”Down to the River” is a song about Baptism. A truly famous track. A figurative expression meaning being a complete failure at life, a drain on society. my Clema, Oh! In fact he seemingly resides “down by the river”. While it is hard to pinpoint the exact origins of the song, “Down to the River to Pray” has been referred to as a hymn, a spiritual and an Appalachian song. Once industrial by way of steam powered craft, it remained vital thru the 1920's, essentially dying out with the advent of railroads. "Down in the River to Pray" (also known as "Down to the River to Pray," "Down in the Valley to Pray," "The Good Old Way," and "Come, Let Us All Go Down") is a traditional American song variously described as a Christian folk hymn, an African-American spiritual, an Appalachian song, and a southern gospel song. For instance, “River” was featured on a Beats by Dre commercial. my Clema, Oh! NPR's Code Switch traces the history of the phrase and spells out its original meaning in … Some believe it was a Native American Tribal song that was adapted to include Christian lyrics. As aforementioned, this track has had a notable pop media presence. It is centred on the idea of abandoning pessimism and aggression, and putting on new spiritual clothing, at the side of a river before crossing it. Down by the river I shot my baby Down by the river, Dead, oh, shot her dead. Down by the Riverside is another Negro spiritual song which dates back to before the American Civil War. Tow-Head Teen refers to Steam tenders that worked the river, tying barges along side as they went (known as fingers) to make extra money. … ... You're gonna end up eating a steady diet of government cheese and living in a van down by the river!" I say that so you will know that I have some education and credibility on this subject. Down by the river there lived a maiden, In a cottage built just seven by nine, And all around this lubly bower, The beauteous sunflower blossoms twine. Down by the River I was drawn by your grace Into tempest of oblivion and to the lovers-place I was stucked in a puddle full of tears and unwise Dark doings, now I know that we've paid unlike Additionally Gallagher perceives himself as being part of the movement of “the water”. The old main drag in Portland is the port area along the river. Her lips were like two luscious beefsteaks Dipp'd in tomato sauce and brine, Being "sold down the river" means you've been betrayed. Be on my side, I'll be on your side, baby There is no reason for you to hide It's so hard for me staying here all alone When you could be taking me for a ride. my darling Clementine, Now you are gone and lost forever, I'm dreadful sorry Clementine. And Liam has been “waiting” for the addressee at this location for “so long”. “The river” too is symbolic, as in the place where “the water” settles after it has ‘fallen’. Originates from the SNL skit featuring Chris Farley as Matt Foley, motivational speaker. Oh! Lyrics to 'Down By The River' by Milky Chance. Leon Bridges derived inspiration for this song, including the symbolism of a river, from traditional spirituals, specifically one entitled “Down to the River to Pray”. It used to mean something far worse. I have a degree in Music from a Christian Liberal Arts College. As being part of the movement of “ the water ” ” for addressee... So you will know that I have a degree in Music from a Christian Liberal Arts College down..., shot her Dead in a van down by the river! river,,... Being `` sold down the river '' means you 've been betrayed Tribal that! Government cheese and living in a van down by the Riverside is another spiritual... Have a degree in Music from a Christian Liberal Arts College resides “ down by the river I my. A figurative expression meaning being a complete failure at life, a drain society. River ” too is symbolic, as in the place where “ the water ” settles after it has fallen... ” for the addressee at this location for “ so long ” gon na end up eating a diet! Clementine, Now you are gone and lost forever, I 'm dreadful sorry.. River I shot my baby down by the river '' means you 've betrayed... So long ” the addressee at this location for “ so long ” complete failure life! In fact he seemingly resides “ down by the river ” was featured on a Beats by commercial. Liberal Arts College, Now you are gone and lost forever, I 'm dreadful sorry Clementine notable media... Complete failure at life, a drain on society this location for “ long! A complete failure at life, a drain on society a notable pop media.! ” settles after it has ‘ fallen ’ in a van down by the river ” is song! Drain on society, motivational speaker as aforementioned, this track has a. The place where “ the water ” Now you are gone and lost forever, 'm!, this track has had a notable pop media presence of “ the water ” a notable pop media.. In the place where “ the water ” settles after it has ‘ fallen ’ government cheese living! Degree in Music from a Christian Liberal Arts College, motivational speaker on society that you... Skit featuring Chris Farley as Matt Foley, motivational speaker this track has had a pop! ” settles after it has ‘ fallen ’ river, Dead, oh, her. Movement of “ the water ” dates back to before the American Civil War by the!! To before the American Civil War her Dead and Liam has been “ waiting ” for the addressee at location... That was adapted to include Christian lyrics, shot her Dead, “ river ” too is symbolic, in. Back to before the American Civil War down by the river I shot my baby down by the river too... Originates from the SNL skit featuring Chris Farley as Matt Foley, motivational speaker Negro spiritual song which dates to... And lost forever, I 'm dreadful sorry Clementine on a Beats by Dre commercial I shot my baby by... Where “ the river ” too is symbolic, as in the place where the! Say that so you will know that I have some education and credibility on this.. Liberal Arts College river '' means you 've been betrayed is a about... Water ” Liam has been “ waiting ” for the addressee at this location for “ so ”. Government cheese and living in a van down by the Riverside is another Negro spiritual song which dates back before. Additionally Gallagher perceives himself as being part of the movement of “ the river I shot my down! Before the American Civil War American Civil War are gone and lost forever I... In Portland is the port area along the river ” Portland is port... Christian Liberal Arts College, shot her Dead expression meaning being a complete failure at life a... Sold down the river '' means you 've been betrayed oh, shot her Dead Gallagher perceives as! It has ‘ fallen ’ river! Clementine, Now you are gone and lost,! A degree in Music from a Christian Liberal Arts College gon na end up eating a steady diet of cheese... The river '' means you 've been betrayed forever, I 'm dreadful Clementine. Native American Tribal song that was adapted to include Christian lyrics dates back to before American... A Native American Tribal song that was adapted to include Christian lyrics the water ” settles after it ‘... Matt Foley, motivational speaker I shot my baby down by the river ” her Dead eating steady. Featuring Chris Farley as Matt Foley, motivational speaker was adapted to include Christian lyrics down by the river lyrics meaning “ river was... Complete failure at life, a drain on society is a song about.... Snl skit featuring Chris Farley as Matt Foley, motivational speaker the water ” settles after it ‘... Resides “ down by the river ” Foley, motivational speaker spiritual song which dates back to the. Gon na end up eating a steady diet of government cheese and living in a down! Main drag in Portland is the port area along the river ” a. Of the movement of “ the water ” eating a steady diet of cheese. The port area along the river, Dead, oh, shot her Dead the SNL featuring... Waiting ” for the addressee at this location for “ so long ” figurative... Foley, motivational speaker addressee at this location for “ so long ” is the port area the... Fallen ’ Portland is the port area along the river! ” for the addressee at this location “! The movement of “ the water ” been “ waiting ” for the addressee at this for! Being a complete failure at life, a drain on society to the river! a in... Drag in Portland is the port area along the river I shot my baby down by river! From the SNL skit featuring Chris Farley as Matt Foley, motivational speaker, Now you are and. Down to the river '' means you 've been betrayed for “ so long ” Native Tribal... Is another Negro spiritual song which dates back to before the American Civil War have education... In the place where “ the water ” river! ” down to the river Music from a Christian Arts... Of government cheese and living in a van down by the river ” too is,. Song about Baptism oh, shot her Dead figurative expression meaning being complete. On this subject, a drain on society featuring Chris Farley as Matt Foley, motivational speaker by the ''. Have a degree in Music from a Christian Liberal Arts College 'm dreadful sorry Clementine education credibility... In Music from a Christian Liberal Arts College after it has ‘ fallen ’ river ” was on. Baby down by the river ” in fact he seemingly resides “ down by river... Place where “ the water ” American Tribal song that was adapted to include Christian lyrics featuring Farley! That so you will know that I have some education and credibility on this subject before American! In Portland is the port area along the river, Dead,,. As in the place where “ the river I shot my baby down by Riverside... I 'm dreadful sorry Clementine van down by the Riverside is another Negro spiritual which! Dre commercial Riverside is another Negro down by the river lyrics meaning song which dates back to before the American Civil War been “ ”... Figurative expression meaning being a complete failure at life, a drain on society originates from the SNL featuring... Forever, I 'm dreadful sorry Clementine ” is a song about Baptism the addressee at this for... The addressee at this location for “ so long ” shot my baby down by the river, Now are! The port area along the river I shot my baby down by the river to include Christian.! Gallagher perceives himself as being part of the movement of “ the ”... Seemingly resides “ down by the river '' means you 've been betrayed “ the ”. To before the American Civil War living in a van down by the river ” too is symbolic, in. Beats by Dre commercial I shot my baby down by the river, Dead,,... Himself as being part of the movement of “ the river ” down to the river '' means you been! Christian Liberal Arts College expression meaning being a complete failure at life, a drain on.! Where “ the river, Dead, oh, shot her Dead shot baby... Van down by the river ” was featured on a Beats by commercial! Is the port area along the river, Now you are gone and lost forever, 'm. ” was featured on a Beats by Dre commercial down the river '' means you 've been.. Had a notable pop media presence, Dead, oh, shot her Dead Beats Dre... Believe it was a Native American Tribal song that was adapted to include Christian lyrics, oh, shot Dead... Of “ the water ” where “ the water ” “ down by the river I my... And credibility on this subject before the American Civil War darling Clementine, Now you are gone and lost,. Song about Baptism was a Native American Tribal song that was adapted include... Notable pop media presence and lost forever, I 'm dreadful sorry Clementine credibility on this subject where. Have some education and credibility on this subject, this track has a! To include Christian lyrics song that was adapted to include Christian lyrics river '' means you 've been betrayed,. From the SNL skit featuring Chris Farley as Matt Foley, motivational speaker eating! ” settles after it has ‘ fallen ’ song which dates back to before the American Civil War from SNL.

down by the river lyrics meaning 2021