Loch Coruisk (in Scottish Gaelic, Coire Uisg, the "Cauldron of Waters") is an inland fresh-water loch, lying at the foot of the Black Cuillin in the Isle of Skye, in the Scottish Highlands. It was wonderful, a great coastal scramble up and over rocks and the not so 'Bad Step' at the end, before reaching a lovely beach. Continue up the path. Matt wrote a review Aug 2020. The Path Less Traveled – A Walk Around Loch Coruisk Our group (minus eldest daughter who is taking the picture) ready to explore Loch Coruisk. 3 van 7 dingen om te doen in Isle of Skye. Wateren, Natuur- & wildlifegebieden. From the carpark cross the road to a gateway, there will be a Green Sign confirming the route. Loch Coruisk is magical, and the sight of the Cuillin is truly breathtaking. There’s a well trodden coastal walking route from Elgol to Loch Coruisk along the cliff top taking in Glen Scaladal, the beautiful bay at Camasunary, round the slopes of Sgurr na Stri and taking in the notorious Bad Step before reaching the head of the sea loch at Scavaig. Private Full Day … Loch Coruisk is simply stunning, snow called alpine mountains in the distance with the turquoise waters of the loch surrounded by beautiful mountains. Boek een tour voor de volledige ervaring. Definate trip to take, especially in good weather. It is also possible to walk from Elgol, but one section of the path ("the Bad Step") presents some potential difficulties for the nervous or inexperienced. Loch Coruisk Loch Coruisk is an inland fresh-water loch, lying at the foot of the Black Cuillin in the Isle of Skye, in the Scottish Highlands.Loch Coruisk is reputed to be the home of a kelpie or water horse, a shape-shifting creature that can assume human form. A handy and helpful guide for all. A Trip to the magnificent Loch Coruisk, that is home to some of Scotland’s best scenery and wildlife, including many common seals and other sea life, and is a great location to view the best the Cuillin Mountain range has to offer. A description of the path from Elgol (including a traverse of The Bad Step) is included in the narrative, as is the Memorial Hut. Coruisk to Camasunary via the Bad Step is described in the Scottish Mountaineering Club's "Skye Scrambles" as a grade 1/2 Scramble. It is also possible to walk from Elgol, but one section of the path ("the Bad Step") presents some potential difficulties for the nervous or inexperienced. Some walkers will take a one way trip to Loch Coruisk by boat and tackle the mighty coastal paths back through to Elgol, this walk can be difficult and involves some negotiating around the Bad Step a large chunk of rock that will require some nerve to get by, appropriate walking boots and knowledge would be advised for this walk. The track made it as far as Camasunary but proposals to press on round the coast, destroying the Bad Step in the process, were abandoned following an outcry from mountaineers. [4][5], Robert Macfarlane visited the loch and its valley whilst writing his 2007 travelogue The Wild Places, and a description of the area forms the book's third chapter. ... beautiful stunning and so pleased we went here. Other Islands to discover from Elgol are Canna, Rum and Soay, with boat trips giving you the chance to see the fantastic islands and the wildlife that surrounds them, Occasionally you could have the chance to see Orca/Killer whale, Puffins and Dolphins. The Loch Coruisk Memorial Hut is situated in an ideal location. I’m sure I’m not alone in considering this walk from Elgol to Loch Coruisk as the most scenically spectacular coastal walking … This is one of the wildest and most remote spots in Scotland. Pass through the gate and on up the track. It was wonderful, a great coastal scramble up and over rocks and the not so 'Bad Step' at the end, before reaching a lovely beach. Kort overzicht. Hiking - There is a famous hike between Elgol and Sligachan. In addition shortly after leaving Loch Coruisk you have to contend with the "bad step" and an awkward section of path with some exposure. I walked to Loch Coruisk from the Sligachan Hotel once on what was probably one of the wettest days of the 1970s, but I was so wet and cold by the time I got there I just turned around and walked back without doing a circuit of the loch. The Cuillin Ridge on the Isle of Skye can been accessed by many routes but the best has to be the journey to Loch Coruisk by boat. This was Loch Coruisk on the Isle of Skye, a deep, deep lake encircled by the Black Cuillin mountains and one of Britain's true wild places. Really. Would it be like the Bad Step on Am Bastier, which is a step only if you have 20 foot-long legs? ... (White Point and Yellow Point) to the notorious Bad Step at Loch nan Leachd. The "bad step" is by the small islet in Loch Scavaig, centre right. Loch Coruisk is reputed to be the home of a kelpie or water horse, a shape-shifting creature that can assume human form.[1]. A Guide to the Scottish Highlands Islands and Mainland. A long-held wish to visit this special place, fulfilled at a time of not best health. All four visits to Skye over a number of years, we were blessed with good weather with all the peaks of the Red and Black Cuillins in clear sight. The path is gravel with regular puddles. The so-called path to the Loch-side ended almost immediately on turning the corner to open up the full view of the Loch and the Black Cuillins blocking the skyline at it’s head. Recommended by 5 other hikers, view 11 photos and 2 tips—and get there with komoot! The highest peak in the Cuillin is Sgurr Alasdair at 3,255 ft, it is also the Highest on the Isle of Skye. I haven't done it yet, mainly because I didn't want to carry it up on my own. Loch Coruisk is separated from the sea by the River Scavaig known as one of the shortest rivers in the UK and is just a short walk from the jetty at Loch na Cuilce, a path for walkers is from here that will lead you around the Loch and into the Mountains if you are adventurous. I walked from Camasunary along the bottom of Sgurr na Stri to Loch Coruisk. Name: Loch Coruisk, Highland Place type: Inland Water Location: Grid Ref: NG 4842 2057 • X/Y co-ords: 148422, 820570 • Lat/Long: 57.20660019,-6.16750089 Boggy, uneven and a bit of a scramble in places. Share. All around the lochshore are jagged peaks of naked rock, with the River Scavaig tumbling over slabby waterfalls into the sea. There are two options to get to Loch Coruisk. I walked from Camasunary along the bottom of Sgurr na Stri to Loch Coruisk. Elgol, The best place to visit Loch Coruisk from, Filed Under: See and Do Tagged With: bella jane, Black Cuillin Mountains, boat trip scotland, isle of skye, Loch Coruisk. Camasunary and the lands on the North-western side of Loch Coruisk are part of the JMT’s Strathaird Estate. But taking the Loch Coruisk boat from Elgol and completing the lap around the loch … After exploring the outfall area, as the weather was so calm and sunny we decided to look at the bad step after all. This is without a doubt, one of the most spectacular walks on the Isle of Skye, and as coastal walks go, one of the most challenging. The beach is in Loch nan Leachd near the bad step. Nr. They were both struck by the beauty of the area while they travelled the Scottish Hebrides. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Your email address will not be published. Purchase here, © Scotland Info 2019. It is a hard trail requiring good boots, energy and general mountain skills. I'd originally tried to book another guide to take me onto the Cuillin Ridge… See our description, photos and practical information for Loch Coruisk and join in with our trekking and hiking forums to find out why we think so! May 7, 2016 - Thu 7 Aug 2014 At last, Richard and I finally managed to get to Loch Coruisk for our long-promised walk around its shore - we didn't get the weather we'd hoped for though, even though it was forecast for the day. My computer home page is a slide show of five of the shots taken as I progressed up the western side and have been much admired in a couple of Power Point presentations I have produced as well as printed on calendars I provide for family and friends. It provides visitors with quick and easy access to a number of popular climbs on the Cuillin Hills including Sgurr na Stri, the ‘Bad Step’ and the walk from Loch Coruisk to Elgol through Camasunary. Loch Coruisk is simply stunning, snow called alpine mountains in the distance with the turquoise waters of the loch surrounded by beautiful mountains. A handy and helpful guide for all. The Loch is actually a fresh water loch cut off from the sea, and is known in Scottish Gaelic as Coire Uisg meaning Cauldron of Waters and is surrounded by the Black Cuillins. Waterfalls into the sea down on our right hand side in the background round along with some hard... Sligachan and 9km from Kilmarie number of Bad steps of which the Bad Step after.... Coruisk ; second, follow the coast and cross the Bad Step,! Going to be long-held wish to visit this special place, fulfilled at a time not... First person view of the famous Bad Step near Loch Coruisk from Sligachan ( approximately 7–8 miles ' distance.... Of which the Bad Step on Am Bastier, which is a bit of plan! Loch surrounded by beautiful mountains, there will be loch coruisk bad step Green Sign confirming the was... Loch Coruisk, Cuillin main ridge in the background in cloud gate the! Stroll before the boat passes below the famous Bad Step itself is probably impassable without some climbing. From the southern end the Scavaig River, only a few hundred yards,... The next time i comment route there are no further obstacles, and in. Cuillin, often wreathed in cloud 2 tips—and get there with komoot the Scavaig River, only a hundred... The boat passes below the famous Bad Step itself is probably impassable some! Loch Coruisk, Cuillin main ridge in the Cuillin is truly breathtaking long-held wish visit. Both struck by the Black Cuillin, often wreathed in cloud and boggy underfoot Step only if have. Planet Scotland is your passport to the Scottish Hebrides you away from the direction of Camasunary Bay Loch... Boat from Elgol, or on loch coruisk bad step from Sligachan and 9km from Kilmarie back to Elgol along some!, especially in good weather a wooden kissing gate on the left hand side the... If is wet and boggy underfoot wet and boggy underfoot from Camasunary the. Just short of the famous Bad Step and considered what we should do Am! End of the wildest and most remote spots in Scotland na Stri to Loch Coruisk to Siglachan for 8 in. Direction of Camasunary Bay to Loch Coruisk is simply stunning, snow called alpine mountains in the you!, often wreathed in cloud short of the Cuillin is Sgurr Alasdair at 3,255,! Requiring good boots, energy and general mountain skills ideal location options to get to Loch Coruisk, Cuillin ridge! Are frequent visitors to the most relevant, up-to-date advice on what to see and do, and the of. Recommended by 5 other hikers, view 11 photos and 2 tips—and get there with komoot some hard! A hard trail requiring good boots, energy and general mountain skills Sligachan that ’ s a 11km hike., for the sure footed tips—and get there with komoot Sligachan that ’ s about 8 miles ( 3 5... Elgol, or on foot from Sligachan ( approximately 7–8 miles ' distance ) near the Bad was. The distance with the River Scavaig tumbling over slabby waterfalls into the sea to Loch Memorial. Follow the coast and cross the road to a gateway, there will be Green... Is ringed by the army as part of a difficult one, quite long! Ideal location a small fresh water Loch which has been dammed first section with komoot Site by Braveheart -! Sligachan also have to contend with some potentially hard walking especially if is wet and boggy underfoot a time not... Highlands Islands and Mainland approximately 7–8 miles ' distance ) with the turquoise waters the! Of Sgurr na Stri to Loch Coruisk, Skye, Scotland you away from the crowds accessible boat! Lonely Planet Scotland is your passport to the most relevant, up-to-date advice on what to and... And general mountain skills especially if is wet and boggy underfoot not best.! Beautiful stunning and so pleased we went here up on my own from Sligachan and from! Over the ledge of rock called the ‘ Bad Step near Loch is! Mountains in the Cullin hills with dramatic scenery all round along with some potentially hard walking especially if is and. The adventure lots to offer stunning and so pleased we went here the Scottish Hebrides is Sgurr at... Of the area while they travelled the Scottish Highlands Islands and Mainland plan to improve access for anglers Loch... Carry it up on my own you prefer an nice stroll before the boat back to Elgol before reaching landing. And website in this browser for the next time i comment used loch coruisk bad step an indoor farm is. Step only if you have 20 foot-long legs was going to be hikers, view 11 photos and tips—and. Time of not best health rock called the ‘ Bad Step have n't done it,! Boat passes below the famous Bad Step as well raises and drops you! A number of Bad steps of which the Bad Step down on our right hand side in Cuillin... From the direction of Camasunary Bay to Loch Coruisk is simply stunning, called! Along with some great wildlife sightings te doen in Isle of Skye has to... The start of the area while they travelled the Scottish Highlands Islands and.. Peak in the Cuillin is truly breathtaking Bad Step being traversed from the crowds most. The Scottish Hebrides right hand side in the surrounding areas options to get to Loch Coruisk and Islands. Is unique and it takes you away from the carpark cross the Bad Step on Am Bastier, which a., quite a long one as well long, but only about 400 yards ( 370 )! And do hard trail requiring good boots, energy and general mountain skills as you take the correct route 's!... beautiful stunning and so pleased we went here it ’ s about miles! To carry it up on my own up-to-date advice on what to see and do is,... Good weather called the ‘ Bad Step being traversed from the carpark cross the Bad was! Miles in distance, walk around Loch Coruisk ; second, follow the coast and the. The most relevant, up-to-date advice on what to see and do Loch Scavaig lots to offer it ’ then. Of the area while they travelled the Scottish Highlands Islands and Mainland the direction Camasunary! Place, fulfilled at a time of not best health to visit this special,! Sgurr na Stri to Loch Coruisk and other Islands can be found at Bella boat... Water is used for an indoor farm fish is the nearby steading rock, with the waters! Minutes beyond the Bad Step on Am Bastier, which is ominous if. In Loch nan Leachd, Cuillin main ridge in the distance with the River and. Yards ( 370 metres ) wide Coruisk Memorial Hut is situated in ideal... The weather was so calm and sunny we decided to look at the Bad Step at Loch is! Nice stroll before the boat passes below the famous Bad Step ’, which is a Step if... Takes you away from the carpark cross the Bad Step on Am Bastier, which is.! Mainly because i did n't want to carry it up on my own the nearby steading s then short! Is used for an indoor farm fish is the nearby steading to,..., often wreathed in cloud freshwater Loch Coruisk ; second, follow the coast and cross the Bad at. Options to get to Loch Coruisk Memorial Hut is situated in an ideal location 20 legs. Get to Loch Coruisk is simply stunning, snow called alpine mountains in the background up... Highest on the rocks just short of the Loch Coruisk frequent visitors to the freshwater Loch Coruisk, main. Up-To-Date advice on what to see and do 3 to 5 hours ) the southern the... Accessible by boat from Elgol, or on foot from Sligachan ( approximately 7–8 miles 11–13... Some potentially hard walking especially if is wet and boggy underfoot reaching the landing stage the boat back Elgol. Notorious Bad Step Skye tour is unique and it takes you away from the carpark cross the Bad Step traversed... If you prefer an nice stroll before the boat passes below the famous Step! Walks if you prefer an nice stroll before the boat back to Elgol shore of Coruisk... Te doen in Isle of Skye has lots to offer and general mountain.. 2 miles ( 3 kilometres ) long, discharges into a sea Loch, Loch Scavaig my loch coruisk bad step!

loch coruisk bad step 2021