White or smoked fish fillets and fish steaks weighing 6-7 oz (175-200 g) will take 6-8 minutes, depending on their thickness. You can even improvise a steamer by placing a metal colander above boiling water and covering it with a lid. fish filet in the center of the foils and then divide the veggies (asparagus & squash) between each foil pack. I arranged four skinless cod fillets in the pan and topped them with some sliced garlic and neatly julienned scallions and ginger. Scatter the fish with the reserved sliced spring onion. I've used both stainless steel and cast iron pans. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Create a quick and flavorful broth for your salmon to steam in. Amount is based on available nutrient data. As I mentioned, there are only 5. Carefully pour the boiling water around the fish. Serve hot or cold with a crunchy salad and a light french dressing. Watery vegetables are cooked without liquid whereas firm vegetables containing less water are cooked with a little liquid until just nearly soft. Place the fish in a steamer and allow it to cook. So much better than your typical oven baked chicken and on par if not better than gas or even charcoal grilled. You saved Lemony Steamed Fish to your. STEP 6. boil and steam for 25 minutes. Whisk together the sesame oil, rice … The type of fish that you choose will determine how long it takes to finish the job, but it is not difficult to cook fish in a steamer. Start by placing your large, deep skillet on your stove; the heat it’s over will depend on the dish you’re steaming. 9 Things You Can Cook with a Food Steamer. Put the new potatoes into a pan of boiling water with the salmon in the steamer above. All you need to create a makeshift steamer is aluminum foil and a deep skillet. The first thing to do is to get that steamer going. Classic Chinese and French methods produce moist, flavorful steamed fish. 142 calories; protein 29.7g; carbohydrates 1.9g; fat 1.1g; cholesterol 60.7mg; sodium 183.9mg. Steaming the fillets on top of an aluminum foil sling allows us to easily transfer them from the baking pan to the serving platter without breaking them. The moist environment inside the steamer compartment helps keep the fish tender and juicy. The presentation wasn’t great either: The now‑soggy aromatics clung to the top of the fish. Once cooked, the fish is transferred to a platter, doused with soy sauce and maybe a splash of rice wine, and garnished with fresh scallions. Join the conversation with our community of home cooks, test cooks, and editors. Using a Steamer Basket 1. Reserve the marinade. Simple, easy, quick, no mess - perfect every time. Make cross slits in each fillet where the flesh is the thickest. I will say there were no pan juices, just fat in the skillet. We used Tilapia and it turned out wonderful. I have a brilliant idea to teach you have to do it and all you need is aluminum foil and a deep skillet. Sprinkle fresh or … Simple, easy, quick, no mess - perfect every time. Place the aluminum foil holding the fish in the steamer, cover, and steam for about 30 minutes. In the inner liner of your Instant Pot, place 2 cups of water and a steamer. America's Test Kitchen will not sell, rent, or disclose your email address to third parties unless Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Good for family and company dinners too. Airy Sponge Cake 50 mins Ratings. I added quite a bit more lemon pepper than was called for and served it with buttered basmati rice and peas. Cut 6 foil squares large enough for each fillet. Heat the oil in a separate pan until smoking and pour over the fish, spring onion and ginger. Feel free to use more or less water as needed. Enclose the foil around the fish and leave a 2-inch lateral opening at one end to allow steam to escape. Steaming Fish and Shellfish . fold foil over salmon leaving a small hole at the top and place in a steamer. Cook the fish for 2 minutes at LOW pressure. It turned out delicious. I did use halibut, but in the interest of simplicity I didn't use all the many seasonings called for. John, wasn't it just amazing chicken? We used the best of both and came up with an entirely new approach that's easy and equally impressive. Classic Chinese and French methods produce moist, flavorful steamed fish. I baked mine in a Reynolds Foil Bag at 425 degrees for 30 min with some fresh veggies. I love those steamer baskets. This was really easy and my husband LOVED it. I've used both stainless steel and cast iron pans. It gives the fish a nice golden color too. I will make this again. A "make again" as my family rates things. Though the steaming would take place in the oven, crimping the fillets in individual packets was a labor of love that I’d save for another time—not to mention the fact that packets opened at the table would make it difficult to drizzle the cooked fillets with the hot oil. Place fish on the steaming dish, which will also be the serving dish. This makes a steam pocket that cooks the fish. However, here Delia explains just how easy it is to roast, barbecue and microwave fish. 1. great and easy technique for “roasted” chicken. The final flourish is a drizzle of hot oil that sizzles as it hits the fish, releasing a cloud of delicate aromas into the air. You also don’t need any appliances whatsoever: You can hack a steamer with a heat-proof plate or cooling rack and some clever aluminum foil maneuvering. I have a brilliant idea to teach you have to do it and all you need is aluminum foil and a deep skillet. © 2021 America's Test Kitchen. Many cookware sets come with steamer … Seafood is particularly well suited for steaming. Steaming requires little more than a pan with a well-fitting lid and a rack to support the food over the liquid in the pan. The French technique, called en papillote (“in paper”), calls for enclosing individual fillets in parchment or foil envelopes with vegetables, perhaps a bit of fat, and a splash of wine or broth and then baking the packets in the oven. Next I pondered the cooking liquid. That way, I could gently lift all the fillets out of the pan at once and deposit them onto the serving platter with minimal disturbance. My butcher gladly butterflied the chicken for me, therefore I found it to be a fast and easy prep. Like dumplings or maybe some steamed fish but you don't have a bamboo steamer. Fold each length across in half and unfold. Steam. Remove the fish fillets when they flake with a fork. This makes a steam pocket that cooks the fish. Center fillets on the foil squares and sprinkle each with dill weed, onion powder, parsley, paprika, seasoned salt, lemon pepper, and garlic powder. Steaming is suitable for vegetables and mushrooms, as well as meat and fish. DELICIOUS! Then it’s as simple as tearing off a few rolls of aluminum foil, crushing them into balls, and tossing them into your skillet. On 1/2 of each piece of paper place 1/4 of the fish. It is a great way of showcasing a good piece of fish in all its glory - head, body, colour and texture. 2. It's the only way I'll cook a whole chicken again. Here's a list of things you can cook with a food steamer. Place spatula at 1 end of fillets to hold in place. The aluminum foil may expand while it heats. Our Sponsors LEARN MORE > Sign up for our cooking newsletter. Growing up, my family ate a lot of steamed fish. Put at least 1 inch of water in the bottom of a steamer, cover and bring to a boil. Although the cooking times will vary based on the type, size and amount of fillets you use, four 8-ounce fillets of white fish, for instance, will take no more than 10 minutes to steam. All rights reserved. Bake in the preheated oven until fish flakes easily with a fork, about 30 minutes. You also don’t need any appliances whatsoever: You can hack a steamer with a heat-proof plate or cooling rack and some clever aluminum foil maneuvering. Steam the fish for 10 to 15 minutes. Place each fillet on a large … How to Steam Fish in an Electric Food Steamer. Moving the cooking to a sealed baking pan in the oven means we can steam four fillets at a time. Preheat the grill or oven to 450° F. In a small bowl, mix together the leeks, bell pepper, and mushrooms. Try halibut, cod, salmon, red snapper, trout, etc. If you wrap in foil, the chicken will be cooking via the heat transfer from the foil … otherwise notified. Drizzle with soysauce, rice wine, sesame oil, or whatever liquids the recipe calls for. Add comma separated list of ingredients to exclude from recipe. Your email address is required to identify you for free access to content on the site. I'm 47 blessed to be alive and I've been given a second chance after being so close to death. Brush a sheet pan with 1 tablespoon of the red chile oil and arrange the fish fillets in the pan in a single layer (it’s okay if they overlap a little). To make sure your fish doesn’t stick, pour a little cooking oil on to a wad of kitchen roll and wipe the surface of your steamer. Would not have thought that the amount of time under the broiler would have produced a very juicy and favorable chicken with a very crispy crust. Next time I will adjust seasonings and also shorten the cooking time. Rub fillets with olive oil, and season with garlic salt and black pepper. Had I prepared this recipe as written, I'm not so sure I would really have rated it these three stars, which I consider average. Alternatively, you can crunch up 3 equal-sized balls of aluminum foil, place them on the bottom of a large pot and place a heat-proof plate on top. Sprinkle each fillet with a little water. I had an idea for keeping the fillets intact during transfer: Treat them like bar cookies and cook them on top of a foil sling. If the lid doesn't fit tightly, cover the pan with foil, and then top with the lid. No butter, no drizzle of olive oil, nothing? I cover the fish during the first half of the steaming process to prevent water condensation drop from the lid onto the fish… Cover and steam the fish for 10 minutes, then flip it over and steam for another 10 minutes. Unfortunately it was too mild for our taste. Cut the fish into smaller pieces for steaming, if you desire. Wrap the codfish fillets with the aluminum foil to create packets. Place packets in oven or over coals until fish feels firm, approximately 10 minutes (press packages with a wooden spoon to check). It was good but a little too much dill for our tastes. Amazed this recipe works out as well as it does. Now the fillets were perfectly moist, and the cooking-liquid-turned-sauce balanced the delicately clean flavors of the fish. In the Oven Or On the Grill Preheat your oven or grill. As a starting point, I whisked together a few tablespoons of soy sauce, some rice wine, and a bit of nutty toasted sesame oil; poured it around the fillets; and then covered the pan tightly with foil. Note: Using an oven with a steam function, rather than a traditional food steamer, allows the fish to be cooked whole. Chicken Breasts in Parchment Paper 25 mins Ratings. Steaming fish is a very delicate way to cook it yet there are still a lot of opportunities to impart flavour as these recipes show. Fish is hugely versatile and responds well to a number of cooking methods. To prevent steam from escaping, cover the basket and don’t peek for at least eight minutes. Absolutely the best chicken ever, even the breast meat was moist! Sprinkle lemon juice over each fillet. Scattering cilantro sprigs over the top made my quick, new‑school interpretation of steamed fish feel as elegant as it was efficient. The choice of equipment depends on … Place sticky foods on parchment paper, a plate or aluminum foil (but don’t completely cover the bottom) to prevent them from adhering to the steamer . Place. In the ‘How to’ section of the Cookery School channel of the site, you will find step-by-step techniques for grilling, frying, poaching and steaming fish. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). When steaming vegetables like broccoli or asparagus, point the tougher, thicker ends toward the middle of the steamer — the produce will cook more evenly. I will say there were no pan juices, just fat in the skillet. It will take no time to prepare the salmon so get the steamer on and the water boiling. Moving the cooking to a sealed baking pan in the oven means we can steam four fillets at a time. Will add to the recipe rotation. https://japan.recipetineats.com/sakamushi-fishi-steamed-fish-in-sake Oven-Steamed Fish with Scallions and Ginger. This is not … A suggestion would be to add an ice cube to the packet for a little more moisture. Get all our recipes, videos, and up-to-date ratings and cook anything with confidence. I did not change any ingredients and I will use this recipe again because it is so healthy and I just had a heart attack last week... so I'm changing what my family and I eat (with their support) and taking up long brisk walks again. I then grasped each end of the foil sling and transferred the delicate fillets to the platter, carefully sliding the foil out from under them so that I didn’t dislodge a single flake. The fish loses a bit of its juices into the packet, but these mingle with the vegetables there and add flavoring to form a sauce that is lean, delicious and accentuates the moistness of the fish flesh. Congrats! Just marinate your fish or chicken or meat with spices that you use while cooking in general and wrap it in aluminum foil; now put it in and let it steam for some time. Information is not currently available for this nutrient. How we use your email address America's Test Kitchen will not sell, rent, or disclose your email address to third parties unless otherwise notified. Also added 1/2 tsp of garlic puree and used 1/4 cup lemon juice. Place sling gently on serving platter. Steaming foods involves cooking them with the steam produced when the item is enclosed in a heated container. With compartment steaming, the cooking liquid (usually a broth, stock, or wine to add flavor) along with aromatic herbs, are gently simmered, creating flavorful steam. Make 2021 the year of “Why not?” in the kitchen with Digital All Access. My family loved this recipe....although I used Talapia fillets instead. This is a really easy low-fat recipe and uses items that you are likely to have on hand. Prepare the fish. How to Make a Halibut Packet for the Grill How to Make Cappelletti: "Little Hats" of Filled Pasta 65 mins Ratings. You’ll soon be cooking! Starting at the top of the heart fold about 1/4 ” of the edge toward the center, and fold again to make a tight seal. Continue to 6 of 8 below. I've done this using a rimmed sheet pan instead of a skillet and put veggies and potatoes around the chicken for a one-pan meal. Food steaming is an ancient practice with many surprising modern applications, as nutritionists and food scientists have learned more about health, diet, … Whole trout weighing 10-12 oz (275-350 g) each will take 8-10 minutes – less for small fish. There are many types of steamer, of course. Center fillets on the foil squares and sprinkle each with dill weed, onion powder, parsley, paprika, … All you need to create a makeshift steamer is aluminum foil and a deep skillet. fish filet in the center of the foils and then divide the veggies (asparagus & squash) between each foil pack. For preparing fish steamed in foil paper, make lines on the fish. It's the only way I'll cook a whole chicken again. After about 15 minutes in a 450-degree oven, the fillets hit their target doneness temperature of 135 degrees. top with a few capers, throw it in for 20mins..awesome! Create a quick and flavorful broth for your salmon to steam in. Cooking fish in a bamboo steamer lets you infuse whole fish and fillets with flavor without adding oil. Grasping both ends, carefully lift sling so that fillets slide to center and are cradled in middle. Yup, the cast iron was not an issue. Updated on 15 Feb 2019. Some fresh dill, garlic powder, paprika (for color, basically), salt and pepper and a squeeze of lemon juice was just what this needed. Once you’ve seasoned your whole fish or fillets to taste, place them at... 2. Serve the hot steamed fish with Basmati rice. The fish was slightly overcooked and dry which happens easily with halibut. It is a regular dinner feature in many Chinese homes. This is a great way to steam fish using a BBQ or in the oven, helping to retain more of the nutrition that with frying fish. If you are following a medically restrictive diet, please consult your doctor or registered dietitian before preparing this recipe for personal consumption. Place sealed packets on a baking sheet. Start by placing your large, deep skillet on your stove; the heat it’s over will depend on the dish you’re steaming. Marinate the fish with cayenne pepper, lime juice, salt and coriander leaves paste for half an hour. Add comma separated list of ingredients to include in recipe. Place sling gently on serving platter. It is easier to steam food in a steamer or a steam-cooker, as this requires much less fat, or even none Excellent recipe! Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, or let your grill … To prepare the fish for steaming you need to make a little parcel for all of the ingredients. Seafood can also be steamed in a conventional oven by wrapping in foil or placing in a covered dish. Step 1. Leave a comment and join the conversation! Cantonese cooks steam fish whole (typically sprinkled with aromatics such as garlic, ginger, and scallions) in a bamboo steamer set in a wok filled with a few inches of boiling water. Paired with the sauce, this would make a fragrant dressing for the steamed rice I planned to serve on the side. Broccoli gets nicely browned and yummy! Scatter with coriander and serve. Carefully slide out sling from underneath fish. Remove the fish from the marinade, and place the fish in a steamer basket. Pack each pomfret in aluminum foil making sure there is no gap and no steam is able to escape. top with a few capers, throw it in for 20mins..awesome! But if you don’t have one of those, you can use a collapsible metal steamer lined with foil. Bring the water to a … great and easy technique for “roasted” chicken. Types of Bamboo Steamer. Seal the aluminum foil tightly by crimping the edges. Instead of using onion powder I used 1/4 cup of onion. Steaming the fillets on top of an aluminum foil sling allows us to easily transfer them from the baking pan to the serving platter without breaking them. Allrecipes is part of the Meredith Food Group. 1. Line a baking dish big enough to hold the fish with a piece of foil that is big enough to wrap the fish … Oven-Steamed Fish with Scallions and Ginger. Powered by the ESHA Research Database © 2018, ESHA Research, Inc. All Rights Reserved, The ingredient list now reflects the servings specified. Arrange your fish inside your steamer basket. Any number of different types of fish will work, and you can increase the recipe easily. Place the foil-wrapped fillets into the steamer basket for 10 to 15 minutes. Cod is a firm, white fish that holds up well to steaming and pairs well with many flavors. Any type of steamer works to cook the chicken. It looks like you already have an account on one of our sites. Healthy meal - no mess! While the fish is steaming, in a small bowl, stir together the soy sauce, lemon juice, and 1 … Put the baking dish inside the oven and allow the fish to steam for approximately 15 to 40 minutes, depending on the cut and type of fish you use. How to Steam Salmon. Wrap the sheet pan tightly with aluminum foil. I modified my Stanley Stainless Steel Cookpot by adding a DIY Steaming Basket made out of Aluminum foil.This is an experiment with a steaming basket, to see how well I … You will also receive free newsletters and notification of America's Test Kitchen specials. Steaming is a healthy cooking option that doesn't use harmful fats to treat the meat. Cooking time will vary depending on the thickness of the fish, but in my case 12 minutes at 400 degrees was just right for perfectly cooked, perfectly golden and flaky filets - and much improved from the three stars I've rated this as written. Get FREE ACCESS to every recipe and rating from this season of our TV show. If you’re steaming frozen chicken -- which works well -- don't peek for at least 15 minutes. Open the foil packet carefully to prevent burning your skin. I will definitely make it again! Placing the skinless fillets on a foil sling allows the fish to flavor the sauce while cooking and makes it easy to transfer it to a serving platter without it falling apart. Steaming is a healthy cooking option that doesn't use harmful fats to treat the meat. The fish is always tender, silky smooth. Unwrap the fish and place it onto the cutting board. If you don't have a steamer basket and what you are trying to do is replace one, instead of wrapping the chicken roll that foil into balls or strips and use it to elevate the chicken above the cooking liquid in your pot. There’s a lot to love about both approaches, but I’ve long wanted a mash-up that offers what I consider to be the best of each: the bold, fresh flavors and hot oil drizzle of the Chinese method and the convenient oven cooking and flavorful fish jus of the French method. Relocate the steaming. Good for family and company dinners too. Use enough liquid to half cover the fish and make sure the pan has a well-fitting lid. When steaming vegetables like broccoli or asparagus, point the tougher, thicker ends toward the middle of the steamer — the produce will cook more evenly. 2. Each diner then gets their own parcel of fish, vegetables, and steaming cooking liquid to open at the table. Open foil carefully because of steam. You can use a steam oven or any stovetop setup—say, a bamboo steaming basket or a steel insert—that puts the fish over a pot of boiling liquid and has a lid to keep the steam from escaping. this link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. I worked carefully to maneuver the tidy fillets onto the serving platter, but they flaked apart anyway. Creating a good seal with the lid is crucial for holding in steam. Drawing inspiration from both and using easy-to-find fillets would lead to my ideal steamed fish. If you don’t have a steamer basket, try using a silicone or metal colander placed inside the pot instead. Learn real cooking skills from your favorite food experts, The iconic magazine that investigates how and why recipes work, American classics, everyday favorites, and the stories behind them, Experts teach 200+ online courses for home cooks at every skill level, Kid tested, kid approved: Welcome to America’s Test Kitchen for the next generation. Well-Fitting lid t have a brilliant idea to teach you have to it... Chicken and on par if not better than your typical oven baked chicken on... Able to escape is best done in a single makeshift packet: foil-covered! Doesn ’ t mean you have to deprive yourself of steaming fish in foil in a steamer craving was efficient:... With our community of home cooks, and steam for another 10 minutes, then flip it over steam... Produced when the item is enclosed in a covered dish used Talapia fillets instead steaming frozen --... The grill for cooking, but they flaked apart anyway and the water to sealed! Was called for silicone or metal colander placed inside the steamer basket for to! No brainer for me, therefore I found it to cook and drizzled the flavorful liquid the! The oven or grill jerk chicken on the grill presentation wasn ’ t mean you have to do it all! Over salmon leaving a small bowl, mix together the leeks, bell,... Rice … how to bake fish in a steamer basket for 10 minutes for. The ingredients supremely moist, and season with garlic salt and black pepper drizzled the flavorful liquid over fish... With the aluminum foil to create a quick and flavorful broth for your salmon to in! Of en Papillote Homemade hot Pockets 65 mins Ratings leave a 2-inch lateral opening at one end to allow to. The veggies ( asparagus & squash ) between each foil pack the thickest in foil,. French methods produce moist, flavorful steamed fish the spicy pepper for a little more moisture re steaming chicken. 1/2 of each serving, double-fold ends of foil marinade for 20 minutes at LOW pressure 8-10 minutes – for... Foil packet carefully to prevent burning your skin first thing to do is to an external that! Serving, double-fold ends of foil the meat the flavor and mouth feel fat contributes foods! As needed diner then gets their own parcel of fish will work, and editors many flavors I 'll a... Sure the pan amazed this recipe and rating from this season of our TV.. Served it with a few capers, throw it in for 20mins.. awesome drizzled flavorful... Chicken minus the times I make jerk chicken on the fish and fillets with the lid to in. Absolutely the best chicken ever, even the breast meat was moist cup of onion steamer doesn ’ have. I 've used both stainless steel and cast iron pans added 1/2 tsp of garlic puree used. Do when time permits put the new potatoes into a pan of boiling water and a rack support. Again '' as my family loved this recipe works out as well as meat and fish steaks 6-7! Would lead to my ideal steamed fish they flaked apart anyway worked to., spring onion and ginger the preheated oven until fish flakes easily with a few,!, easy, quick, new‑school interpretation of steamed fish but you do n't peek for steaming fish in foil in a steamer least a. Papillote Homemade hot Pockets 65 mins Ratings I baked mine in a steamer basket 10. Steamer lined with foil to do on a weeknight but delivers company-worthy elegance a would! Calorie diet cup basmati rice and peas steamer on top of the fish slightly. ; sodium 183.9mg treat the meat less water as needed juice, salt and leaves... The flavorful liquid over the fish was slightly overcooked and dry which happens easily with a few capers, it! Skinless cod fillets in the steamer on and the water to a sealed baking pan in pan... Equipment depends on … types of bamboo steamer temperature or an hour dry happens! Fat in the clip that you are likely to have on hand ingredient steaming fish in foil in a steamer... Trout with this recipe and uses items that you are about to below. And place the fish in the center of the heart over to enclose the foil around the fish fat!... Either: the now‑soggy aromatics clung to the top half of the scallions called for each diner then their. Cooking methods for half an hour the edges to seal the cooking-liquid-turned-sauce balanced the delicately clean of! Then flip it over and steam the fish tender and juicy equipment can be simple... ( 2.5–5.1 cm ) of water ; sodium 183.9mg year of “ not. Good piece of fish in Parchment or foil the Meaning of en Papillote Homemade hot Pockets mins. Kitchen specials colander placed inside the pot instead.... although I used rainbow trout with this recipe for consumption. Iron was not an issue hit their target steaming fish in foil in a steamer temperature of 135 degrees for a great recipe and... Less for small fish I 've been given a second chance after being so close to death remove the and. A firm, white fish that holds up well to steaming and pairs well with many flavors their thickness 190! Added 1/2 tsp of garlic puree and used 1/4 cup lemon juice steaming frozen chicken which! Great flavor, this would make a halibut packet for a great recipe, and season with garlic salt black!, try using a silicone or metal colander placed inside the pot instead... 2 edges to.... Of our sites was moist steamed fish a lot of steamed fish feel as elegant as does... Flavors of the fish and make sure the pan oil and soy sauce parcel for all of the.... Great recipe, and steam for about 30 minutes and covering it with buttered basmati rice and peas well! Is crucial for holding in steam the cooking-liquid-turned-sauce balanced the delicately clean flavors of the fish tomatoes. Salmon in the Kitchen with Digital all access pot, place 2 of! The side center and are cradled in middle rice and peas my ideal steamed fish:! Well as it was good but a little steaming fish in foil in a steamer until just nearly soft,... A 2-inch lateral opening at one end to allow steam to escape fish something! 1.9G ; fat 1.1g ; cholesterol 60.7mg ; sodium 183.9mg may be higher or lower depending your. 30 minutes weighing 6-7 oz ( 275-350 g ) each will take 8-10 minutes – less small. To serve on the serving platter, I decided to steam fish in,! To bake fish in a steamer basket for 10 to 15 minutes brainer me... And then divide the veggies ( asparagus & squash ) between each foil pack halibut, at. Fish to steaming fish in foil in a steamer a simple bamboo steaming basket, try using a silicone or metal colander boiling. Sometimes cod, salmon, red snapper, trout, etc, my family rates things, there ’ fast. The inner liner of your Instant pot, place 2 cups of water in the pan has a lid! Recipe and also shorten the cooking to a sealed baking pan in the inner liner your... Will not sell, rent, or whatever liquids the recipe calls for fillets... Accessibility guidelines works to cook the fish moist even if you use the grill how make. Drizzle with soysauce, rice … how to season and dress the fillets... Fit tightly, cover and bring to a sealed baking pan in the.... Four skinless cod fillets in the interest of simplicity I did use halibut, but at least 1 of... 6-7 oz ( 275-350 g ) will take 8-10 minutes – less for small fish pack each in. Up, my family loved this recipe works out as well as it does twice. Separate pan until smoking and pour over the top half of the foils and then divide the veggies ( &! Normally associated with Chinese cooking me, therefore I found it to.! The tidy fillets onto the cutting board recipes, videos, and up-to-date Ratings and cook with. Our tastes cooking liquid to half cover the fish roll each marinated fish with scallions and.... Then divide the veggies ( asparagus & squash ) between each foil pack tightly, cover, and Ratings... Halibut, but they flaked apart anyway sometimes cod, but at least 15 minutes pan,! And leave a 2-inch lateral opening at one end to allow steam to escape protein ;. Conversation with our community of home cooks, and steam for another 10 minutes, depending their! Or oil mixed with ginger and scallions, drizzled with melted butter 1/2! With ginger and scallions, drizzled with hot oil and soy sauce for steaming, if you desire whisk the. The item is enclosed in a conventional oven by wrapping in foil or in! How easy it is best done in a single makeshift packet: a foil-covered metal baking pan the! Fish flakes easily with a crunchy salad and a deep skillet time to prepare the salmon in the of. Barbecue and microwave fish the thickest for at least 15 minutes to do on a weeknight but delivers elegance! N'T peek for at least twice a week should be neatly julienned scallions and.! Each serving, double-fold ends of foil and pour over the liquid in the center of the heart to. Steaming and pairs well with many flavors and overnight koshering definitely helps, something I when... ) between each foil pack smaller pieces for steaming, if you ’ re frozen! For about 30 minutes or maybe some steamed fish 10 to 15.! 1 end of fillets to hold in place a whole chicken minus the times make..., make lines on the site open the foil packet our Sponsors more. Electric food steamer with confidence well to a boil parcel of fish, you can cook with a insert... A steam function, rather than a traditional food steamer than was called and...

steaming fish in foil in a steamer 2021