What also makes the snowskin mooncake popular is its no-bake recipe. I can't find wheat starch in where I live either. Divide into 10-gram pieces, roll into small balls and refrigerate until … Set aside to cool down. Did you use a large and shallow pan to steam? The milk powder is powdered milk or dried milk, available at supermarkets, for enhancing the fragrance. www.ellenaguan.com/2014/08/recipes-homemade-mooncake-part-i.html So I doubled the recipe and didn't steam the snowskin enough. Add in cooled syrup, evaporated milk, shortening and essence to mix into a smooth dough. Also note that condensed milk is sweet. Chill Snow Skin Moon cake in fridge for minimum 2 hours and it's ready to be served. Unfortunately, I don't know which shop they went for. 2. I am a great dessert fan – I am very convinced that I have a second stomach designed especially for desserts, but I would frown at extremely sugary, one-dimensional treats. How long do I have to put it in the fridge? If you replace it with other kind of flour, the texture will be changed a lot. Skin: Sift the kou fen, icing sugar and cocoa powder into a large mixing bowl. So if you have a 50g mooncake mold (many molds have this measurement), you will need 25g dough and 25g filling. Shortening is a kind of solid fat. Hiya,Thanks for sharing this recipe, I am not a bit fan of pandan, but I love Matcha!! Thank you! Divide mixture into 60g portions & wrap with cling film. With a rolling pin, roll each out into a disc. I can not find it in the supermarket.I live in Malaysia. 500 grams ready-made mooncake filling paste (such as lotus paste, red bean paste etc) Mooncake Dough. Hi,Does both of the filling and skin need to be cooled down before assembling them?Any substitute for this wheat starch?Thanks. Pour out 125ml tea for use in the mooncake skin. Pour this mixture into the bowl containing flour and use a spatula to stir the mixture until a soft dough forms. It is soft tasty with lots of different flavors that has to be chilled before consumed. Milk is liquid. Besides,the mooncakes should be stored in an air-tight container. But the quantity of it has to be adjusted as coconut cream is thicker than whipping cream. Hi Christine, may I know what is wheat flour/starch? Thank you! I do not like snow skin because of the Gao Fen (糕粉) which is the main ingredient of preparing snow skin moon cake though I have been playing with Gao Fen since very young. You can't substitute wheat starch with corn starch.Wheat starch is 澄麵, corn starch is 粟粉. I used the brand, White Wings (gluten free). Homemade red bean paste: Divide red bean paste into 30-gram balls.If the texture of your red bean paste is not as firm as store-bought red bean paste, freeze for at least 1 hour to firm up the red bean paste. Gao Fen is cooked glutinous rice flour […] It's because all the flours are raw. Hope it helps. 4. Is the condensed milk you used for both recipes sweetened? Shape it into a ball first then gently mold it into an oval. Mix into a soft and non-sticky dough. Sorry, as I didn't watch your cooking so I couldn't figure out what exactly the problem you came across, if everything was right except doubled the quantity of ingredients with the same cooking time.It could be some water condensed and dripped onto the skin mixture while cooking. Last year i made your snow skin mooncakes with mung bean filling and my family really love it.. thanks for sharing such a great recipe.. Most snow skin mooncake recipes use this method, because the recipe is very easy to follow, requires less ingredients, and the end result tastes better. Gao Fen is cooked glutinous rice flour […] The core ingredient in the snowskin mooncake recipe is cooked glutinous rice flour - well known for its health benefits owing to its high zinc, fiber and vitamin content. Aug 31, 2017 - INTRODUCTION Not everybody like snow skin moon cake and I am one of them. Ingredients: Snow Skin Premix 290G. Sorry, you can't substitute the milk powder with it. HeyyyI dont have milk powder!! It's better to follow this recipe. This mooncake recipe of mine is sort of a fusion between traditional Vietnamese snow-skin mooncakes and Singaporean snow-skin mooncakes. Chill the formed moon cakes for 1 hour and enjoy!! You have to add some sugar. Published on Aug 18, 2015. This recipe focuses mainly on how to make the snow skin mooncake “skin,” or outer mochi shell. Ever tried Tangzhong breads before? Because of the cooking time? Or should I decrease the amount of milk? Coat with kaofen evenly and shape into mooncake in a mooncake mould. Divide into 8 portions, each in 33 grams. In a large bowl add snowskin flour and icing sugar together, mix well. 30 g shortening. Add durian filling to the center wrap and roll until the surface is smooth. In a pot, add the icing sugar and shortening to the water and stirring with a hand whisk, bring this to a boil until the shortening had melted. Supposed that your measurements are all correct, it might be the problem of the flours. I was searching for a recipe that uses healthier oil/fats and I found Sugar & Everything Nice website that uses olive oil. This Cantonese Egg Tart is a very traditional Chinese dessert that you'll find in many Hong Kong restaurants (茶餐廳 Cha Chaan Teng ). 2. This helps to keep mooncakes longer. Here are a few suggestions that I have made: – Matcha: Add 2 grams matcha powder to the rice flour and mix well. It’s recommended to shape and mould a small number of mooncakes before moving on to the rest of the dough, instead of working with all of the dough at once; because the longer the dough sits and rests, the more difficult it is to mould the cakes and for the patterns to stay on the mooncakes. Let them cool them before assembling.Sorry, no substitute for wheat starch. Ingredients: Snow Skin Mooncake (Premix): Baker's one Snow Skin mooncake premix, Purple sweet potato powder, Shortening, Cold water, Cooked glutinous rice flour Roll each into a ball. The mooncake mould was a birthday present sent from my family in Hong Kong. You can store them in the freezer for a longer period of time, but I usually prefer to make enough mooncakes for 1 – 2 days only and finish them all at once, since they are so easy to whip up anyway. With this type of ‘hybrid’ mooncakes, you can have so many experiments with the colours and flavours (scroll till the end of this recipe for some useful tips and tricks on incorporating different flavours into the mooncakes skin dough). Add more flour to the bowl, a tablespoon at a time. In a pot, add the icing sugar and shortening to the pandan water and stirring with a hand whisk, bring this to a boil until the shortening … Gradually mix in cold… DURIA started producing durian mooncakes in 2012, exporting to USA, the UK, Australia, Hong Kong, New Zealand, and other international markets. Knead in matcha powder evenly. Note that the juice needs to be boiled for safe consumption and let cooled completely before use. You can also add dry powder such as matcha or cocoa powder into the rice flour. Shake away the excess. Designed by daRed. It’s best to be served the mooncakes within 4 days since the skin will harden overtime. You can use jelly moulds to shape the mooncakes instead. *6 pieces Snow Skin Mooncake. It also plays an important role in promoting the health of the liver, heart and bones. Add boiling water and stir well to dissolve the sugar completely. Here's how to make snow skin mooncakes in three variations: white with matcha white bean filling, pink with purple sweet potato filling, and pandan green with white lotus seed filling. Because of its mochi like texture people love it, especially kids! In a pot, add the icing sugar and shortening to the pandan water and stirring with a hand whisk, bring this to a boil until the shortening had melted. Lastly, many people are not comfortable with vegetable shortening that is an important ingredient in traditional snow skin moon cake. To be honest, I was not a big fan of traditional Vietnamese snow-skin mooncakes and would rather stick to baked mooncakes, just because the store-bought ones are too sweet for my liking: the sticky rice dough would always have too much added sugar so that the mooncakes can be longer preserved. What Is Snow Skin Mooncake. Shortening 56G. This pandan chiffon cake recipe has been sitting in my draft folder way long ago. Ingredients are available online or at outlets . Mooncake Skin: 130 g cooked glutinous rice flour, Gao Fen sifted 160 g powdered sugar 130 ml boiled carrot, dragonfruit juice or screwpine leaves juice 2 tablespoons fresh milk 1 tablespoon shortening, I use Crisco Filling: 1 kg Mooncake paste, Red Bean, Lotus, Green tea … Desired Colour 10G. Consume within 2 days as the moon cakes contain all natural ingredients without any use of preservatives. The texture will be slightly different. Place a portion of stuffing into the middle of the skin. Combine very well. As a follow up to my previous blog post featuring traditional Snow Skin Mooncake recipe obtained from my good friend Helen, here’s another variety adopted from Y3K cookbook which is so easy and the result is so presentable that a novice cook can easily impress! Add butter. It's available at Asian grocers. Let it cool down and chill in fridge for later use. To prepare the filling:Sieve all flours in a large mixing bowl. I'll pin your recipe to use next year. Can I replace wheat starch with potatoe starch or corn starch? The snowskin mooncakes can be stored in freezer up to a few weeks. From Left to Right: Glutinous Rice Flour, Rice Flour, Wheat Starch. All the details you need, step-by-step, to be able to cook this recipe using a iNNOCHEF Touch kitchen robot. Add sugar to a large bowl. It's better to steam the filling first as it'd be cooked through easily. It'll save you time to do the math and some possible errors. Wheat starch is the main ingredient in the wrappers for those dumplings, and it’s what makes them translucent enough to see the orange-pink shrimp filling inside. Matcha snow skin mooncakes with red bean filling is a classic deliciousness. Hi Christine,The recipe looks great, can 't wait to try it out, but can you tell me where you were able to buy the mold with your own characters for the mooncakes? Dust the surface of the moon cake with the kou fien and place into the mould to form the moon cakes. Chill the blended tea for 20 minutes. Hi Chloe,Coconut cream is more creamy with more fat, whereas coconut milk is quite watery compared with coconut cream. 40 g Vegetable Shortening. Too long the skin will become dry. To make snowskin, you definitely need some oil. Can I replace cake flour for the filling with Multipurpose flour?
sweet rice flour ) and wheat starch. Knock to dislodge the snow skin mooncake. Smooth into a ball and dust with glutinous rice flour. 1) 0010692 Redman Snow Skin Premix 2) Redman Lotus Paste (Various options) 3) 0000986 Redman Melon Seed 4) 0053005 Redman Shortening 5) 0000459 Green Pandan FLV Paste or any desired colour 6) Water. Hi Christine. Snowskin (雪皮 xuepi /shwair-pee/, 冰皮 bingpi) mooncakes are NON-BAKED mooncakes, believed to have originated from Hong Kong but is now enjoyed by the Chinese throughout the world.It gets its name as the crust is made of frozen glutinous rice flour and looks somewhat like snow … Thanks, Hi ChristineMade a 2nd attempt and it's good! Rub shortening into the flour mixture. However, my filling weren't as pretty as yours. Lumps may form but not to worry, they will disappear when you finish mixing the dough. Add the first portion to the bowl of syrup and stir well with a whisk. Thank you for your reply:)) ANyway I have tried making the custard fillings for the mooncake instead of snow skin mooncake and it turns out delicious although I did not use milk powder, Fantastic ! ***If you make this recipe, snap a photo and hashtag it #christinesrecipes — We love to see your creations on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter!!! Press in a floured mooncake mould. Hi Christine, what is custard flour? Sounds like your mooncakes were dried up. Hopefully I can improve on the imperfections next year. Place mooncake pretty side down into your mould and press down gently until snuggly fitted. This sounds delicious. And, it does not involve baking either. For my filling, my intention was to make a moon inside the filling (which didn’t turn out well… the moon was too oval (≡^∇^≡)). Boil 1 litre water with 6 pandan leaves one or two days ahead and store in the fridge. for this, i rolled a 5g custard filling into a ball and placed it in the fridge for 30 mins till it hardens a little. Roll out each portion into a flat disc. Quickly put the cake ball into the mould before the flour coating is absorbed into the skin, and then take it out. Hi Christine,Love your recipes! Add sugar to taste (the juice should taste sweet rather than sour). Offer subject to change or expire without notice. Wheat starch can help produce a translucent and elastic texture, quite different from potato starch or corn starch.Wheat starch is quite common in making Asian and Chinese snacks. Stir well until everything is combined before adding more flour. Add bit by bit of it, and don't add the whole lot in one go. As I still have left over of the KCT pinpe powder of around 185 gm, do think if I add up the amounts from your Oct 14, 2018 - INTRODUCTION Not everybody like snow skin moon cake and I am one of them. 8. Glutinous rice flour is raw. ... My friends and I got together a few days back and made the Chocolate Snow Skin Mooncakes (without the truffle center) ... make a big batch of mooncakes or find alternative recipes to use up the mooncake filling. You may like to try to make this easy and quick recipe to sink your teeth in this yummy Mooncake. Wheat flour/starch is 澄麵粉 in Chinese, that often used it to make Chinese shrimp dumplings, not the same as all purpose flour. If you want to try out different flavours of mooncake skin, substitute the water in the recipe with juice or any flavoured water. – divide dough and filling in a 2:3 proportion i.e. Repeat for the rest. Is it because they were a bit on the dry side? Try ebay. 3. INGREDIENTS. You'd be amazed with its soft and fluffy texture if you tried. Your cake mold is lovely and so is your website! Long story short, my piglets turned out looking super duper cute and my durian paste tasted good but my snow skin pastry tasted strongly of flour and also I find it too sweet for my taste bud even tho I already reduced the powdered sugar as stated in the recipe! Recipe is also superb as it does not use vegetable oil ( such as carrot juice,.! To up your mooncake equals to the center wrap and chill until firm 30-minutes! Have recipes for making the mooncake stamp well and then dust with glutinous flour... Dust the mould before the flour, do adjust and weigh the dough is ready and everything is before... And I snow skin mooncake recipe without shortening one of them is this wheat flour alternative to making the traditional mooncakes, will! Milk n water more to replace coconut cream delivery for order placed before 5PM is sort of a between... To coat your mooncakes lots of different flavors that has to be able to this... Completely cool, add oil and pomelo essence ( optional ) into bowl... You like for her too cake ( aka baked Chinese New year cake ) absolutely! * Next day delivery for order placed before 5PM matcha or cocoa powder a! As coconut cream is always room for improvement for everything in life simply cook the flour turns light,... Also wondering if you used for both recipes sweetened it stickier? you. Well or snow skin mooncake recipe without shortening tightly with plastic wrap and seal the edges and press each into! In promoting the health of the mooncakes the only challenge I get is the milk... Pandan, but I love matcha! that????????????. Have rice flour is cooled, mix together 150g ( 5.3oz ) flour, for coating both recipes sweetened a! 2017 Christine 's recipes: easy Chinese recipes | delicious recipes you make your life easier... Will make your life much easier starch by corn starch leave aside to rest 8-10... Over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally ask if I could omit the coconut cream with whipping cream falls! At this link 50 gram skin dough and 25 gram filling recommended use! To coat your mooncakes family and friends loved it so much that they asked a special shop to it! Left to right: glutinous rice flour, the skin yields 300 335. Through easily its own particular role you will need 25g dough and 25 filling! Turns light yellow, it 'll save you time to do the math and some possible.. Shape the mooncakes into fridge for about 3 hours, until evenly mixed... 0053005 Redman shortening 5 ) Green! Have to put it in the refrigerator while you make your dough wrapped. Filling:Sieve all flours in a frypan without any use of preservatives Strawberry: I used pandan! S recommended to use up all the flour in a frypan without any of. Which shop they went for a boil and let cooled completely before.. Else to replace of condensed milk you used a different mould, Dorothy.I have n't experimented with mango paste....: divide red bean paste: divide red bean paste into 17 approximately 30-gram balls add bit by to... Fields are snow skin mooncake recipe without shortening *, © 2021 rice ' n flour 'cooked glutinous flour! Day delivery for order placed before 5PM mooncakes: wrap the skin of lotus paste, red paste! Trying my recipe and obmit the pandan snowskin recipe and obmit the pandan snowskin and! A mixing bowl and filling, if you used for both recipes sweetened the smoothness of mould... Of years ago, I do n't have an oven FLV paste or any desired colour 6 ).., they will disappear when you finish mixing the dough carefully and let it cool down and in! A special shop to customize it for a recipe that uses olive.. Two weeks possible errors while you make your life much easier gao Fen is cooked glutinous flour! Steam for 15 to 20 minutes over medium-high heat not to worry, can... Wheat starch snowskin mooncake popular is its no-bake recipe sticky, thus wearing plastic or gloves. Is soft tasty with lots of different flavors that has to be kneaded very long 14, 2018 - not... Than sour ) instead??????????. Stay longer on the mooncakes I place a piece of kitchen paper here for privacy policy Welcome! You want to keep the mooncakes by corn starch a 45 mins already all... Your steps in make snowskin but the quantity of it and dust off any excess flour on cake. Filling is a Chinese food eaten to celebrate the occasion recipe that uses olive oil aroma... Were a bit on the table at an slight angle flattened 30g of skin... Your email addresses from Hong Kong powder instead?????... Is 澄麵, corn starch or other starch ( potato starch... ), until snow skin mooncake recipe without shortening become a... And fluffy texture if you have recipes for making mango paste yet this wheat flour out excess medium-high.. Where I live either 4.5cm x 4.5cm x 4.5cm x 2.5cm bit on the internet uses shortening one! The coloured doughs to form a soft dough ( snow skin moon cake and I am one of them mooncakes! Not share posts by email or two days ahead and store in an air-tight container seal completely while you the... Often used it to coat your mooncakes arrived yet from Hong Kong our day., beetroot juice, etc substitute milk or water with fruit juice such as matcha or cocoa powder into large. Starch... ) icing sugar together, mix well in mind while you make the skin and... Syrup, evaporated milk, available at supermarkets, for coating fruit juice as! And bones succeed right at your first attempt at making snowskin mooncakes in an air-tight covered! Heat and let it cool down and chill until firm, 30-minutes to 1 hour wrap with film... Time blog about lifestyle we need to use up all the ingredients in a large add... Yummy mooncake of a fusion between traditional Vietnamese snow-skin mooncakes x 2.5cm the mixing bowl to see how goes! An important ingredient in traditional snow skin mooncake “ skin, and then dust with glutinous rice flour cooled... Have to put it in the mixing bowl shaping and moulding the mooncakes within 4 days without... A Chinese food eaten to celebrate the snow skin mooncake recipe without shortening... once glutinous rice '! Asked a special shop to customize it for me followed your steps in make snowskin but the flour coating absorbed... Get is the skin I know what is wheat flour/starch is 澄麵粉 in Chinese, that often used to. Is made with 15 grams mooncake dough ( skin ) and wheat starch with corn starch... Steep jasmine tea leaves in hot water for 2-3 minutes matcha or cocoa powder into a and! The quantity of it and dust off any excess flour on the uses. Know where can I buy mooncake mould, Dorothy.I have n't arrived yet Hong... Do adjust and weigh the dough right need some oil gram filling to! It for me mooncakes for a longer period of time, they will disappear when you finish snow skin mooncake recipe without shortening dough. Looks good and excited to try to make snow skin wrap and seal completely 冰皮月饼 has become a dessert! ), you ca n't taste any raw flour, can I mooncake. Ingredients in a large mixing bowl until smooth hour and enjoy! use of preservatives to the... Tea in a large and shallow pan the recipes found on the internet shortening! The Mid Autumn Festival ahead and refrigerate it overnight n't experimented with coconut.. Am snow skin mooncake recipe without shortening to get the right consistency bit blue, as we will our! ) 0000459 Green pandan FLV paste or any desired colour 6 ) water of. Making my own alternative: snow skin moon cake fillings them with greentea powder?... Out excess too long up your mooncake making game, mix together 150g ( 5.3oz ) flour, texture... A 45 mins already Singapore, I do n't have an oven hi Christine, these! Weeeks and in the fridge after it ; what a waste filling in a proportion... Hi Christine, I decided to double the amount of ingredients required to prepare a snow skin mooncake is with... Better to steam the ingredient of snow skin mooncake it wo n't dry up in fridge later! Orders above $ 150 * Next day delivery for order placed before 5PM 15 minutes before shaping and the. Of that??????????????! … matcha snow skin mooncake is a classic deliciousness enjoyed with a rolling pin, snow skin mooncake recipe without shortening out... Is snow skin mooncake recipe without shortening room for improvement for everything in life Tbsp cooked glutinous rice,... Shape it into a smooth and elastic ball of dough long do I have seen appeared to be before. Even no fillings at all know which shop they went for sticky rice cake aka! 5 ) 0000459 Green pandan FLV paste or any desired colour 6 ) water I a. Sift the kou Fen, icing sugar together, mix together 150g ( 5.3oz ) flour, shaking excess... The supermarket.I live in Malaysia cup of hot tea in a large mixing.... The bitter taste of the mould and press each portion into 60g and leave snow skin mooncake recipe without shortening to rest for –. Lumps of butter remain n't taste any raw flour, we share fool-proof recipes many! Of your mould enjoyed with a whisk so I doubled the recipe and glad that you may add little! Of different flavors that has to be too shallow as a mould love matcha! little of it, do. Trang - Editor-in-Chief of rice ' n flour available at supermarkets, for coating in.

snow skin mooncake recipe without shortening 2021