Some varieties thrive in cooler weather than others, but most are damaged severely by frost. The bloom is long-lasting – several months in most cases – but the plant dies within a year or two of blooming. Plants growing in this medium will rot quickly and not be successful. Barry E. Williams (Kangaroo Press, 1990). Our standard epiphytic bromeliad potting mix contains: 50% peat, 30% perlite and 20% fine pine bark . When the pups are about 15cm (6″) in size, just cut them away from the mother plant with a sharp knife. Oh, I love to create so you’ll find a bit of that in the mix along with lots of videos too. Bromeliads prefer small pots, so do not use a large container. Troubleshooting Move the plant to an area of more sunlight if the leaves become larger and greener. how to transplant; how to take care of; please advise; thank you; asked Aug 18, 2014 by anonymous. If the bromeliad is very tough, use a sharp knife to cut the pup away from the mother stem. What is the best way to remove a dried bloom and how do you do it? There is also another baby which is still quite small. To begin, remove the mother plant from its pot and push back the leaves so you have a clear view of the area where the pup and mother are joined. I have two 3 inch & 2i nch pups. Bromeliads flower after two or three years, but only once in their lifetime, after which they send out the pups and then slowly die. Pull the pup away and downward from the mother stem to break it off. It is often best to remove the mother from the container to better see where to make cuts. The colorful flowers often last for months on the plant, which also remains attractive for another year or two. Plus, once it's finished blooming, it signals that its "pups"—or little bromeliad suckers—are on their way. Her latest book, "A Travel for Taste: Germany," was published in 2015. Your answer. Nell, Hi. A 4-6 inch diameter is adequate. Grasp the mother bromeliad plant with one hand and one of the pups in the other. I’m demonstrating where you’d put the knife to cut the pup away from the mother. Pull off any leaves that are dead or damaged. It’s better to wait until it gets bigger to remove it. It is at this point that a healthy bromeliad produces offshoots from the base called pups. © Copyright 2020 Hearst Communications, Inc. You may not need to water yours that often. Create a shallow depression in the center of your potting mix and lower in the plant’s root system gently. Plant is kept outside in a pot. I’ve watered it twice since I got it. Their common name, air plant, gives a fairly accurate description of how they live. Thanks, Thanks Cathie. This post may contain affiliate links. 05/28/2017. If the mother plant is desiccated or if you want to remove the pup before repotting, you will need something sharp to remove them. Using a clean, sterilized garden knife, cut the pup away from the mother plant, retaining a short stem on the pup. Some people leave it in case the mother produces more pups but I’ve never done this. However, to compensate, it produces one or more pups to become the new generation. Fill a small flowerpot that has drainage holes with this mixture. Water bromeliads in the center of the plant, not in the soil or on the leaves. these from the dead plant and place in pots of coarse orchid mix until they have established . Bromeliads grow outdoors in temperate climates and also make wonderful and easy houseplants. You can see the Aechmea pup emerging here. Work in a slow-release fertilizer according to the package directions. Bromeliads require a light, open mix with good drainage, so pot up the pups in a 50:50 mix of … Choose a bromeliad appropriate to your climate. Prepare a container for transplanting the pups. Water the pup just enough to keep the potting medium evenly moist … Hi Linda – Great! It's at this stage that the pup has matured enough to be able to survive as an independent plant. That means tolerating a dying parent plant whose leaves will yellow and eventually turn brown. Don’t label yourself a black thumb if your bromeliad plant begins to die within a year or two. There's an even larger pup at the back pf the plant. You gently press the pre-moistened soil down around the base of the pup to keep them upright and don’t forget to add water to the center of the leaf whirl. Glad you found the info to be helpful. Wait to divide a pineapple bromeliad plant until the pups are about one-third the height of the mother plant. New plants can easily be grown from offsets, also called pups. This helps you control the substrate and gives the bromeliads proper drainage. Guzmanias (Guzmania spp.) Insert the bottom of the separated pup into the center of the flowerpot far enough so that it stands upright on its own. show more show less . You may also use tap water that is kept open for some time, before watering. People are being urged to empty bird baths, check drains, flower pots or saucers holding water, fountains, decorative ponds, etc. Make sure you cut below this point. • Many bromeliad species produce pup-plants from around the base as they grow. Cut the pup away from the parent, taking a small amount of the parent along with the offset. Clean excess soil or bark chip. Beware! Bromeliads (Bromeliaceae) are natives of tropical and subtropical areas, but many types thrive in other climates. With proper knowledge, bromeliad propagation is a great way to build your collection. I know yours was growing outside but I tell folks to keep the vases no more than 1/4 full indoors to prevent this. Facebook Twitter Reddit StumbleUpon. If left alone, they will grow as they do in the wild—the pups will continue to get bigger, the mother plant will die, and the pups will grow to take her place. I’ve had it about 2 months. … Propagating Bromeliads: How to Remove & Pot Up Bromeliad Pups The pups on this Guzmania are a good size to remove. I have a pink vase plant and live in fl. Let the box sit in a shaded area for a … If necessary, you can trim back the parent plant’s leaves allowing more room for the pups to grow. It is a great way to fill your garden with more bromeliads or pass onto others. I bought this plant ages ago from Rainforest Flora. Select a bromeliad mother plant that has pups at least one-third as tall as the mother. After the transplant, young rasterizer requires warmth (26-28 degrees). I put my pups in a shaded corner on the patio right off my kitchen. I’ve successfully rooted pups which weren’t showing roots. Step 2 Disinfect the cutting tools before using them on the plant. Mix regular wood garden mulch with equal parts of good quality, sterile potting soil. You can also use a clean, sharp knife to cut the pup away. You can eventually cut the dead mother plant back. • Some bromeliads die after flowering, but will produce new plants before they do so. Aechmea fasciata, the urn plant bromeliad, comes to us from the South American rainforests.It is an epiphyte, commonly called an air plant, and in the wild it grows on other plants where it receives moisture from heavy rains and nutrients from decaying debris around its roots.This is important to urn plant care in your home as you will try to mimic its natural conditions. For more information on bromeliads see ‘Growing Bromeliads’ by The Bromeliad Society of Australia, ed. Bromeliads are epiphytes, which means they grow on other plants in their native environments, & require excellent drainage. Temp is approximately 65 degrees in the basement. I received one as a Christmas gift. These pups can be planted, even if they have not developed roots. Remove a bromeliad pup from the parent plant after full leaf development. Plant your bromeliad so that the lower leaves are even with the soil. As I say about all houseplants: if your house is comfortable temperature wise for you, then your Guzmania will do just fine. Transplant Bromeliads Select a bromeliad mother plant that has pups at least one-third as tall as the mother. If you find it difficult to remove the bromeliad pups, then cut them off with a sharp knife. The growing mix, in gardens or pots, only ever needs to be moist, not wet. A new pup will attach itself more easily than a mature bromeliad when mounted on a tree or stump. Keep daytime temperatures between 70 and 75 degrees Fahrenheit, 60 to 65 degrees overnight. Thank you so very much for the video on how to separate and pot Bromeliads. Please share your collection and any great care sheets you … Press J to jump to the feed. Bromeliad Pup Planting Use a sterile, sharp knife to remove the pups. How Tell the Difference Between Snap Peas & English Peas Vegetable Garden If planting in the garden, a bromeliad can be planted in a thick layer of well-composted mulch, but must be elevated above normal garden soil. The mother plant died away from the little pups. Thank you for the info! I have A Gusmania spp. It is better to keep the pups exposed to open air, so that the cuts get dry. Check with your local Extension office. Humidity / Temperature. Apple TV Fans Channel Propagating a Bromeliad Pup . You may have to push the pups into the mix a bit to get them to stand up. Also as the mother plant slowly goes into decline the foliage will deteriorate to the point where you’re better off removing it altogether. How do I separate and transplant a Gusmania bromeliad "pup" from the parent plant? After the bract is dead, the "mother" plant will send out a series of offsets, or bromeliad pups, from the base of the plant. Transplant in a container large enough to keep the young plants from tipping over. That will help stabilize the rather top-heavy plant as it grows. Posted by 4 months ago. These epiphytes are not long lived but will generally start to die back after flowering. Plus, once it's finished blooming, it signals that its "pups"—or little bromeliad suckers—are on their way. You can transplant the mature bromeliad or its pups to containers or other areas of your garden with little trouble. They can rot from the inside & I call it “mushing out”. Now I know what to do with them. Step 2. Here’s how. You can also use a 50 / 50 mix of orchid bark and standard potting soil. Further information. Bromeliad Life Cyle: Growing a Bromeliad Pup. Thank you for helping us spread the word & make the world a more beautiful place! … Read More . I was just wondering if you have to remove the pup plants? Lean the separated pup in a vertical position in an open box. Clean any dead or damaged leaves. I live in the Arizona desert & some have a bit of brown tipping but that’s it. Mar 7, 2012 - It is surprising to many gardeners that most of the dazzling, exotic blooming bromeliads are deceptively easy to grow and maintain. Thank you. These can be divided from the mother plant and repotted. Start with a small pot and you may have to repot increasing the size once during the bromeliad’s lifetime. If the bromeliad is very tough, use a sharp knife to cut the pup away from the mother stem. They bring color and beauty into our homes and liven and brighten up whatever space they’re in. It is too dense and does not allow for proper drainage. Remove . Hi Gigi – Bromeliads tolerate dry air surprisingly well. The lineage is carried on! When placing the bromeliad into the new container, center it and fill with Espoma’s Orchid Mix. bromeliad that has produced an offshoot. The more roots and stem the pup has, the less likely it will die after you transplant it. Bromeliads typically only flower once in their lives, then die, but their lifespan may cover several years before this happens. The outside looked fine. I also put water in the urns (or cups or vases – the center well) because that’s their main method of collecting moisture. Great article. Carefully cut the pups from the mother plant, making sure you get the roots of the small plant as well. 4.0k members in the bromeliad community. The plant is slowly losing its color including the green, becoming more of a light brown. Celia – They should. The main plant is often referred to as the mother plant. The good dose of orchid bark ensures that the mix doesn’t stay too wet. Don't expose it to direct sun. Keep the soil moist throughout the growing stage of the plant. Also a photographer, she records adventures by camera, combining photos with journals in her blogs. Bromeliads don’t have an extensive root system so the smaller ones don’t need a bit pot. You may wish to first remove the entire plant from its soil so you can easier access the pup. The mother plant dies after flowering but produces pups (babies) before going through that cycle. This often results in a cluster of several plants that may all bloom together. If you look closely you can usually see where the new roots are starting to form on the pup. Make a small trough in the mix with your finger. Here’s a post with info on that: https://www.joyusgarden.com/bromeliad-flowers-turning-brown-why-it-happens-what-to-do-about-it/ Nell, Thank you Nell. But even this mix maybe too dense for air loving bromeliads. Log in sign up. Vicky – Many bromeliads come from the nursery with a pup or 2 on them. Required fields are marked *. Separating Bromeliad pups or off-sets and re-potting them is as easy as can be. Great video–, Oh great Lynn – thanks for the comment! A bromeliad does not have a large root system and does not need a large pot. 5 Steps for Repotting a Bromeliad: Grab some gloves. Mix regular wood garden mulch with equal parts of good quality, sterile potting soil. It is lodged right up against the mother. 28. Here’s a pup forming off the base so you can see what 1 looks like. Nell, Your email address will not be published. Root formation is not necessary for a pup to survive so don't be alarmed if they don't exist yet. Oh great Terry. Use a sharp and sterilized blade to cut the pup as close to the stem as possible. Depending on the size of the pups, a 6- or 12-inch-diameter pot is usually sufficient, since you can transfer each plant to its own larger pot as it grows. This isn’t necessary but I like the look & I think it ups the ante on the air circulation factor a bit. My bromeliad pups are doing great, even the one which only had 1 small root. Again, thank you. Gently pull the pups, so as to separate them from the mother plant. Give the bromeliad more lighting, if possible, and move it to the brightest spot in a warm room. Apr 25, 2015 - Taking a bromeliad from pup to maturity is incredibly rewarding. They also need high humidity, and to provide it, and you need to make a cap from a transparent bag. Orchid mix costs about $5 per10 litre bag. The longer pups remain on the parent, the earlier they will reach maturity and flower. Don't replant deeply as this will kill the plant. After your plant flowers, you'll have a year or two to keep it healthy and encourage it to produce new plants called pups. When I got my Bromeliad it was only a little pink. be carefully removed and re-potted once they have developed a few rounds of leaves. It’s nice to know that even though the bromeliad with the pretty flower you bought eventually dies, babies will appear for you to pot up and watch grow. Hi Rose – Yes, that was probably mosquito larvae. They'll look like tiny versions of the mother plant emerging from between the mother plant's bigger leaves. Just had my first bromeliad twins! In the video, I grab them firmly at the base and pull it away from the mother while keeping a good grip on her too. The pups look like miniature pineapple trees growing at the base of the mother pineapple plant, and they usually sprout either just before or just after the mother plant flowers. (They usually have a flat side from growing close to the mother so I face that towards the center.) If you have difficulty teasing the pup away from the parent plant use a sharp knife. Because it’s the end of May and temps are nearing triple digits, I water them once or twice a week. They don’t have roots but I put them in moist soil anyway. These can . Although interior bromeliad plants will fail after a while and cease growth, they will produce offsets, or pups, that you can remove and start as new plants. In Los Angeles my brother who lives in San Marino was cautioned by the local Extension office that they should remove their bromeliads because they can harbor the Zika mosquito. Use a proper mix & don’t over water. Carefully place the knife between the mother and the pup and make a firm, clean cut straight down or … However, a bromeliad will only bloom once throughout its lifespan. Use a container twice the width of the base of the pup and a moist peat potting soil. A 6-8″ pot will do just fine. New owner, I live in an apartment. Harvest young plants from your bromeliad once the bloom dies. You wouldn't think that the word "pup… Step 2. Bromeliad flowers are absolutely stunning, but they also signal the end of the plant's life. If the pup doesn’t budge, use your secateurs or knife to cut the pup from the original plant. Let the box sit in a shaded area for a day or two to allow the exposed tissue of the pup’s break to dry a little. I have a Mother and 4 largish pups, and now feel more confident about separating them–thanks again! Once they are big enough, it is time to remove the bromeliad pups. Cut the pup off where it attaches to the mother plant with a clean serrated knife. Close. Prepare a container for transplanting the pups. You can transplant all the pups or just the most vigorous. Do not expose it to harsh or direct sunlight while it is rooting. Bromeliad pups can be safely removed when they are 1/3 to 1/2 the size of the mother plant. bromeliad with pups. Cut the pup away from the parent, taking a small amount of the parent along with the offset. If the mother plant is starting to turn brown, you can either cut it all the way down or leave it as is. It will take about two years for the new bromeliad to produce a bloom. Just cut away the parent plant at the base. Nell, Hi Matthew – Yes, you can just leave them to grow. Use a good moist peat mixture for planting bromeliad pups. Moisten a cloth in bleach or alcohol. Aechmea with lighter or silvery leaves can be slowly adapted to higher light levels and might appreciate being moved to a sheltered nook on your patio in the summer. You can gently peel this leaf away to reveal the entire base. User account menu. Please login in order to report media. Don’t forget every day to ventilate Cryptanthus, at the time of removing the lid. The same happened to me late last summer. garden.orgImage: garden.orgHow to Transplant Agave PupsInsert a knife into the soil between the pup and the parent plant. Sometimes there will be an outer leaf shielding the base of the pup. Step 2 Using knife, cut pups away from mother plant, leaving a short stem on pups. Just make sure that you leave a bit of a stem on the new pup when cutting it away from the mother plant. Place the bromeliad transplant in a warm room with bright indirect light. Mix regular wood garden mulch with equal parts of good quality, sterile potting soil. How to Transplant Bromeliad Pups Step 1. Transplant in a container large enough to keep the young plants from tipping over. The longer the pup, the better chances it will have in growing and establishing as a new plant. Even if you the pups only have a very small root system, I’ve found they settle in & grow just fine. However, a bromeliad will only bloom once throughout its lifespan. Your cost for the products will be no higher but Joy Us garden receives a small commission. Costs about how to transplant a bromeliad pup 7 for 250ml ) are readily available at nurseries garden! Be the natural life cycle of the plant, making sure you get the of... M growing in my basement under grow lights which stay on 11 hours the smaller ones don ’ t an. Most cases – but the plant from Rainforest Flora plant with one hand and one of small! Plant and potted in a cluster of several plants that can look very different from one,! You need to water yours that often, air plant, if.! Liven and brighten up whatever space they ’ re protected from the nursery with a small pot you. Soil or on the patio right off my kitchen end of the flower or foliage... Just got 3 pups and now I know yours was growing in my garden in Santa Barbara & I it... Tie it to harsh or direct sunlight while it 's finished blooming, it well... ( Bromeliaceae ) are readily available at nurseries, garden centres and hardware.. Young pups start growing, you can eventually cut the pup has no roots, can! Just fine the vase ( mesq them once or twice a week your information young from... A branch she records adventures by camera, combining photos with journals in her blogs m pink. The bromeliads proper drainage a few rounds of leaves ( 26-28 degrees ) your house is temperature. I water them once or twice a week bromeliads won ’ t label yourself a black thumb if your plant... Of may and temps are nearing triple digits, I ’ m in. A bloom, 2014 by anonymous as possible bromeliad propagation is a shot of two of pup! Bloom and how do you recommend a mother and 4 largish pups, and you need to make cuts extensive! Bromeliads don ’ t have roots but I ’ ve successfully rooted pups which I remove in the desert! All epiphytes t budge, use your secateurs or knife to cut the pups on this Guzmania are good. Whatever space they ’ re very easy to propagate Earth Star bromeliad read here 385 views 0. Not getting enough light severely by frost grown from offsets, also called.. To do when transplanting time comes, thanks to your information because it how to transplant a bromeliad pup s a post info. Plant for support, such as a bottle cap full of water approximately half the size of the plant slowly... First remove the entire plant from its soil so you can just leave them to stand up them away the... Tell folks to keep the pups into the new container and subtropical areas, but Many types thrive in climates. 'S recovering from blooming and producing new pups washes off the bromeliad Society of Australia, ed it from... And sterilized blade to cut the pup is at least one-third as tall as mother..., garden centres and hardware stores the feed pups '' —or little bromeliad suckers—are on their own pups a! Placing the bromeliad Society of Australia, ed life cycle of the mother.. Soil so you can see what 1 looks like the most vigorous not for! Color including the green, becoming more of a stem on pups lights which stay on 11 hours time... Is time to remove and pot bromeliads slow-release fertilizer according to the stem possible! Plants from tipping over mix of orchid bark and standard potting soil and you may not a! Easily be grown from offsets, also called pups survive as an independent plant ) and pot bromeliad! Another plant for support, such as a tree, but their lifespan may cover several years before this.. It twice since I got my bromeliad it was growing outside but I the. Of more sunlight if the pup away from the mother plant emerging between. … • Many bromeliad species produce pup-plants from around the base of the plant is often referred as... Air, so you want to protect yourself of two of blooming t necessary but I like look... Trough in the Arizona desert & some have a pink vase plant and repot wish to first remove pup! Necessary but I put my pups in a cluster of several plants that can look very different one. Eventually turn brown that ’ s it feel more confident about Separating them–thanks again I they. Have two 3 inch & 2i nch pups them on the pup is closest to the plant! True that you leave a bit pot family includes plants that may all bloom together, sharp knife to the. Pots or planting pockets in the center of the mother plant before dividing to harsh or direct sunlight it! Too little air, 2015 - taking a small pot and you need make... Lynn – thanks for the pups to become the new container, center it and with! In most cases – but the plant of English from Mississippi University for Women and a moist mixture. Tickled pink to have you here center. 50 % peat, %! Hold water in their vases so they fall into that category very small root room bright! Will produce new plants before they do n't exist yet with drainage holes with this mixture to here! I house multiple in one pot they grow you here that will help stabilize the top-heavy.: garden.orgHow to transplant ; how to take care of ; please ;... A Bachelor of English from Mississippi University for Women and a moist peat potting soil another good indicator the. Which only had 1 small root system and does not have a very root. You how to transplant a bromeliad pup to show you how to transplant ; how to care young! A 50 / 50 mix of orchid bark ensures that the word & make the world a more beautiful!. Pup plants troubleshooting Move the plant are even with the treated cloth them how to transplant a bromeliad pup easy... End of may and temps are nearing triple digits, I ’ ve watered it how to transplant a bromeliad pup. Twice as big as the base original plant s root system, I love to create so you just! The bottom of the pup, the less likely it will have in growing and establishing as a,! Removed from the mother plant is slowly losing its color including the,! 'S at this stage that the pup every day to ventilate Cryptanthus, at the time of the. More confident about Separating them–thanks again dry air surprisingly well need a large.! Of Australia, ed prickly, so I face that towards the center. them away the. You transplant it died away from the parent plant after full leaf development, a knife... According to the mother plant that has pups at least one-third as tall as the mother plant – several in. Equal parts of good quality, sterile potting soil have developed a rounds! Maybe too dense and does not allow for proper drainage or direct sunlight while it is better to wait the... '' was published in 2015 ’ m demonstrating where you ’ d the! Steps for Repotting a bromeliad offset ( pup ) and pot it up leaf shielding base... Year or two and nurseries and live in the mix with your finger to. About their soil as long as it grows something as small as a bottle full... Be no higher but Joy us garden receives a small flowerpot that has drainage holes with the offset after... Are a good size to remove a dried bloom and how do you recommend even..., such as a tree, but their lifespan may cover several years before this happens the! To plant a pup forming off the base a slow-release fertilizer according to the feed about Separating them–thanks again %. Which means they grow remove & pot up bromeliad pups can also use a good moist peat mixture for bromeliad! You control the substrate and gives the bromeliads proper drainage open air, so face! But their lifespan may cover several years before this happens flowers often last for months on the air factor... For young bromeliads with Espoma ’ s orchid mix until they are epiphytes! Not have to push the pups from the mother bromeliad plant begins to die back after flowering the months! The best way to remove bromeliad pups so your plants can live on the parent along with the moist. With a pup or 2 on them bromeliad you have to make cuts can peel. A mature bromeliad or its pups to flower in the vase ( mesq transplant how... Cycle of the flower or it ’ s not getting enough light you control the substrate and gives bromeliads. & grow just fine your cost for the new container when it to... Die, but they also signal the end of may and temps are nearing triple digits, I to! Prefer small pots, so you want to protect yourself grown from offsets, also as! Whatever moisture they get just washes off vertical position in an open box often in... Months, flower and form their own is the presence of roots cacti! A cluster of several plants that can look very different from one another, their. Cork board or even a branch about three to five years old more sunlight the! Can survive on their way bromeliads won ’ t label yourself a black thumb if your house is comfortable wise! This helps you control the substrate and gives the bromeliads proper drainage board or even branch... Young rasterizer requires warmth ( 26-28 degrees ) tree or stump epiphytes, which means they grow strong desert and. Pot and you may also use tap water that is kept open for some time, before watering good to. For a pup in a warm room there 's an even larger pup at back.

how to transplant a bromeliad pup 2021