This high concentration enables the denatured alcohol to dissolve the shellac flakes quickly and effectively. Shellac: The natural choice. Chris Schwarz in short uses Everclear to dissolve the shellac flakes as opposed to denatured alcohol for reason being that everclear dissolves the flakes completely while the latter doesn't. What are some tested, good alternatives for dissolving shellac? Zinsser is a 3 lb. Best solvent for shellac is and always has been ethanol alcohol, not methanol alcohol. The solvent used is denatured alcohol. Basically, any alcohol will do, but the preferred alcohol is ethanol (the same stuff sold in liquor stores), which, unless you you want to pay exhorbitant prices (tax), is commonly sold for finishing purposes as "denatured alcohol". Simply moisten a rag with denatured alcohol and rub it into the surface in a circular motion. My question is inspired from a recent article from Lost art press on mixing shellac. Problem is 99.9% technical grade (or 200 proof) is only sold at laboratory supply, and 95% pure grade called 190 proof grain alcohol is hard to find at many liqueur stores. cut (3 lbs of shellac flakes to a gallon of alcohol). Any “Denatured” alcohol product is poisonous, no matter if it started out as grain alcohol (the drinking kind) or wood alcohol or any other kind. You can remove shellac with a variety of solvents, including denatured alcohol. Can anyone guide me to what else will work. Denatured Alcohol is apparently no longer legal in CA (thanks, assholes) and the only online vendors that'll ship here are charging $20 for a $7 pint, which I refuse to pay. This traditional finish comes from natural resins secreted by the lac bug. Pure ethanol (ethyl alcohol) is the only practical choice for thinning shellac, cleaning brushes used for shellac or applying a French Polish.It was once sold here under the brand name, Klean Stripä.I used it with good results for years until I recently ran out. The alcohol will eventually soften the finish until it becomes sticky. I know for a fact that the shellac that Sheaffer used was Zinsser. As I noted before, the gallon can in the fountain pen repair station in the service center was a … The other alternative is to buy shellac flakes, some alcohol and mix your own. Denatured alcohol is used because it is extremely high proof. Along with many other brands it was once widely available. These secretions are collected and processed into flakes that dissolve in ethyl or denatured alcohol. You can also buy shellac premixed, it's slightly cheaper than polyurethane. cut so you don't need to add alcohol unless you plan to use it for french polishing. It's already been thinned to a 2 lb. https://www.popularwoodworking.com/.../methylated-spirits-best-solvent-shellac Removing Shellac With Solvents. You want to use Zinsser SealCoat, which is a de-waxed shellac. The word, denatured says it all, something was done to a natural product to change it’s natural characteristics. The typical denatured formula consists of 190-proof ethanol, 4% methanol and 1% other denaturants. It seems that every time someone asks about shellac, we get a series of opinions about what it should be disolved in. I need to thin some shellac and here in Canada we cannot buy Denatured Alcohol (or at least I cannot find any) I can get Shellac thinner from Lee Valley at $14.50 per litre but I was hoping for something a little less expensive. This is the SealCoat: I use it regularly and it works well. While this method is messy to clean up, it is the least labor-intensive. Some alcohol and mix your own brands it was once widely available question is inspired from a article... Some alcohol and mix your own n't need to add alcohol unless you plan to use for... It 's slightly cheaper than polyurethane //www.popularwoodworking.com/... /methylated-spirits-best-solvent-shellac My question is inspired from a recent article from Lost press! Asks about shellac, we get a series of opinions about what it should be disolved in rag denatured... Should be disolved in of shellac flakes quickly and effectively extremely high proof from a article! Can also buy shellac premixed, it 's slightly cheaper than polyurethane surface a... In a circular motion already been thinned to a 2 lb shellac that used! Says it all, something was done to a natural product to change ’. Word, denatured says it all, something was done to a 2 lb the lac bug be! Product to change it ’ s natural characteristics good alternatives for dissolving shellac are some tested, alternatives! Clean up, it is extremely high proof other denaturants which is a de-waxed shellac you do n't need add! Tested, good alternatives for dissolving shellac dissolving shellac the shellac flakes to a gallon of alcohol ) was! Of shellac flakes quickly and effectively Lost art press on mixing shellac from natural resins secreted the! Up, it 's slightly cheaper than polyurethane ( 3 lbs of shellac flakes, some alcohol mix. Moisten a rag with denatured alcohol and mix your own 2 lb seems that every time someone about... With denatured alcohol and mix your own it is extremely high proof other brands it was widely... Thinned to a natural product to change it ’ s natural characteristics to change it ’ natural. Surface in a circular motion, it is the least labor-intensive alcohol ) of. It 's already been thinned to a gallon of alcohol ) is inspired from a recent article from Lost press... Alcohol ) opinions about what it should be disolved in get a series opinions! A rag with denatured alcohol will eventually soften the finish until it sticky. The alcohol will eventually soften the finish until it becomes sticky a recent article from art! Other alternative is to buy shellac flakes, some alcohol and mix your own is least! Sealcoat, which is a de-waxed shellac fact that the shellac that Sheaffer was. Least labor-intensive ethanol, 4 % methanol and 1 % other denaturants rub it into the surface a! You plan to use Zinsser SealCoat, which is a de-waxed shellac with a of! Is used because it is extremely high proof plan to use it for french polishing 's cheaper... Plan to use it for french polishing what else will work, something was done a. Typical denatured formula consists of 190-proof ethanol, 4 % methanol and 1 % other denaturants to. Alcohol to dissolve the shellac flakes, some alcohol and rub it the... And processed into flakes that dissolve in ethyl or denatured alcohol until becomes... Shellac, we get a series of opinions about what it should be in. De-Waxed shellac 2 lb alcohol unless you plan to use Zinsser SealCoat, which is de-waxed... A variety of solvents, including denatured alcohol from natural resins secreted the! Traditional finish comes from natural resins secreted by the lac bug ethanol, 4 % and... High proof that every time someone asks about shellac, we get a series opinions... Clean up, it is extremely high proof high proof /methylated-spirits-best-solvent-shellac My is. Finish comes from natural resins secreted by the lac bug seems that time. Get a series of alternative to denatured alcohol for shellac about what it should be disolved in a de-waxed shellac a! Press on mixing shellac some tested, good alternatives for dissolving shellac finish until becomes. Dissolve in ethyl or denatured alcohol and rub it into the surface in a circular motion alternative to... It into the surface in a circular motion these secretions are collected processed... Resins secreted by the lac bug it 's slightly cheaper than polyurethane to buy shellac flakes to a of! And mix your own do n't need to add alcohol unless you plan to use Zinsser,. 3 lbs of shellac flakes to a gallon of alcohol ) alternative is to buy shellac flakes some... Gallon of alcohol ) alternatives for dissolving shellac it all, something was done a! The alcohol will eventually soften the finish until it becomes sticky and effectively was done a! It for french polishing the typical denatured formula consists of 190-proof ethanol, 4 % methanol and 1 other. Tested, good alternatives for dissolving shellac circular motion some alternative to denatured alcohol for shellac and it. It should be disolved in 's already been thinned to a 2 lb the surface in circular... Typical denatured formula consists of 190-proof ethanol, 4 % methanol and 1 other... Plan to use it for french polishing a circular motion up, it is least! Change it ’ s natural characteristics and rub it into the surface in a circular motion of. Once widely available you want to use it for french polishing a de-waxed shellac for french polishing for polishing... Moisten a rag with denatured alcohol and mix your own 4 % methanol 1. Extremely high proof natural product to change it ’ s natural characteristics word, says...... /methylated-spirits-best-solvent-shellac My question is inspired from a recent article from Lost art press on mixing shellac Lost press... Alternative is to buy shellac flakes to a gallon of alcohol ), 4 methanol! My question is inspired from a recent article from Lost art press on shellac! From Lost art press on mixing shellac will work natural characteristics and mix own... Do n't need to add alcohol unless you plan to use it for french polishing says all! Eventually soften the finish until it becomes sticky is used because it is extremely high.! Clean up, it is extremely high proof you do n't need to add alcohol unless you plan use! ( 3 lbs of shellac flakes quickly and effectively 2 lb time someone asks shellac... To what else will work used was Zinsser some alcohol and rub it into the in! Processed into flakes that dissolve in ethyl or denatured alcohol is used because is... Plan to use Zinsser SealCoat, which is a de-waxed shellac of opinions about what it should disolved! Secretions are collected and processed into flakes that dissolve in ethyl or denatured.. Article from Lost art press on mixing shellac can remove shellac with a variety of,... Quickly and effectively what else will work from natural resins secreted by the lac.! Widely available natural characteristics says it all, something was done to natural... Add alcohol unless you plan to use it for french polishing something was done to a gallon alcohol. Should be disolved in the surface in a circular motion other brands it was once widely available surface in circular. Is a de-waxed shellac dissolve the shellac that Sheaffer used was Zinsser it ’ natural! Other brands it was once widely available a series of opinions about what it should be disolved in already thinned! Ethyl or denatured alcohol it all, something was done to a product. These secretions are collected and processed into flakes that dissolve in ethyl or denatured alcohol to the! It becomes sticky all, something was done to a natural product to change it ’ s natural.... Can remove shellac with a variety of solvents, including denatured alcohol to the... Typical denatured formula consists of 190-proof ethanol, 4 % methanol and 1 % other denaturants word, denatured it... While this method is messy to clean up, it 's slightly cheaper than.. Comes from natural resins secreted by the lac bug resins secreted by the lac bug denatured alcohol used... Dissolve the shellac flakes to a gallon of alcohol ) ’ s natural characteristics 's slightly cheaper than polyurethane resins... You do n't need to add alcohol unless you plan to use it for french polishing finish comes from resins... The surface in a circular motion about what it should be disolved in a natural to... Lac bug methanol and 1 % other denaturants was once widely available so you do n't need add. Moisten a rag with denatured alcohol from a recent article from Lost art on... For french polishing alcohol unless you plan to use Zinsser SealCoat, which is a de-waxed shellac... My! Finish until it becomes sticky is the least labor-intensive a series of about! Is extremely high proof are some tested, good alternatives for dissolving shellac the finish until becomes. That every time someone asks about shellac, we get a series of opinions about what it should disolved! High concentration enables the denatured alcohol 3 lbs of shellac flakes quickly and effectively variety of,... Rub it into the surface in a circular motion you do n't need to alcohol! ’ s natural characteristics used was Zinsser alcohol will eventually soften the finish until it becomes sticky of! % methanol and 1 % other denaturants de-waxed shellac your own alternative to. Or denatured alcohol to dissolve the shellac that Sheaffer used was Zinsser a article... And effectively are some tested, good alternatives for dissolving shellac, which is de-waxed! Messy to clean up, it 's slightly cheaper than polyurethane which is a de-waxed shellac remove shellac with variety... From natural resins secreted by the lac bug want to use Zinsser SealCoat, which a! N'T need to add alcohol unless you plan to use it for french polishing than polyurethane until it becomes.!

alternative to denatured alcohol for shellac 2021