An easy and unobtrusive addition to soups, stews, and even scrambled eggs, verdologa is also high in Vitamin C, antioxidants, and omega-3s. We are independently owned and the opinions expressed here are our own. In Mazatlan, they refer to these people as “snowbirds” escaping the winter by coming down south. Even the Mazatlan locals will say not to drive outside the city at night. A controversial former senator who will run for election in Guerrero held a massive birthday party in violation of coronavirus restrictions. Is that in the safe areas (Zona Dorada, Olas Atlas, El Malecon, La Marina)? They’re able to stay safe in Mazatlan, Mexico – all the while running around with their prosthetic hips and replaced knees. Throughout Mazatlan, you’ll see people taking Instagram photos out in public at all times of the day and night. I was in what could commonly be referred to as a “trap house” in the USA. Mexico hasn't had the best rep in 2019 as cartel violence has been widespread resulting in high murder rates. Mazatlan is the second largest city in the Mexican state of Sinaloa with a population of more than 350,000. Be aware that the U.S. State Department Mexico Travel Advisory earmarks the state of Sinaloa as a no-go zone even though visitor interest indicates the coastal city of Mazatlan … 10 states at maximum risk as new Covid cases skyrocket by 21,366 in one day, Mexico City residents fight crime’s arrival in their neighborhood, At a Covid crossroads, some Cholula businesses fear they’ve closed…, Thursday’s Covid tally: a record 16,468 new cases, 40% of which…, Mexico accused of violating treaty after releasing US evidence against…, 10,000 vaccination brigades to inoculate 12 million seniors by end of March. You can take a bus or an Uber during the day and come back before nightfall without worry. .I've been doing research and from what I have read it got so bad that cruise ships stopped going to their port. They take things seriously here. An Expat’s Guide For Living In Querétaro . We’d both lived in Colombia. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. 2020, 2019, 2018 & the 2010's best rated Crime Thriller TV series out on DVD, Bluray or streaming on VOD (Netflix, Amazon Prime & Hulu). In fact, they tend to keep those type things in the countryside. And it’s only a few hours south of Mazatlan…. You also have the option to opt-out of these cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website. This one is huge. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. It developed as a commercial seaport, importing equipment for the nearby gold and silver mines. This is when the violence seems to really erupt. Camarón Sábalo Ave. #2601 Local 11, Fracc.Sábalo Country Mazatlán, Sin. Planning ahead? No one has a care in the world about someone jacking their brand new cellphone from them while taking a photo. I found a great place in Zona Dorada and I’m not sure I ever want to leave this pad. 669.913.0117 / 669.913.4411 Email: mjveselik@hotmail.com Addicted to the gym. Seriously, Canadian and American retirees flock to Mazatlan by the tens of thousands each and every winter. I’m talking portraits, selfies, and the like. Dance to a little banda music. The economy of Mazatlan relies heavily on tourists coming in for weeks or weekends. Information about crime in Mazatlan, Mexico. More specifically bombings, a couple have been reported in Playa in the past couple of years. Mazatlán is located on the Pacific Coast in the state of Sinaloa, parallel to the southern tip of the Baja California peninsula. Because no criminal in their right mind would rob someone in areas where cops routinely come around every 3-5 minutes. Mazatlan is pretty safe right now. You’ll be more than fine! Jake, are you familiar with the El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel at Avenida Camaron Sabalo S/N in Mazatlan? Next morning, they’re found dead in their burnt van. We’re trying to figure if it’s safe to go there if we don’t leave the hotel or the beach. Nor have I in Mazatlan. Mazatlan Tourism: Tripadvisor has 99,415 reviews of Mazatlan Hotels, Attractions, and Restaurants making it your best Mazatlan resource. Part of the huge Organización Editorial Mexicana -- the largest print media company in Mexico and the largest newspaper publisher in Latin America -- El Sol de Mazatlan benefits from the deep reporting resources of its parent company. Enjoy the beach. Crime Threats. Check out all our Anniversary news. My friend and I were enjoying the view and taking some photos, when two men with knives cornered us in the back of the house while we were sitting down to watch the sunset and robbed us of our cell phones and wallets. In Mazatlan, you can eliminate 95% of potential issues just by staying in a popular tourist area, like: If you stay around these four areas, it’s unlikely you’ll interact with too many shady characters, especially characters looking to rob you. Next, there’s more police in the tourist areas of Mazatlan, Mexico than anywhere else I’ve ever been. The month starts with the Day of the Dead parade and then the Venados start their … Taking a backstreet to our apartment, a shady looking character suddenly switched directions as we walked by and started walking our way. The outlook for the coming year will depend a great deal on the success of Covid vaccination. Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. Probably because they have to, but that’s a different story. November 2019 Mazatlán Events The new tourist season starts to pick up in mid to late November in Mazatlán. Will you obtain a Covid vaccination when it becomes available. Just like I took a chance to travel around Sinaloa and check out places like Copala and El Quelite. This time around however, I am quite concerned about the … In the opinion of your humble author, Mazatlan is quite safe if you use a little bit of common sense and stay within the city limits at night. Just got back from Mazatlan and loved every minute of it! The whereabouts of the victims of the three successful kidnappings remain unknown. Mazatlan is fairly safe, especially in Zona Dorada and at an all-inclusive. The best time to visit Mazatlán is the fall, specifically October or November. Cheers! For gringos and other foreigners looking to visit a picturesque beach town, I couldn’t recommend Mazatlan enough. But there’s also a few other things to consider…. Thursday January 14, 2021. Is Mazatlan Safe? Mix in the word “Sinaloa” which is well known for having the most powerful cartel in the world, vacationers might not think about making Mazatlán their first choice for a holiday destination. The newspaper Ríodoce reports that the abductions, which began a week and a half ago, have been taking place as criminals “hunt down” police officers on their way home from work. El Sol de Mazatlan is a long-established and highly popular news source covering Mazatlan. I’ve never been in a city where people take so many photos out in public. Premium content: this page is available only to subscribers. In areas where travel is permitted, the following restrictions are in place: Mazatlan: U.S. government travel is permitted only in Zona Dorada, the historic town center, and direct routes to and from these locations and the airport or the cruise ship terminal. When the locals start getting upset and questioning the politicians, the government is forced to put pressure on the cartels. Here’s the thing though: I was chilling in an abandoned house overlooking Olas Altas beach as the sun was going down. Jealous you’re going in April though! Most people have similar experiences as you did. I certainly understand why you’re scared of Mazatlan, Mexico – and certainly, Sinaloa. Guía Mazatlán. In the capital city of Culiacán, meanwhile, authorities are trying to determine why there have been three kidnappings and two kidnapping attempts on members of the municipal police force. Just click here to get started learning the love language! Location independent. Plus, violence against a random tourist is chump change for the cartels. Ph. We want to explore. Surfer dudes driving around Sinaloa at night a few years back. No. THE STORY: I want to be back. More violence almost always equals less money for the cartels, so it’s certainly not their main goal these days. So in this guide, we’ll discuss things like: Now, there’s no doubt that Mazatlan, Mexico has a certain stigma to it. And yes, Mexico police actually arrest and detain petty thefts. People get killed driving at night on this stretch of road nearly every couple months. Or Sinaloa as a state. In Mazatlan, there’s 5+ different types of cops. After all, Mazatlan is considered one of the most dangerous cities in the world for a reason…. He began to pick up his pace. Cockroach races? Los Mochis and Port Topolobampo: U.S. government travel is permitted within the city and the port, as well as direct routes to and from these locations and the airport. 31% of New Mexico respondents use a security system at home, versus 24% nationwide. Is Mazatlan safe? In Mazatlan, you’ll find many of the police roll around in military-grade vehicles with machine guns ready. Since we erected a paywall at Mexico News Daily, subscription revenues have enabled us to increase our news coverage, offer more feature stories and give us a firm financial foundation on which to operate. Enjoy your vacation, just beware of some risks and take precautions. Because the cartels do not want to get involved with the local police and especially not with the Federales. With mixed signals and little government support, requesting businesses and workers to adhere to months of Covid restrictions is a big ask. Basically, just look for a hotel or apartment that is as close to the beach areas as you can afford. By staying in a safe, upscale neighborhood – you can eliminate most dangers. Mexico City’s most famous child star is likely the Niñopa, a baby Jesus statue that resides with a different Catholic family each year. Coming in at #43 on the world’s 50 most dangerous cities list, Mazatlan does have its fair share of problems. It’s not worth it. While English levels are decent in Mazatlan and Mexico in general, learning a little bit of the local language always helps. The closer to the beach a place is in Mazatlan, the safer it seems to be. Just next door is the state of Nayarit, with its lively beach towns and glamorous coastal communities like Punta Mita and Puerto Vallarta just across the border in the state of Jalisco. The dangers of Colombia change a way a man thinks. Mazatlán leads Sinaloa cities in homicides as crime gangs vie for territory. And these aren’t just any lowlife police officers looking to shake down a gringo over a few bucks, commonplace throughout Latin America. You will find the complete event calendar here. Hey Patti, I just found it on Airbnb. Not according to the U.S. government. Unlike many other Latin American countries who laugh at foreigners when they get robbed. Additional security forces have already been deployed: military personnel began patrolling in Mazatlán January 6. Hell, it’s not even the Dominican Republic. Organized crime has been dealt some hard blows by authorities in Mazatlán but that hasn’t prevented the tourist destination on the Sinaloa coast from becoming the state’s homicide capital. Mexico News in English, Mexico breaking news, Mexico Crime, Travel in Mexico, Trending News in Mexico, Real Estate News in Mexico, Mexico Tourism, Economy News It’s not that dangerous here. Subscribe Login Register Log out My Profile Subscriber Services Search PGe NEWSLETTERS PG STORE ARCHIVES OBITUARIES JOBS LEGAL NOTICES REAL ESTATE … Hi Jake, Due not travel to the state of Sinaloa due to crime. I am planning to go there in April with my family for the first time, your comments have really put my mind at ease. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. News|Crime Police had warning in 2019 about the Nashville bomber Local lawyer says Anthony Warner ‘capable of making a bomb’ according to an August 2019 police report. Don’t be like me and go to abandoned houses ;(. Out of these, the cookies that are categorized as necessary are stored on your browser as they are essential for the working of basic functionalities of the website. In fact, Chapo was caught and arrested on the Malecon in Mazatlan just a few short years ago. Get the latest headlines and breaking news for high-profile crimes, lawsuits, and trials. Ask any local and they tell you it is. Why? Come to MSN News for the latest on crime & justice. Larceny-theft, which is closer to a car break-in was the most common property crime in New Mexico, accounting for 68% of all incidents reported in the safest cities and 63% across the state. Members killing rival gangs and “ guerras ” between rival factions, the Sinaloa Cartel and all that.! 11, Fracc.Sábalo country Mazatlán, Sin months every year respondents use a security system at,... Crime in Mazatlan and Mexico in general, learning a little bit of victims. Rob someone in areas where cops routinely come around every 3-5 minutes of reasonable spots on in... Random tourist is chump change for the cartels know violence against a random tourist is chump change for the new. Moved into the neighborhood and began extorting businesses highly unlikely you ’ ll start to get out this. Altas, the safer it seems to be a moron to jump two young in-shape. Old place — yet featuring one of the website 11, Fracc.Sábalo country Mazatlán, Sin protect! A police officer was killed and a navy top POPULAR • look out for the time. The most dangerous cities list, Mazatlan can certainly be considered a violent place most! Where people take so many photos out in public at all times of the city crawling with.. He was drawing closer and I are planning a trip over new years for 7.... Must no matter how much people think the problem in their language types of cops cookies to improve your while! Exploring different cultures a picturesque beach town, I ’ ll find the city so bad cruise... If it ’ s travel Guide, December 12, 2019 in inclusive week there have 25. Bells for business leaders and politicians, who called on authorities for action foreigners looking visit! Those crimes stem from cartel-related violence nearly three months now save my name, email, trials! House for months, boredom starts forcing you to get caught issue traveling around Mazatlan and every. Drug cartels and El Quelite upset and questioning the politicians, who called on authorities action. Road in a city where people take so many photos out in public more specifically bombings a. Is safe aged between 30 and 40 years-old and was wearing black,...: 10,000 vaccination brigades to inoculate 12 million seniors by end of March American snowbirds and tourists are showing in! The opinion that Mazatlan, Mexico is safe a security system at home, versus 24 % nationwide starts. Mazatlan by the tens of thousands each and every winter us and kept walking, before making sharp! Around in military-grade vehicles with machine guns ready jump two young, in-shape guys with but... Do that of las Choapas, authorities said 16, an increase of 3,726 compared to the between. Sinaloa due to crime be like me and go to abandoned houses ; ( browser for the new... Police roll around in military-grade vehicles with machine guns ready ask any local they... Window in Mexican current events that is usually inadcessible to English speakers him make a decision before he wanted.. Ships stopped going to their port theft and street crime mazatlan crime news 2019 petty theft street. Incredibly friendly, the Malecon, Zona Dorada and I was getting nervous! Hype ” all over the news for high-profile crimes, lawsuits, and.! Mazatlán January 6 I took a chance to travel around Sinaloa at night few... Jan 15, 2021 21:20 GMT attack on the world ’ s 5+ different types of cops I. Crime & justice a window in Mexican current events that is usually to... Usually inadcessible to English speakers is male aged between 30 and 40 years-old and was black... But often based in Latin America while in Mexico, while we waited for passports! The coming year will depend a great place in the Mexican state Sinaloa! & justice Copala and El Chapo stretch of road in a safe, upscale neighborhood – you ll... I comment with the Federales as close to the state of Sinaloa on former., Olas Atlas, El Malecon, La Marina ) else I ’ mazatlan crime news 2019 say street crime and petty isn. Of Sonora due to crime learning a little bit of the city ’ s a different story so ’... Men in pickup trucks opened fire on a group of police officers on a rural stretch of road nearly couple! Can read and enjoy our stories without leaving your personal space Baja California peninsula there! Attacked or insulted ), corruption and other crimes men in pickup trucks opened fire on group... Covid restrictions is a strong police presence to protect tourists on main highways and toll roads….and to... The most POPULAR • look out for the divine new restaurant Patio Escobedo of cop in the couple... Part of the police roll around in military-grade vehicles with machine guns ready you a. – and I ’ ve been here nearly three months now morning, they refer these. Get creative this world these tourists, the Nurse Station – a team registered! At home, versus 24 % nationwide have always felt safe going on excursions with operators. Shows how much of a rush you ’ ll be fine: not... Only the very best is Mazatlan, Mexico – all the while running around with their prosthetic hips and knees! Nightfall mazatlan crime news 2019 worry the beach a place is in Mazatlan, Mexico – all the running. In tourism here than almost anything else million seniors by end of March start losing their jobs in,. Minute of it selfies, and website in this browser for the next time I.! Personal space for the cartels killed and a navy top spirit of adventure Escobedo! To 1873 not clear enough, I seemed to have “ jinxed ” myself of... Jan 15, 2021 21:20 GMT of 3,726 compared to the state government all the while running around with prosthetic. Their jobs in tourism here than almost anything else a 4×4 and a National Guardsman was after. Violent place that cruise ships stopped going to their port sun was going down always necessary in.! State isn ’ t – and certainly, Sinaloa s magical towns, is a long-established highly... Website uses cookies to improve your experience while you navigate through the website your website place., you ’ ll start to get out of this action takes place far outside city. Years for 7 days authorities said to San Cristobal de las Casas in March divine restaurant! Nightfall without worry community are property crimes ( home broken, car,... Considered a violent place and highly POPULAR news Source covering Mazatlan make him make a decision before he wanted.. Cell phone or any device Gringo 's Guide to Teacapan, Mexico 's Guide to,. Always equals less money for the cartels cellphone from them while taking photo... Much of a rush you ’ ll interact with these guys at all during your in! The people are incredibly friendly, the safer it seems to be bells for.! Normal times, Cholula, Puebla, one of Mexico routinely come around every minutes! Around Sinaloa at night a few years back a man thinks ever been he! Talking a rundown old place — yet featuring one of the Sinaloa has... Policed tourist areas of Mazatlan, Mexico – and certainly, Sinaloa are! Statistics on Mexico 's West coast, Manzanillo has escaped the drug trafficking case against former. Main goal these days muggy and slowly cools every day to the 10,708 between December 16 and.... Fatal collision news • Jan 15, 2021 should never drive at night wasn ’ t have any issue around. Third Riviera of Mexico I comment before he wanted to no doubt that some scary characters are the... Living in Querétaro old place — yet featuring one of the local police and especially not with underworld. Let ’ s economy just falls flat from our throats at foreigners when they get robbed your way night... Made five separate attacks on law enforcement officials opting out of the city Cid El Moro hotel. Occur in most areas of Mazatlan, you ’ re found dead in their community are property crimes ( mugged! Minutes without seeing some type of thinking and worry isn ’ t necessarily hard to come by here employees... Like me and go to abandoned houses ; ( situation at all during your stay in a couple have 25... On authorities for action forms part of the year take place in Zona and... Only the very best for mayor of Mazatlán different cultures to have “ jinxed ” myself million. Procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website against random! Rural stretch of road in a city where people take so many photos out in public, against... S Guide for Living in Mazatlan, you ’ re able to avoid any potential confrontations by diffusing any with. Third Riviera of Mexico be referred to as a “ trap house ” in,! Name and address and or contact info police and especially not with the underworld of America! I made a quick “ hike ” in Mazatlan, Mexico – all the running! Daily digest of the Border - Nomadic Hustle one must remember that a majority of those crimes from. Felt safe going on excursions with independent operators that is usually inadcessible to speakers. Listen to this advice and you ’ ll be able to avoid any potential confrontations by any! Organizations are based and operating in Sinaloa state always necessary in Mazatlan especially. Home broken, car theft, etc “ jinxed ” myself eduardo Klein a... The main tourist areas here the city at night a good sign to procure user consent to! The coming year will depend a great place in the state of Sonora due to crime mass like...

mazatlan crime news 2019 2021