oreo Cheesecake Bites. Masking is gonna be a mo-fo, so I went on line looking for other answers, and someone suggested I try using Vaseline as mask, theory being the paint will stick to it, when the emblems are dry I just wash the Vaseline off. The top coat may look a little weird and bumpy because of the Vaseline, but don’t worry about that! Chalk paint will give you more of that matte, heavy look. You can also use it on frozen doors around the house. To this day, Vaseline effectively cares for your skin. Follow these steps to reach chippy paint heaven. Keep your entire current crop of brain and … If your stainless steel piece is already worn out, paint will easily stick to it. It has been used to protect, help heal, and lock in moisture for dry skin since 1870. Her projects can be seen in Apartment Therapy, Buzzfeed, Pioneer Woman, Shutterfly, Hunker, Hometalk, Craftgawker, Redfin, and more. Therefore, ... You can use any kind of chalk style paint, spray paint that you'd like. I use a non-yellowing poly spray. Step 1: Paint your Object (Optional). If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this. Spooky porch decor and a Halloween Chair. I added these adorable 3D butterflies to the wall around it. Then you have got the chippy chalk paint look. It would be great if your exterior color is durable and non-toxic. The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. Decor Hint is reader-supported. Website by Houndstooth Media Group, By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. To shut a door quietly, first grasp the door handle without pulling on it. Since spray paint can chip and flake, using on pieces that will be near food is typically not recommended. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn a small commission - at no extra cost to you. Upcycle project: plain flower pot into decorative ceramic planter. You’ll have to let me know how it turns out for you. CONS. I realized that it’s nearly impossible to take a straight-on picture of a mirror without including myself in it. The Vaseline will keep your top coat from sticking. It’s the perfect piece for layering paint. The nice thing about spray paint is you don’t have to actually paint over the vaseline, you are just spraying over it. It was white. And chalk paint is really beautiful, too. You can paint on wood, plastic, and metal. Step 8. I carefully rubbed the vaseline between the slats and any other parts that I wanted distressed. Again,k applied vaseline in large swaths all over the piece. Karen is the founder of Decor Hint, and a former computer tech turned Realtor turned Decorator/DIY'er. Mar 9, 2016 - Learn how to use vaseline to resist paint and distress furniture using vaseline and cover things you can't remove but don't want painted. This is great because it softens your hands in the process ;-)! Vaseline Healing Jelly is the original wonder Jelly. I used latex paint for mine. Acrylic Paint – Make use of acrylic paint for the rubber items present in the inside of the house or shop. Pottery Barn inspired Bone Hand Skeleton Vase. Vaseline Intensive Care Body Lotion for sensitive and dry skin Advanced Repair unscented, moisturizing 600 ml. If it is too thin, a high quality spray paint will still stick to it if you don't wipe it off fast enough. All spray paint. And it’s so easy to do! Then you are ready to hang and enjoy. Step 4: Rub off Vaseline Layer. It just depends on the look you are going for. Learn more here. Avoids clogging and makes your snowblower more effective. Choose areas that you think would naturally be chipped and worn down. Turned out great. As I mentioned above, there are some paints made for glass and ceramics and they may be safe to use on food serving dishes. Discover the secret to distress paint with vaseline for your furniture and decor. Long ago i posted about using vaseline (petroleum jelly) as a way to get a chippy paint finish. The silver frame felt cheap and dated and it doesn’t go with her room. Step 6 Diagram They are really easy to apply. Will spray paint stick to Vaseline? Vivienne Wagner is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. It’s matte but still a little tiny bit shiny? Step 6. Wait for this paint layer to dry completely. You can let the paint fully cure at this point, which takes 24-48 hrs. While I don’t consider my style to be farmhouse style, I do like the look of incorporating a few aged and antique pieces in our home decor. Then spray painted it Vintage Teal by Rustoleum 2X and wiped off vaseline with a towel after paint was dry. So – hi! You want to make sure you prep your object if needed. ---> Check out more DIY projects right here! Except I applied the vaseline over larger areas so it looked “chippy”. Here’s a bit of background on this project. Paint as normal. She has this round IKEA mirror with a silver frame. I took a bit of beige acrylic paint and a teeny drop of blue and watered it down. Then, paint as usual. For a glazed ceramic or glass base, use Krylon Fusion, the only spray paint out there that adheres to slick surfaces problem-free. You can start spraying in light coats 15 minutes apart. This article will talk about paint compatible with stainless steel and how to paint stainless steel. LOL. Time to spray paint! Which is OK for me and my project. Once the paint was wiped off, I decided to add another little layer of color to the project. So easy and i love the look. Krylon Fusion for Plastic and Rust-Oleum 2x are two common brands. Exterior Paint – You can apply the exterior paint on the rubber by making use of spray paint or brush. Joanna Gaines makes a great one as does Rustoleum. The areas that had Vaseline on it, will just wipe away. For the purposes of this tutorial, I’m calling whatever you’re painting an “object”. If it is too thin, a high quality spray paint will still stick to it if you don’t wipe it off fast enough. How do you open a door quietly? » The V Spot. Once the paint is dry, use an old cloth or sandpaper to rub off all the Vaseline. And it comes in a ton of colors. Conventional spray paints just won't stick to plastic. Decor Hint is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. Avoid contact with your eyes and … The paint will not stick to the vaseline so make sure you only put the vaseline where you don't want paint! It just makes it so the paint doesnt stick to whatever you are painting and then when the paint is dry, you wipe away the vaseline. (Pork in a crock pot… nothing is easier.). Can struggle at temperatures below … , This mirror looks perfect in Hannah’s room. In literally seconds, the paint rubs right off the surface and displays a nicely worn distressed paint finish. If you have ever used an airless paint sprayer outside on a fence/deck,etc., you know the wind can cause the paint spray to end up on you. It doesn't matter if it is latex, oil, stain. I’m giving my daughter’s room a little makeover. First, wipe down your glass with rubbing alcohol to remove any dirt or adhesive on the surface of the glass that would prevent the paint from sticking. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Cover over the vaseline sections. It's the ideal product for a multitude of uses, including protecting dry, sensitive or chaffed skin. Google “use Vaseline to mask when painting”. Mar 9, 2016 - Learn how to use vaseline to resist paint and distress furniture using vaseline and cover things you can't remove but don't want painted. No Sew Project: How to recover your outdoor cushions using fabric and a glue gun. . After letting the walnut stain dry for 24 hours I was ready to apply my vaseline. The Vaseline paint technique is perfect for layering paint. You may even own this mirror! The mirror turned out great and it looks very sweet in her room. Mar 9, 2016 - Learn how to use vaseline to resist paint and distress furniture using vaseline and cover things … Mar 25, 2017 - Long ago i posted about using vaseline (petroleum jelly) as a way to get a chippy paint finish. How To Layer And Distress Paint With Vaseline Step 1. ... DIY Chippy Paint with Vaseline. However, if it’s brand new and you want to change its color, you’ll need to use a primer. The vaseline just made the paint rub right off. So if you are chalk painting metal outdoor furniture or anything that will be outdoors and you live in a rainy climate like me you will want to protect it. The best part? Apply Vaseline with a rag or chippy brush where you don’t want the paint to stick. The furniture I chose for this project has a lot of missing and bubbled veneer. So, now that you know how to distress paint with vaseline, what’s going to be your first project? It just makes it so the paint doesnt stick to whatever you are painting and then when the paint is d… You can use sandpaper instead of a cloth, … Can be used on lots of surfaces. … Just paint your object as you normally would. I haven’t tried the Vaseline with spray paint, but it should work just the same. After the paint was dry, i just took a sanding block and rubbed off where the vaseline was. Once the top coat of paint is dry, gently rub away the color at the corners and edges with a rag or paper towel. I did this outside on a nice day. I left it white. more information Accept. Spray with Polycrylic. Step 2. Create that beautiful, aged paint look easily and effortlessly. How to store fresh produce – From A to Zucchini. Step 10. Continue to remove all the vaseline until you achieve your desired look. Ceramic glazes preserve your pottery and tile’s coloring […] It just makes it so the paint doesnt stick to whatever you are painting and then when the paint is d… Object = furniture, mirror, decor, vase, etc. <---. You may recognize this mirror. You can put them around the lock area, or spread them out closer to the top and … It won't stick! Step 7. ... Once your paint has dried, take an old rag and rub the areas where you previously applied the vaseline. Is it weird that I want to do this with everything now? Object to be painted (that’s the mirror for me! These paints don't just stick; they fuse with the plastic surface to form a super-strong bond. As you can see – this Rustoleum spray paint worked out fine. A chalky look. While I didn’t love the silver, it was ok to see this poking through under the white paint. ... (*Re: inhaling paint over-spray: This is a truly horrible idea, bad for your health and whatnot. I’ve even used their Chalk Spray Paint to makeover an old chair for my daughter’s room. This Rustoleum Spray Paint is the best in my opinion. This DuPont repellant is the best non-stick spray overall. The first step is to paint your object if you want to. Tag me with the results on Instagram! PROS. I waited for about 4 hours. You will notice how it takes the paint right off with it – creating that amazing chipped paint look. istockphoto.com So I left it as is. You’ll have to let me know if you try it! If you screw up, you can always repaint the mirror. Buy Vaseline Active Fresh Aerosol Deodorant 250ml at Superdrug.com plus much more from Vaseline . Step 9. Ya know, Shabby Chic style. Works best with a second coat, meaning you use twice as much. I chose the crevices and cracks and certain parts of the frame. Take a damp cloth (I used a white paper towel) and start rubbing off the vaseline layer. (Using what you already have, of course.). Prep Furniture. Allow your spray paint to dry completely. Now paint manufacturers offer paint just for that application. How to Distress Paint with Vaseline. Or at least, that’s what I found! (Spray paint can get everywhere if you’re not careful.). This is where it matters how thick the Vaseline is. Your email address will not be published. So this is a paint technique tutorial as well as an IKEA hack. Yes, you will be painting over the big vaseline blobs. The Vaseline acts as a non-stick barrier between your surface and the paint. Can last for a full morning of snow blowing before you need to re-apply. After you have applied your vaseline it is time for your top coat! I’m really happy I was able to repurpose it. Vaseline can also be used to cover up things that you dont want to get painted. Painted the hardware and drawers in side of the doors … For a matte ceramic base, regular spray paint, such as Krylon Interior-Exterior, will do a fine job.29 Aug 2014 Can you paint over glazed ceramic? Paint furniture using Vaseline or petroleum jelly and you can add depth to your furniture finish with layers of colors. So, it remains undisturbed until the next step. Reply. Again I used spray paint because it’s quick and easy, and it is easy to apply without messing up the Vaseline. You will notice that as you are removing the vaseline, it spreads a bit too, and it will take more and more and more paint off with it. Likewise, you’ll learn when stainless steel should be … You can spray paint stainless steel, but it will need some degree of preparation. Wax may be used if preferred, but we found it to be more scratch-able with this product. This is where it matters how thick the Vaseline is. Re-use is not permitted without explicit written permission. Step 2: Coat areas with Vaseline. I could see where it was at because the spots with the vaseline were a little bit raised up. The first step is to paint your object if you want to. Simple, winter themed decor. The second piece was an armoire I’ve had for years. Allow it to dry completely. Wait until you can go the store to get WD-40, a silicone spray or Vaseline. The vaseline basically doesn’t allow the paint to stick to the surface below, so painting a fun turquoise color over stained wood would be awesome! 600 ml Body Lotion . The detailed wood applique and the rough finish will be beautiful distressed. Spray painting works really well, because it is less likely to disturb the Vaseline. 3. Amazing stuff. Directly on top of your vaseline! All content on this website is copyrighted to Decor Hint, unless otherwise noted. Feb 11, 2013 - Long ago i posted about using vaseline (petroleum jelly) as a way to get a chippy paint finish. Just bend them to create the 3D look and use double-sided tape to stick them to the wall (it came with the tape by the way!). ... Vaseline Intensive Care Spray Moisturizer Essential Healing 65 oz ( Pack of 3) 0 Reviews. ... How to use: For best results, shake your Vaseline anti-perspirant can well and hold 15cm away from your underarm. I’ve used it to paint Adirondack chairs, DIY Peg Rails, and little family heirlooms. Quesadillas made with slow cooker Carnitas. The paint won’t adhere to the Vaseline-coated areas, which will result in an interesting two-toned finish. Once we chip the paint, this bottom layer will show through. Copyright © 2021. This is the top of the page. Easy enough. When you shower, the paint comes off your body easily + it softens your skin as a bonus. Do you love that aged, chippy paint look? I just finished a project like that and have a video and link to that project in this post … So if you don’t like the color, then you can apply a different color paint to it now. So – towards the end, I was really careful about spreading it around because I didn’t want much more paint to come off. Now you want to take some vaseline and smear it on your object. This distressed paint look is the perfect way to make this happen. Anywhere you put the Vaseline, paint won’t stick, so it should work! I peeled off the loose veneer, sanded the rough edges with 100 grit sandpaper, and cleaned the table inside and out with Simple Green. I use Krylon- non yellowing for long lasting results. 1808 Reviews. You can actually use whatever paint you want. Step 3: Spray Paint your Object. Grab one or two felt pads and stick them inside the door frame. Olive oil serves as both a lubricant and solvent to remove paint, and it is gentle on your body. Cover with Vaseline as well. Attach painted handles and place drawers back in. Home Depot is the best place to get this because the color options are endless there. After the alcohol has dried, shake the spray paint can for about a minute. Spray in short bursts in a well-ventilated area for great 48 hour sweat protection. For me, this meant covering the mirror part so protect it from paint. Myself in it “ chippy ” can add depth to your furniture and Decor works best a! Google “ use Vaseline to mask when painting ” paint can for about a.! How to use: for best results, shake the spray paint worked out fine how to and... N'T matter if it ’ s the perfect piece for layering paint a participant in the Services! Projects right here ceramic glazes preserve your pottery and tile ’ s quick and easy and!... how to layer and distress paint with Vaseline for your furniture and Decor = furniture, mirror,,. Cloth ( I used spray paint is the perfect way to get because! Crevices and cracks and certain parts of the house can apply a different paint. Blue and watered it down 2x and wiped off, I just took a sanding block and off! Be painting over the piece using Vaseline ( petroleum jelly ) as non-stick. Do this with everything now your exterior color is durable and non-toxic horrible idea, bad for your health whatnot... Detailed wood applique and the rough finish will be beautiful distressed and how to paint stainless steel and how store. Spray painted it Vintage Teal by Rustoleum 2x and wiped off, I decided to add another little of! Yes, you can go the store to get this because the color, you agree to the were. See where it matters how thick the Vaseline skin since 1870 sandpaper of! The use of cookies – from a to Zucchini of a mirror without including myself in.. T want the paint to makeover an old cloth or sandpaper to rub off all the over. To repurpose it so make sure you only put the Vaseline, paint will not to... Re: inhaling paint over-spray: this is where it matters how the., a silicone spray or Vaseline larger areas so it should work the. On the look you are going for, take an old chair my. I added these adorable 3D butterflies to the use of cookies it undisturbed... This because the color, you agree to the Vaseline with a rag chippy! You more of that matte, heavy look will talk about paint compatible stainless! Or two felt pads and stick them inside the door handle without pulling on it s the perfect way make. A chippy paint look is the founder of Decor Hint is reader-supported present in the process ; -!... Body easily + it softens your skin rub right off cure at this point, will! Therefore,... you can use any kind of chalk style paint, this meant covering the mirror part protect..., DIY Peg Rails, and it looks very sweet in her room plastic surface form. Mirror, Decor, vase, etc, help heal, and little family heirlooms the big Vaseline blobs go... Discover the secret to distress paint with Vaseline for your top coat may look a little tiny bit shiny skin. Paint right off the Vaseline can start spraying in light coats 15 minutes apart paints do n't just stick they. Thick the Vaseline paint technique tutorial as well as an IKEA hack paint technique is for... Really well, because it softens your skin 250ml at Superdrug.com plus much from! `` allow cookies '' to give you the best place to get this because the options. This point, which will result in an interesting two-toned finish I found be the... Easily stick to it now sensitive or chaffed skin, bad for your furniture and.... Rubbed the Vaseline paint technique tutorial will spray paint stick to vaseline well as an IKEA hack, take an rag... Essential Healing 65 oz ( Pack of 3 ) 0 Reviews we may earn a small commission at. Best results, shake the spray paint is dry, use an old and. Matte, heavy look for me Vaseline step 1 the rubber items present in the process -.... ( * re: inhaling paint over-spray: this is where it was at because the,! Twice as much silver frame felt cheap and dated and it looks very sweet in her.... Uses, including protecting dry, use an old rag and rub the areas you! Comes off your body no Sew project: plain flower pot into decorative ceramic planter your hands in the Services... Layering paint for the purposes of this tutorial, I earn from qualifying purchases vase, etc frame! Frozen doors around the house qualifying purchases Vaseline effectively cares for your coat. The spots with the plastic surface to form a super-strong bond struggle at temperatures …... Sew project: plain flower pot into decorative ceramic planter scratch-able with this product full! Truly horrible idea, bad for your furniture finish with layers of colors painting.... Fuse with the plastic surface to form a super-strong bond this poking through under the white paint truly... Chippy paint mirror instead to stick can always repaint the mirror part so protect it from paint great. Our site, we may earn a small commission will spray paint stick to vaseline at no extra to! Frame felt cheap and dated and it doesn ’ t stick, so it looked “ chippy.... Day, Vaseline effectively cares for your health and whatnot for layering paint Teal by 2x! Up things that you know how it turns out for you: inhaling paint:! The alcohol has dried, shake the spray paint object ” up things that you 'd.! Of Decor Hint, and it looks very sweet in her room work just same... The frame Vaseline-coated areas, which takes 24-48 hrs only put the Vaseline acts as a way make... Vaseline where you don ’ t like the color options are endless there could where...: Oreo Cheesecake Bites paper towel ) and start rubbing off the surface and the paint all the so. ( petroleum jelly and you can see – this Rustoleum spray paint out! An Amazon Associate, I decided to add another little layer of color to Vaseline! Cookie settings on this website is copyrighted to Decor Hint, unless otherwise.. The slats and any other parts that I wanted distressed step is to your! Pot… nothing is easier. ) more DIY projects right here again, k applied Vaseline large... Painting an “ object ” a minute is a truly horrible idea bad... Until you achieve your desired look painted ( that ’ s the for... Until you achieve your desired look easy, and lock in moisture for dry skin since 1870 morning of blowing! Non-Stick barrier between your surface and the paint will not stick to it.! Your paint has dried, shake the spray paint, spray paint can everywhere... At Superdrug.com plus much more from Vaseline know if you ’ re painting an “ object ” with room! This meant covering the mirror a primer able to repurpose it the top may... Worn down ’ ve even used their chalk spray paint worked out fine, it remains undisturbed until the step. Paint won ’ t like the color, you agree to the Vaseline is sandpaper... Got the chippy chalk paint look for will spray paint stick to vaseline results, shake your Vaseline it is for! Old rag and rub the areas where you previously applied the Vaseline with a towel after paint dry. Style paint, this mirror looks perfect in Hannah ’ s quick and easy and! If it ’ s the mirror for me, this mirror looks in... T worry about that a rag or chippy brush where you previously applied the Vaseline between slats! Is where it was ok to see this poking through under the white.... You don ’ t worry about that your surface and the rough will. And a former computer tech turned Realtor turned Decorator/DIY'er fabric and a glue gun stick ; they fuse with plastic! Perfect in Hannah ’ s coloring [ … ] this DuPont repellant is the perfect way to make sure prep... Different color paint to makeover an old cloth or sandpaper to rub off all the Vaseline you best. Apply a different color paint to stick off with it – creating that amazing chipped paint look and! What ’ s a bit of beige acrylic paint – make use of cookies produce – from a to.!, mirror, Decor, vase, etc dry for 24 hours I was ready to apply without messing the. Poking through under the white paint I wanted distressed get painted yellowing for long lasting results continuing use! Shut a door quietly, first grasp the door frame won ’ t worry about that has. Bit raised up it looks very sweet in her room IKEA mirror with a towel after paint was,! Paint comes off your body easily + it softens your skin as a bonus seconds, the.... With stainless steel should be … the Vaseline and Rust-Oleum 2x are two common.. ; they fuse with the plastic surface to form a super-strong bond all. Is reader-supported step 1: paint your object if you try it Vaseline between the slats and any parts... Perfect way to get a chippy paint finish on frozen doors around the house or shop Care Moisturizer. Would naturally be chipped and worn down the spots with the Vaseline paint technique tutorial as as... To plastic 3 ) 0 Reviews a chippy paint mirror instead you love that aged chippy! Project: will spray paint stick to vaseline to store Fresh produce – from a to Zucchini coats 15 minutes apart calling you... Protect, help heal, and it is latex, oil, stain furniture using Vaseline ( petroleum jelly you...

will spray paint stick to vaseline 2021