The coat is sloppy though, too thick, and on some minis I have some strange coagulation effects. the thing is, most places only mention acrylic paints, so i dunno if these have any effect on them. Boiling water and detergent. While it may be easy to strip paint from metal, wood, or ceramic, plastic requires more careful attention to keep the material intact. If there are any doubts or query on how to remove paint from the plastic surface or any topic in general, contact us through our comment section and we will get in contact with you as soon as possible. a strong gel-type paint stripper), which could also damage the window lite. Boil it in a mixture of water with a few scoops of Tide in it. This is the safest way to get the paint off plastic, and it works best if the paint hasn't set on the surface for too long. Acrylics dry fast and are non-toxic, but they can leave brushstroke marks. It's a Tamiya motorcycle kit and I spray painted the pieces which went on too thick. How to Remove Paint from Metal and Plastic Models with Dettol. Glueing the parts together. Step 1 – Use a Paint Scraper Next, take the plastic bristle brush and apply more force than the prior brush. Painting & Modeling. Painting plastic and getting the paint to stay can be challenging. Hobby. Dan. Thursday, October 4, 2007. Try Soap and Water First When dealing with unwanted paint on plastic, the first removal method you try should be soapy water. This might have been posted before, did not find a thread though. Use a paint scraper or a putty knife to remove the existing paint from the plastic item. The preparation phase is one of the most important parts of the job if you want the paint to last. All about plastic model kits, decals and paints! Scrub in various motions back and forth as if you are brushing your teeth. A guy was trying to remove paint from a plastic Hot Toys Boba Fett helmet. Starting with primer. I have some minis basecoated with Citadel Skull White Paint (comes in a spray can). I will also use paint thinner to soften paint buildup around detailed areas keeping in mind that you do not want to ruin the plastic. In addition to plastic, this model includes resin pieces (white) and photoetched metal (gold). Each has pros and cons. Remember, sharing knowledge only helps you improve it. Do not use anything to dry the parts -- leave them to dry naturally with air contact. Plastic model kits are replicas of various subjects, ranging from military (aircraft, ships, tanks) to science fiction (Star Wars, Star Trek, space), from model cars and trucks to figure models. Primer will give all these materials the same receptive base coat for further painting. Building plastic models is a hobby that is enjoyed by millions of people for decades and model paint is an unfortunate circumstance of the hobby. There comes a time in every hobbyist's life when he looks at his painted and thinks "I really want to start over." For plastic models, what this does is help loosen the paint for the plastic bristle brush you will use next. Next, scrape the straight edge across the paint, continuing until all of the paint is gone. This removes all traces of molding agents used in the plastic injection process. This paint can be removed without damaging the plastic as we will see later. How to Remove Decals From Any Metal, Plastic, or Painted Surface by Allen Moore . Help with removing paint from Warhammer figures [plastic and metal]. Spray painting plastic is a burdensome task, but not as burdensome as trying to remove the same paint from the material.Plastic, unlike ceramic, wood, or metal, needs to be given more attention, so it will not break. Model kits reviews and a lot of intersting information! Other removers are only partially safe for PS - sure they remove the paint but plastic becomes discoloured, brittle or swollen, contact time is limited. Hi everyone, I've wanted to repaint some of my figures for a while now as I painted them pretty badly, but I also have some old Warhammer 40k figures (that were given as a gift) that I want to strip the paint off. Acetone is an ingredient that is well known for breaking most bonding agents such as model glue and rubber cement. Just finished stripping paint off a model car someone painted purple. This also works on many plastic models but test the plastic first so you don't end up with Steve McQueen's Blob. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you: No adverts like this in the forums anymore. Step 1 Dip the cotton swab or cotton square into the acetone-based fingernail polish remover. To remove dried paint from plastic, start by applying some rubbing alcohol to the paint, which will help loosen it so it's easier to scrape off. It is a tricky task to remove paint from plastic. Author Message Subject: Advert. Before you start painting, all parts must be washed with water and detergent, the same type as used for dishes. Lorddrake. Model building is serious endeavor for many hobbyists and avid modelers are frequently adverse to chrome plating on model parts because it looks unrealistic and cannot be glued to other parts with traditional modeler’s plastic cement. So Id like to remove the paint … This would likely also work to remove the paint from any plastic model that had been printed from a 3D printer and painted. Then, hold a straight edge, like a paint scraper, your fingernail, or a flathead screwdriver, at an angle against the paint. To make your model you’ll need a special plastic glue. Many modelers forgo primer in favor of applying as little paint as possible to preserve engraved details such as panel lines and hatches. In some cases, a razor blade can be an appropriate tool for dried and thick acrylic paint. I Would like to remove the old paint and use an air brush this time. Sometimes a small plastic residue needs to be removed with a knife or file for the parts to fit perfectly. Tweet 0. Remove paint from plastic by soaking My favorite method to remove paint from small plastic items is to soak it in a purple cleaner like Super Clean . Brake fluid can serve as an acceptable alternative to paint stripper for removing paint from small metal or plastic objects. P.S. Experienced painters know you should go to the bare metal or plastic and start over for the best results. Don't drink the liqueur when finished stripping. This will not remove the majority of the paint for plastic. Login or register to post comments + + Fri, 2011-01-21 19:26 — MarcFo45 (not verified) Cheap Brake fluid. When striving to remove the decals, remain aware of potential damage you can cause to the surface sporting the decal; take it off the wrong way, and you can cause serious damage to the vehicle. I told him that was acetone and it would damage the plastic, so he asked me if there was any way to safely remove paint from plastic. How to remove paint from plastic models . We recommend our Contacta Professional liquid glue. 5. In that case, you want to get a scraper, knife, or a razor blade, and start scraping the paint off. Also, share the article to spread the information as it may also come in handy to your friends or family. To remove paint from a contoured plastic surface like a chair, use a razor blade in the manner described above. Now, if you’d like to remove it for cleaning and/or to paint it, it’s possible to remove it. Advert : Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. He used "nail polish remover" to remove the paint and of course it dissolved some of the plastic. Limiting contact time doesn't work as we want do clean thoroughly and leave out as little paint as possible. These solvents will obviously work for spray paint on other surfaces. I will take you through three of the best methods I know of stripping paint on your used or badly painted models. Brake fluid is commonly used in the wargaming and modeling community by modelers looking to remove an old paint job in preparation for a new one. These range from metal (lead), metal fine cast of more recent LOTR models to plastic models. 0. Scrape off the paint gently and avoid putting too much pressure on it. Model glue is basically super glue that can bond wood and plastic variety models. Here are a few tips that will help you. You only want to try this if the paint is thick and has hardened so much that most solvents will not work. There are solvents out there that will easily damage or even melt plastic, so make sure to use plastic-safe paint removal products or methods like these.. Rio Grande Dan . Paint Scraper; Again, before we start, this is not the ideal method. Then start the uneven paint removal with a rough grit sanding being very careful not to sand into any plastic detail of your model. A plastic model kit is a scale model that consists of unassembled plastic parts, and is available in “snap-together” form or for assembly using plastic glue. You also need to use the right products to ensure they stick well to plastic without bubbling or peeling off after application. You paint a model badly or glue a part in the wrong place or just buy a used model that you want to repaint to fit your scheme. Model paint rarely stays on the model and will inevitably find its way onto your carpet or hardwood floors. Times and dates in your local timezone. Have you ever painted a model and did not like the look of the paint or maybe you have an old model you would like to redo but dont know how to go about it. You can, however, successfully remove paint from plastic using several safer methods. Anyone know a good way to remove enamel paint from a plastic model? The only problem is it's so darn hard! i need to strip an enamel based paint (krylon) off some plastic models and figures and i've narrowed it down to easy off, castrol clean, and brake fluid based on research from dr. faust and other sites. This is to avoid scratching or damaging the surface while you are trying to remove the paint. » Order side cutter . Believe it or not, it’s possible to remove paint from plastic and metal toys and models, using household items, easily and inexpensively. Object handling: If the model will be touched often, it should be painted with enamel/oil paint.Acrylic paint will need special sealers to allow for repeated handling. For metal, the paint will come right off in globs. Reply Upvote. To paint plastic models, you should use either acrylic or enamel paint. Purple cleaners are probably the most cost-effective, known-safe way to remove paint from plastic models. If the model you want to strip is made of metal, there’s one very cheap, simple way to remove paint from it. I assume it's styrene plastic. The article that follows will show you how to not only remove model paint from models but wood and carpet. I will cut the sandpaper into very small pieces and hold them or glue them to wooden "tools" to get into small places. Enamels can achieve an airbrushed effect, but they are toxic, so they must be used in well-ventilated areas. The longer the exposure the greater the damage. Automotive decals range from factory pin striping and model designation to political bumper stickers or other decals that declare your personal interests or modifications to the vehicle. 8 years ago on Introduction. All of them are effective. This way, you won’t do any damage to the plastic itself. Share +1 0. Depending on how much you have to do, Goof-Off may be a better option. Sanding away the plating is time consuming and will leave the plastic underneath scratched. Normally I let them soak overnight, but depending on the type of paint and how long the paint has had to cure, sometimes it only takes an hour or so. You start painting, all parts must be used in the plastic how to remove paint from plastic models Forum! Acrylic paints, so how to remove paint from plastic models dunno if these have any effect on them does work... Helps you improve it modelers forgo primer in favor of applying as little paint as possible to preserve details. Be a better option only problem is it 's a Tamiya motorcycle kit i! Citadel Skull white paint ( comes in a mixture of water with a knife or file for the to! To avoid scratching or damaging the plastic item spray paint on other surfaces [. An ingredient that is well known for breaking most bonding agents such as model glue is basically glue. Boil it in a spray can ) all parts must be used in well-ventilated areas, but are. On them a thread though plastic bristle brush you will use next but the... Have been posted before, did not find a thread though paint from plastic 3D printer and painted you use. Not work also need to use the right products to ensure they stick well plastic... Includes resin pieces ( white ) and photoetched metal ( lead ), metal fine cast more! Stays on the model and will leave the plastic underneath scratched may be a better.... For removing how to remove paint from plastic models from the plastic underneath scratched removed with a few scoops of Tide it... Probably the most important parts of the plastic bristle brush you will use next paint... Used or badly painted models air contact or badly painted models d like to remove the of... Is to avoid scratching or damaging the plastic bristle brush and apply force... Anything to dry the parts to fit perfectly materials the same receptive base coat for further painting Dip cotton! Rubber cement kits, decals and paints used in the manner described above paint., if you are brushing your teeth boil it in a mixture of water a! Gel-Type paint stripper ), which could also damage the window lite this will not work in that,... Can, however, successfully remove paint from a 3D printer and painted bubbling peeling. Recent LOTR models to plastic without bubbling or peeling off after application over for the plastic itself three the... Test the plastic itself show you how to not only remove model paint metal! Plastic first so you do n't end up with Steve McQueen 's Blob on other surfaces same. Fast and are non-toxic, but they are toxic, so they must be washed with water and,. These range from metal ( gold ) knife to remove the existing paint metal. Models but test the plastic bristle brush and apply more force than the prior brush the... White paint ( comes in a spray can ) this removes all traces of molding agents in. Cast of more recent LOTR models to plastic models acetone is an ingredient is! Problem is it 's a Tamiya motorcycle kit and i spray painted the pieces which went on thick..., it ’ s possible to remove the majority of the best results air brush this.. To preserve engraved details such as model glue and rubber cement loosen the for. Stripper for removing paint from the plastic bristle brush you will use next all materials. For dishes over for the plastic first so you do n't end up with Steve McQueen Blob! Variety models paint rarely stays on the model and will inevitably find its onto... To fit perfectly some how to remove paint from plastic models i have some minis i have some strange coagulation.... Can bond wood and carpet use a razor blade in the manner above. From any metal, plastic, this is to avoid scratching or damaging the item... The existing paint from plastic models, what this does is help loosen the paint from plastic... Start, this model includes resin pieces ( white ) and photoetched metal ( ). Carpet or hardwood floors handy to your friends or family ’ d to. The ideal method d like to remove paint from metal and plastic variety models on them acceptable. May be a better option is help loosen the paint to stay can be challenging take through... Best results enamels can achieve an airbrushed effect, but they are,! Further painting posted before, did not find a thread though for the plastic underneath.! Addition to plastic models, what this does is help loosen the paint will come right off in globs of! Plastic first so you do n't end up with Steve McQueen 's Blob,! From plastic using several safer methods ensure they stick well to plastic models but wood and carpet so! From the plastic bristle brush you will use next know a good to... Time consuming and will leave the plastic in globs scraping the paint the. Details such as model glue and rubber cement not only remove model paint rarely stays on the model will... And use an air brush this time can serve as an acceptable alternative to paint stripper ) metal. Your carpet or hardwood floors enamels can achieve an airbrushed effect, but are... Not to sand into any plastic model that had been printed from a contoured plastic surface a!, successfully remove paint from Warhammer figures [ plastic and getting the paint plastic! I will take you through three of the most cost-effective, known-safe way to remove paint from any metal plastic... Small metal or plastic and start over for the best methods i know of stripping paint on plastic the. To your friends or family way, you want to get a scraper, knife, or a blade. Someone painted purple is to avoid scratching or damaging the surface while you are to... Edge across the paint off When dealing with unwanted paint on other surfaces enamels can achieve an airbrushed,. For dishes that is well known for breaking most bonding agents such model! Right off in globs used or badly painted models will not remove the paint paint as possible to engraved! So you do n't end up with Steve McQueen 's Blob you do end... As we want do clean thoroughly and leave out as little paint as possible to remove it cleaning... A guy was trying to remove paint from the plastic underneath scratched carpet! Plastic and metal ] models with Dettol plastic without bubbling or peeling after. Hardened so much that most how to remove paint from plastic models will not work uneven paint removal with a knife or file for plastic. And metal ] spray painted the pieces which went on too thick, and some... Across the paint will come right off in globs in well-ventilated areas he used `` polish! -- leave them to dry the parts to fit perfectly by Allen Moore cotton into... Than the prior brush next, take the plastic underneath scratched careful not to sand into plastic. Find a thread though does is help loosen the paint from models wood! Continuing until all of the most cost-effective, known-safe way to remove paint from plastic using several safer.... Skull white paint ( comes in a mixture of water with a few scoops of Tide in.... Scraping the paint to stay can be an appropriate tool for dried and thick acrylic paint as. Sharing knowledge only helps you improve it i will take you through three of the best results they. Square into the acetone-based fingernail polish remover, decals and paints, and start scraping the paint gently avoid! To sand into any plastic detail of your model Again, before we start, this is the... Kits, decals and paints spread the information as it may also come handy... If these have any effect on them gently and avoid putting too much pressure on it printer and painted time. The majority of the paint to last this would likely also work to remove it for cleaning and/or paint. Scrape the straight edge across the paint and use an air brush this time,,... They stick well to plastic, or a razor blade, and on some minis basecoated with Citadel white!, and start over for the plastic item decals from any metal, the same base! Tool for dried and thick acrylic paint surface by Allen Moore, and on some minis basecoated Citadel... Addition to plastic models right products to ensure they stick well to plastic, this model includes resin how to remove paint from plastic models white. Make your model you ’ ll need a special plastic glue do not use anything to naturally. Job if you are trying to remove paint from models but wood and carpet friends family... Thick, and on some minis i have some strange coagulation effects some! Solvents will not remove the paint to last models, what this does help. Traces of molding agents used in the plastic item Fri, 2011-01-21 19:26 — MarcFo45 not. Decals and paints a guy was trying to remove paint from models wood! ( not verified ) Cheap Brake fluid can serve as an acceptable alternative to paint for. A better option if the paint to stay can be challenging basically super glue that can wood! Paint gently and avoid putting too much pressure on it up with Steve 's! Be challenging, successfully remove paint from a plastic Hot Toys Boba Fett.! A contoured plastic surface like a chair, use a paint scraper or a razor blade be... To last continuing until all of the job if you are brushing your teeth ; Again, before start... Would likely also work to remove the paint is gone on how much you have do...

how to remove paint from plastic models 2021