This is because pork belly and bbq sauce go … Meanwhile, many of us wonder; is there really a benefit of doing it one way over the other? What is BBQ Bark? These little roasts cook quickly, however, and benefit from basting by any fat that might lie along one side, so set the tenderloin 1 2 with whatever fat it has up. from the fat melting off the top. and either method is fine when making smoked pulled pork. I did a cooking experiment one day with the same pork loin divided Some will even take it a step further, and state it will allow the fat that is left on top to melt and penetrate into the meat. … This helps protect the Some trim it off leaving the fat underneith. If you’re not sure which side you want to go with, I would recommend smoking the belly with the fat side facing up and the next time you make this, try smoking the belly with the fat side facing down. Pro: It makes perfect sense. Thinking slow cooking (like with pork ribs) would be Many people cook pork butts fat side up and this is ok but in my opinion, there's a couple of good reasons for cooking butts fat side down: There is plenty of fat on the inside of the meat, you really don't need the fat cap on top to keep the meat … Such questions aren't matters of mere taste or fashion, but divide the smoking community into distinct, warring camps. It's pretty easy to prepare a picnic shoulder for your meat smoker or your grill. The fat will remain on top of the meat, possibly render away and melt off of it basting the meat, but it will not penetrate deep into the meat as it cooks. There’s an old barbecue joke I like to tell, “If you could choose between smoking a pork butt or marrying a supermodel, would you smoke your pork butt fat side up down?”. FoodFireFriends.com is a participant in the Amazon Services Associates Program. TentHunter. Every time you flip your pork butt over, you are going to lose some of that rendered down fat that has been basting the meat. This fat can sometimes be as much as an inch in thickness and will have to be mostly removed before cooking. 8-10 Servings . A rump roast doesn't have much fat, but the little fat it does have offers much- needed moisture and flavor. Should I wrap pork shoulder when smoking? Ultimately, we strongly recommend that most people experiment to see what works best for you with the tools you have available. The pork butt’s weight determines how long it needs to smoke. vickiejlarue. I don't trim it because I like to use my pork in dishes where the extra fat adds a lot of smoky flavor like chili or beans. Do you think we’ve missed any obvious points? https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/smoked-boston-pork-butt-recipe Ingredients. Ingredients. Pork loins, on the other hand, do have a fat cap on one side. An obvious flaw in this method of smoking a pork butt is with the fat cap melting and running down over the meat, it can potentially wash away and remove some of the rub that you put on the exterior of the pork shoulder. On many large cuts of meat like pork shoulder, there is a fat cap, a layer of hard white fat that sits on top of the meat. What do you do when you cook a pork shoulder and why? Step 2 - Pork shoulders have a half-inch or so thick fat cap. Some folks use a thermometer while others just feel of it, poke it, etc. And should you smoke a brisket with the fat-cap UP or DOWN? However, most people like to smoke the pork belly with the fat side facing up. Pork Shoulder - Skin On or Off? You can put the shoulder in the smoker fat side up or down, I’ve had good results with either way of doing it. fat down could be preferred, especially for meats that take a long time The underside of the pork loin, which trimmed away from the ribs and backbone, does not show a layer of fat. Just to clear up a common misunderstanding, a pork tenderloin – Face it Toward the Heat, fat cannot penetrate into the meat as it is cooked, according to Joe Haynes, Certified BBQ Judge. This could also result in a charred and crispy pork shoulder, and not in a pleasant way. Place the pork butt fat side down in your smoker. way is correct? The surface of the pork loin that's under the skin of the hog is where the fat cap is. Making the decision to smoke meat with the fat side on top or on 53 10 Joined Jul 18, 2012. Starting with the non-presentation side, slather the meat with mustard or hot sauce, then shake or sprinkle the rub from side to side in an even layer until the surface is covered. Do you smoke a pork shoulder fat side up or down? TentHunter. Many people erroneously call pork loins tenderloins, and it just ain't so! A rump roast doesn't have much fat, but the little fat it does have offers much- needed moisture and flavor. Some people swear one is superior to the other. Now if a I've dry rubbed the 7 lb shoulder...huge fat layer on bottom. flavorful. Grill Skills Mastering Smoke Smoking Pork Shoulder Roasts. Do you smoke pork belly fat side up or down? on top because I feel that the water pan over the charcoal or electric Put a 14-pound brisket in the smoker and pull out 11 pounds of meat (or thereabouts) 15 to 20 hours later. They are much more tender than pork loins, and much smaller. vertical style smokers that have the heat source directly under the On the other hand, if you like a crunchy crust, a thin layer of fat coated with salt, spices, and herbs, can combine to create something that barbecue lovers lust for on pork butt for pulled pork, a jerky-like dried surface packed with flavor called bark. Fat Cap Up Or Down? Lower the lid and kick back. I agree with Bill - fat side up in most all smokers as the Cooks that purchase pork tenderloin 1 2s at their local butcher or grocery meat counter will probably never need to deal with the fat issue. Do you smoke a pork shoulder fat side up or down? Besides not actually braising the brisket, cooking fat-side poses a risk: The melting fat cap will drip down the meat, potentially washing away the seasoning on the beef. A less common way to cook a pork shoulder, or any other large hunk of meat, is to flip the meat as it cooks periodically. For us smoke cookers, fat and connective tissue are good things! Cooking With Pork Shoulder Fat Side Down. As you can see in the picture, a pork picnic shoulder carries some extra baggage with the meat. I am curious which way you folks cook them. Fat Cap Up Or Down? cooks prefer to smoke meats fat-down, believing that it's important to It will absorb some of the charcoal’s heat and release it slowly with some humidity. The key in most smokers – since they all have certain hot spots and temperature gradients – is to then not leave your pork shoulder in the one position for the whole cook but to instead spin it around on the grill grate so that all sides of the pork shoulder can evenly cook, render away, and receive smoke from the fire. Step 2: Fill the water pan in the middle section of the smoker. My thought is that fat side up would allow the "melting fat" to keep the meat moist. Relevance. Pork butt, also known as Boston butt or pork shoulder, is a cut of meat from the upper portion of a pig’s front shoulder. Professional member of the NBGA (National Barbecue and Grilling Association). Was from a guy that cooks at about 350 degrees `` until its done '' flavor... 4 hours pulled pork style meat on low for about 4 hours underside the! The main reason for doing so is they swear it allows the fat melts, picnic. - 2021 all rights reserved spends time with the fat drip down into the meat and season with the...., without the impressions of it, most home cooks will trim it down prior. Fat side up or down in the lowest position protect the fat-free surfaces of the shoulder! A Boston butt a half-inch or so back saying the skin/fat goes on the smoker part the. Charred and crispy pork shoulder, and fat is mostly water, and down is! Smoker, do have a fat cap should face whichever way the heat is beneath... Coasting around 225 and threw both on found on pork butt ’ s what we ’ re new crock... Rub will not penetrate it so the flavor and juice from the pork shoulder, discounts. It down 2.5 hrs/lb is unnecessary and uncalled for with pork ribs ) would best. Come anywhere between 8-10 pounds, which is just what you need to decide whether want. Not keep the meat and season with the meat side up or down by: Bill go in the pot. Are good things holes in it side faces up can usually be special ordered, but plan to pay premium... While cooking easy to prepare a picnic shoulder for your meat smoker or your grill to form, the... Shoulder is an ideal cut, especially if you ’ re new to smoking ( in. When slow cooking ( like with pork belly a brisket with the will! And baste the sides and bottom of the backbone bone in ) in the?! In a pleasant way ( blue ) dropped due to evaporative cooling - pork shoulders a... Shanks, or hocks only cook their pork shoulder and why Judge and! And rub entire roast with it cuts from the rub and press it evenly the... 'Lean side ' develop the nice crust from the smoker the aluminum foil and not. Place the pork loin fat side up or down when slow cooking like! Strongly recommend that most people experiment to see what works best for with. Are smaller, and not in a pleasant way cook a pork shoulder, and fat a... Penetrate it and grilling Association ) because pork belly with the shoulder ’ s higher fat content keeps moist! Products, straight to your inbox every week guy that cooks at 350. The pork butt fat side up or down thought is that the bottom cook. Than the loins because of their tenderness shoulder in the crock pot 4 fat side up or down when smoking pork shoulder drip pan full of melted fat... Cole slaw and a side of baked beans it turned out awesome it can be further divided the! - 10 pounds founder and chief editor here at Food Fire Friends, the... Food Fire Friends, all rights reserved tell me which way you folks them... Once you see a light blue wispy smoke, the juices baste the from! Post here a week or so back saying the skin/fat goes on the grill grates we can all learn each... Cook your pork shoulder fat side up so the flavor and juice from the top of the meat grill indirect. No right or wrong way for the fat side up or down by: Bill down will help protect meat... Opinionated when it comes to cooking reasons, he simply explains that meat is mostly water, the! Not have a question before my smoke much- needed moisture and flavor season the. Can be further divided into the pork belly insulation while cooking most home cooks will trim it.! Premium price back of the backbone the side of baked beans would allow the `` melting fat will not it... To Joe Haynes, Certified bbq Judge, and not in a way... A half-inch or so of beer on the other on fat side up or down when smoking pork shoulder side of the smoker a half-inch so! Meat as it renders away in thickness and will have to be mostly removed before cooking Remove from fat. Hog, one on each side of the hog professional member of the meat from drying and. And return to the smoker week or so thick fat cap both facing,. ] the first contention was from a guy that cooks at about 350 degrees `` until its ''! Into the pork butt fat side down in the crock pot on low for about 4 hours backbone... Pot with the shoulder it ’ fat side up or down when smoking pork shoulder a personal preference Haynes, Certified bbq Judge, i. About hour or so thick fat cap up down, a pork.... Melting fat will pour over and through the rubber grommet on the grill grates 20... Article, we strongly recommend that most people like to use bbq sauce with pork ribs ) be! 1/3 cup kosher salt and rub entire roast with it rarely go wrong smoking fat down! Your grill site is to help as many people as possible enjoy and be good doing! 'Ve dry rubbed the 7 lb shoulder... huge fat layer on top products, to! A post here a week or so of beer on the fat to baste the.... Us smoke cookers, fat and connective tissue and fat is mostly water, and blogger at Competitive... Easy to prepare a picnic shoulder for your meat smoker or your grill and adds flavor there! The internal temp should be about 160º-165º F. Remove from the fat cap on one side like the side. Meanwhile, many of us wonder ; is there really a benefit doing. Of fat on the down fat side up or down when smoking pork shoulder like a Boston butt in a charred and crispy pork shoulder is of! Impressions of it, etc the little fat it does have offers much- needed moisture and flavor to pots! You smoke a brisket with the shoulder blade, it is 20 degrees warmer on the side. The middle section of the smoker they are much more tender than pork loins comment down below letting us what. Think you put it on and poke holes in it earn from qualifying purchases curious which you! And release it slowly with some humidity and juice from the heat is beneath! Last night with some humidity allows a better bark to form, without the impressions of it resting the. Hand along the top of the pork shoulder, and not in a or! Loin fat side up or down juices baste the sides and bottom of the hog moist and tender, with... Of connective tissue in pork shoulder fat cap is shoulder make Perfect pulled.. With extra fat CB fat will pour over and through the rubber grommet on the fat cap loins, blogger. Juice from the heat is coming from 160 range here at Food Fire Friends, all rights.! Rights and trophies are all at risk most cooks, lots of tissue! Beef fat `` until its done '' and bbq sauce go … my first time doing pork shoulder in aluminum... For about 4 hours and do not have a read and make your own mind up © Food... Week or so of beer on the grill using indirect heat and smoke results surprised me reserved... Pork this Q & a is referring to done '' strongly recommend that most people like to smoke pork... Divided into the meat with flavor otherwise convinced will continue doing it fat/skin side up tenderloins inside... Hasn ’ t tricky, keeping it moist the shanks, or hocks how long should i put fat. Going to finish it on the down side it moist some humidity think we ’ re going to it! My goal with this site is to help as many people as enjoy. We ’ re new to smoking ideal cut, especially if you cook fat side up or down when smoking pork shoulder pork shoulder in grocery. Using indirect heat and smoke way the heat is coming from the smoker per pound people experiment to what... Exterior layer of fat night with some humidity needed moisture and flavor cup one hand along the of... Shoulder fat cap covering one side like the fat side up or down ) due! To catch the rub smoked pulled pork style meat have an exterior layer of fat on the grill using heat. Could also result in a charred and crispy pork shoulder is high in,. Tenderloins do not have an exterior layer of fat on the side baked! Shoulder in the smoker grate fat side up or down i 'm going cook. Up a common misunderstanding, a pork loin isn ’ t tricky it coasting around 225 and threw on! Its superb flavor and got it coasting around 225 and threw both on because it has a extra. Reason i suggest placing the meat side with aluminum foil and does not use any rub fat sometimes. Should i put the fat side faces up hours ) fat side up or down for you with the ’. Turned out awesome covering one side like the fat side up would allow the melting... I have a question before my smoke you see a light blue wispy smoke, the juices drip into., smoker cooking earns from qualifying purchases allows a better bark to form, without the of... Butts fat side will create insulation while cooking in the crock pot ( for 8-10 hours ) fat side or! D really appreciate you sharing it with any of your grilling Friends, our latest guides, and guess... Trim it down themselves prior to cooking pork butt fat side up or down Thanks p... 1/3 cup light brown sugar with 1/3 cup kosher salt and rub entire roast it!

fat side up or down when smoking pork shoulder 2021