The mules pulling Dan’s wagon soon became sick and one died. Some of the emigrants lost toes, others fingers, and again others whole hands and feet; one woman [see biography for Maren Johansen, also known as Mary Johnson, (Parsons), Hunt Company] who now resides in Koosharem, Piute Co., Utah, lost both her legs below the knees, and quite a number who survived became cripples for life, but so far as I remember there were no fresh cases of frozen limbs after my arrival in camp. He was bare foot… in icy water. Italy was one of the interesting ports Eph visited during his enlistment. Ephraim became friends with a fellow-soldier, Arza Hinckley. Ephraim's Rescue motivated me to learn more about Ephraim Hanks and the experiences portrayed in the movie. I think the sun was about an hour high in the west when I spied something in the distance that looked like a black streak in the snow. The preface of this book states: “Ephraim Knowlton Hanks did not keep a diary, but in the sunset of his life took time out to tell his story to two different scribes who recorded the, experiences, only to have both manuscripts mysteriously disappear. The starved forms and haggard countenances of the poor sufferers, as they moved about slowly, shivering with cold, to prepare their scanty evening meal was enough to touch the stoutest heart. Ephraim's Rescue subtitles. He related to me the following:”. From T.C. The film begins with an account of an elderly Ephraim Hanks racing to the Johnson home to heal Sister Johnson, who is seriously ill. “Come to me,” “help me,” “please administer to my sick wife,” or “my dying child,” were some of the requests that were made of me almost hourly for some time after I had joined the immigrants, and I spent days going from tent to tent administering to the sick. Excel Entertainment and Remember Films, 2013. He discovers, through it all, that decisions determine destiny. The terrific storm which caused the immigrants so much suffering and loss overtook me near the South Pass, where I stopped about three days with Reddick N. Allred, who had come out with provisions for the immigrants. A couple pulls their handcart across a river in "Ephraim's Rescue," a true story about a Mormon frontiersman named Ephraim Hanks and his role in helping to rescue the Martin handcart company in 1856. 5. Follow Ephraim as his adventures lead him to join the Mormon Church and to ultimately lead one of the most heroic rescues in American history. As I got near to it, I perceived it moved; then I was satisfied that this was the long looked for hand-cart company, led by Captain Edward Martin. [Ephraim had passed the Willie Company and the rescuers already with them near Ft.Bridger on Nov. 2. No late fees. As I was preparing to make a bed in the snow with the few articles that my pack animal carried for me, I thought how comfortable a buffalo robe would be on such an occasion, and also how I could relish a little buffalo meat for supper, and before lying down for the night I was instinctively led to ask the Lord to send me a buffalo. Seeing a large herd of buffalo nearby, Ephraim went hunting and was able to kill a buffalo, dress and load. Attention to period detail is what drives Ephraim’s Rescue, the true story of Ephraim Hanks (Darin Southam), who tests his body and soul to risk his life and provide aid to the Martin Handcart Company in 1856, a group of pioneering Mormons. Ephraim’s Rescue relates the story of Ephraim Hanks: a rescuer of the Martin Handcart company. It is based on the true story of Ephraim Hanks, a simple man who was called to do the work of angels and rescue the people of the Martin Handcart Company. I thought it would be appropriate to share the following life sketch I came upon in my internet research of this third great-uncle. The next day he killed another one. When they saw me coming, they hailed me with joy inexpressible, and when they further beheld the supply of fresh meat I brought into camp, their gratitude knew no bounds. Christensen Cast Darin Southam ... Ephraim Hanks James Gaisford ... Thomas Dobson Katherine Nelson ... Alice Dobson Travis Eberhard ... Albert Christina … save in the Martin Company, Thisbe Read. Ephraim's Rescue (DVD) : Follow Ephraim Hanks as his adventures lead him to join the LDS Church and ultimately to one of the most heroic rescues in American history. Columbus, and immediately learned to hold his own against the older bullies. Attention to period detail is what drives Ephraim’s Rescue, the true story of Ephraim Hanks (Darin Southam), who tests his body and soul to risk his life and provide aid to the Martin Handcart Company in 1856, a group of pioneering Mormons. Show details. I told them also that they should all have the privilege to ride into Salt Lake City, as more teams were coming. It was awesome! It was Sidney’s dream to have these valuable experiences preserved at least for the Hanks, posterity. I did not see “17 Miracles” yet, but it’s not necessary. Ephraim’s Rescue – Story of My Great Grandfather. Ephraim's Rescue is a religious historical drama film by T. C. Christensen, released in 2013 by Excel Entertainment Group. Truly the Lord was with me and others of His servants who labored faithfully together with me in that day of. The sight that met my gaze as I entered their camp can never be erased from my memory. 11 users rated this 5 out of 5 stars 11. The film does narrative justice in that it does not remain in Ephraim’s perspective, but also bounces between a few members of the pioneers, including Thomas (James Gaisford). Decisions Determine Destiny. Companies mention the arrival of Ephraim Hanks. While Ephraim’s account does not mention Arza Hinckley, his old Mormon Battalion chum did write about his experience with Ephraim in the rescue. 3. One evening after having gone as far as Fort Bridger Iwas requested by a sister to come and administer to her son, whose name was Thomas. Decisions determine destiny. “United in Faith - The Rescue of the Martin Handcart Companies” by Steven K. Jones (SUP Research Library, Special Collections), 6. Christensen, director of the sensational pioneer film, 17 Miracles, comes the heroic true story of a simple man who was called to do the work of angels. With a unique desire to help and strengthen others, Ephraim learns that each choice we make can prepare us for what lies ahead. 2013 Movies; Ephraim's Rescue; Ephraim's Rescue Cast and Crew. First and foremost it is an adventure story in which the plot is driven by the Mormons’ survival in nature. (See source documentation at end.). On November 10, Arza and Ephraim had stopped near Ice Springs Bench. $12.95. item 6 Ephraim's Rescue film DVD [New DVD] sealed, free shipping - Ephraim's Rescue film DVD [New DVD] sealed, free shipping. June 5, 2013 by marilyn 5 Comments by marilyn 5 Comments If you’re a … May 16, 2013 - Last week I had an awesome opportunity to go to the Ephraim’s Rescue blogger event at Deseret Book. A prophecy had been made by one of the brethren that the company should feast on buffalo meat when their provisions might run short; my arrival in their camp, loaded with meat, was the beginning of the fulfillment of that prediction; but only the beginning, as I afterwards shot and killed a number of buffalo for them as we journeyed along. Many such I washed with water and castile soap, until the frozen parts would fall off, after. 0 users rated this 4 out of 5 stars 0. After traveling for some time I met Joseph A. Arza and Ephraim pushed on together. On one occasion when I was lagging behind with a killed buffalo, an English girl by the name of Griffin [see biography for Margaret or Jane Eleanor Griffiths, Martin Compsny] gave out completely, and not being able to walk any further, she lay down with her head in the snow. Ephraim was soon baptized and cast his lot with the Saints in Nauvoo who were soon to become xiles. Ephraim’s Rescue relates the story of Ephraim Hanks: a rescuer of the Martin Handcart company. I have but a very little to say about the sufferings of Captain Martin’s company before I joined it; but it had passed through terrible ordeals. I felt the power of God resting upon me, and addressing the young man, said: “Will you believe the words I tell you?”, His response was “Yes.” I then administered to him, and he was immediately healed. From T.C. 11 product ratings. Find helpful customer reviews and review ratings for Ephraim's Rescue at Amazon.com. They had met the immigrants and were now returning with important dispatches from the camps to the headquarters of the Church, reporting the awful, condition of the companies. Throughout his life, he exercised his spiritual gifts in behalf of others. In fording the Platte River, the largest stream they had to cross after the cold weather set in, the clothes of the imigrants were frozen stiff around their bodies before they could exchange them for others. But notwithstanding these manifestations of the Lord’s goodness, many of the immigrants whose extremities were frozen, lost their limbs, either whole or in part. However, I soon collected myself and was not at a loss to know what to do. Together they were the parents of 12 children. I believe I administered to several hundreds in a single day; and I could give names of many whose lives were saved by the power of God. Christensen, director of the sensational pioneer film, 17 Miracles, comes the heroic true story of a simple man who was called to do the work of angels. With a unique desire to help and strengthen others, Ephraim learns that each choice we make can prepare us for what lies ahead. Ephraim’s Rescue was so much more than I expected. You go on and camp and wait until you hear about the carts, and Dan and I will go on to find the carts.” When asked why he thought he could find the carts when they hadn’t been able to, he replied, “Brigham Young sent me out to find the handcart folks and I will find them or give my life trying to find them.” Most of these men turned back, but Ephraim joined with Arza and Dan the next day. See reviews & details on a wide selection of Blu-ray & DVDs, both new & used. When I saw the terrible condition of the immigrants on first entering their camp, my heart almost melted within me. Ratings and Reviews. With a unique desire to help and strengthen others, Ephraim learns that each choice we make can prepare us for what lies ahead. Arza said to them, “I will make a proposition with you. By listening to and following his heart, Ephraim Hanks finds his way in life and eventually provides relief and rescue to the suffering Martin Handcart Company. Amazon.ca - Buy Ephraim's Rescue at a low price; free shipping on qualified orders. Being deeply concerned about the possible fate of the immigrants, and feeling anxious to learn of their condition, I determined to start out on horseback to meet them; and for this purpose I secured a pack-saddle and two animals (one to ride and one to pack), from Brother Allred, and began to make my way slowly through the snow alone. Follow Ephraim as his adventures lead him to join the LDS Church and ultimately to one of the most heroic rescues in American history. Although it is always challenging to portray spiritual events on the big screen for entertainment, I came away feeling a definite connection with Ephraim and feel like I came to know some of his many strengths and weaknesses! Eph soon set sail on the U.S.S. Based on a true story. [See biography for Thomas, Dobson, Martin Company.] Ephraim’s Rescue relates the story of Ephraim Hanks: a rescuer of the Martin Handcart company. ], In the meantime I continued my lonely journey, and the night after meeting Elders Young and Garr, I camped in the snow in the mountains. The urge to assist in bringing about the fulfillment of this dream welled up in E. Kay, who immediately started the long process of preparation necessary to bring about this book.”, 2. In scores of instances, when we administered to the sick, and rebuked the diseases in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, the sufferers would rally at once; they were healed almost instantly. Fast, free delivery. Reviewed by John Hilton III A mark more of about good the historical original fiction historical is that events. Brigham continued to make public and private calls for rescuers to meet the late companies for the next two months.] He and. In all my travels in the Rocky Mountains both before and afterwards, I have seen no worse. Ephraims Rescue - Rent Movies and TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray. . I rose up in my saddle and tried to speak cheering and comforting words to them. I was soon busily engaged skinning my game, finishing which, I spread the hide on the snow and placed my bed upon it. When Hanks arrives, Brother Johnson informs him that he is too late—his wife passed away two hours previously. . Ephraim K.Hanks was one of the premier frontiersmen of his day. Free shipping. After this the greater portion of my time was devoted to waiting on the sick. Ephraim was a man of great faith.”, Years later, in a letter to Wilford Woodruff, while serving a mission among the Lamanites in Arizona, Arza wrote: “As to myself, it would be better as a traveling missionary, than remaining with a tribe . “Scouting for the Mormons on the Great Frontier” by Sidney Alvarus Hanks- son of Ephraim Knowlton Hanks and Thisbe Quilley Read (Martin Handcart Company) and Ephraim K. Hanks (E. Kay Hanks) - unknown relationship, copyright 1948, Deseret Book Co. Ships from and sold by Bestcollectionbooks. “Arza E. Hinckley Diary 1882-1883” (HBLL at BYU Special Collections Manuscript Collection). Now, I am a firm believer in the efficacy of prayer, for I have on many different. With a unique desire to help and strengthen others, Ephraim learns that each choice we make can prepare us for what lies ahead. Being somewhat fatigued after the day’s journey, I retired to rest quite early, and while I still lay wide awake in my bed I heard a voice calling me by name, and then saying: “The handcart people are in trouble and you are wanted; will you go and help them?” I turned instinctively in the direction from whence the voice came and beheld an ordinary sized man in the room. Without any hesitation I answered “Yes, I will go if I am called.” I then turned around to go to sleep, but had laid only a few minutes when the voice called a second time, repeating almost the same words as on the first occasion. The Dove Foundation is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization whose mission is to encourage and promote the creation, production, distribution and consumption of wholesome family entertainment. I was impressed to do this, although I did not know why until a few hours later, but the thought occurred to my mind that the hand of the Lord was in it, as it was a rare thing to find buffalo herds around that place at this late part of the season. He was particularly noted for the gift of healing. I now hastened to Salt Lake City, and arrived there on the Saturday, preceding the Sunday on which the call was made for volunteers to go out and help the last hand-cart companies in. "Ephraim's Rescue" opens May 31. Ephraim's Rescue (DVD) : Follow Ephraim Hanks as his adventures lead him to join the LDS Church and ultimately to one of the most heroic rescues in American history. I found myself reflecting on the feelings of the characters and realized how many similar feelings I share! 1. Ephraim's Rescue: $3.99: $14.99: Frequently bought together + + Total price: $55.06. Follow Ephraim as his adventures lead him to join the Mormon Church and to ultimately lead one of the most heroic rescues in American history. It was decided to hitch Ephraim’s horses to the wagon and Dan returned with his mules to the shelter of Ft. Bridger. Only 3 left in stock - order soon. I didn’t think I’d cry… but I did. Arza was grateful to see him and said he had hoped that Ephraim would follow them. He discovers, through it all, that decisions determine destiny. They did not know if the last three companies were even out there to be found or if they had wintered over somewhere. I reached the ill-fated train just as the. When at length the snow ceased falling, it lay on the ground so deep that for many days it was impossible to move wagons through it. It has been stated on good authority that nineteen immigrants died in one night. The men already there were discouraged and at risk from the storm. We have had to depend on the information handed down by his own children and the writings of men who rode and lived with him. Jimmy and I saw Ephraim’s Rescue on Saturday night. He joined the rescue efforts of 1856 about three weeks after the first rescue party left Salt Lake. Christensen Produced by Ron Tanner Screenwriter T.C. A few days before the ship reached its home port in New York, the returning Ephraim, like theprodigal son, was concerned about the disappointment he had caused his parents, and decided to return to his home rather than re-enlist in the Navy. Buy the selected items together. Find album reviews, stream songs, credits and award information for Ephraim's Rescue - Paul Cardall on AllMusic - 2013 it motivates While academic people to history study more about the original historical events. These items are shipped from and sold by different sellers. The film was released in select theaters across the United States in the spring of 2013. By listening to and following his heart, Ephraim Hanks finds his way in life and eventually provides relief and rescue to the suffering Martin Handcart Company. See all 21. We are supported primarily by donations from families such as yours. Women and the larger children helped the men to pull the hand-carts, and in crossing the frozen streams, they had to break the ice with their feet. DVD. With a unique desire to help and strengthen others, Ephraim learns that each choice we make can prepare us for what lies ahead. That decision would prove to change the course of his life as he arrived at home and was introduced to the Church by his older brother, Sidney. Five minutes later both my horses had been released of their extra burden–the meat was all gone, and the next few hours found the people in camp busily engaged in cooking and eating it, with thankful hearts. The following is Ephraim’s account of the rescue that he gave later in his life, as recorded in the book “Scouting for the Mormons on the Great Frontier.”, Andrew Jensen states that “In June, 1891, when visiting the Sevier Stake of Zion in the interest of Church history, I became acquainted with Elder Ephraim K. Hanks, who resides in Pleasant Creek, (in the Blue Valley Ward), now in Wayne County, Utah. This item: Ephraim's Rescue DVD $36.80. When I saw her disabled condition I lifted her on my saddle, the horse being loaded with buffalo meat, and in this condition she rode into camp. In 1940 Sidney A. Hanks laid before E. Kay Hanks much material he had been collecting through the years about his father, the pioneer scout, Ephraim K. Hanks. AKA: Resgate de Ephraim. Request a private screening at http://bit.ly/ER_ScreeningFrom T.C. Arza would participate in the rescue together l0 years later. He got up, dressed himself, and danced a hornpipe on the end-board of a wagon, which I procured for that purpose. It was now nearing nightfall, but before making it back to camp, Ephraim spotted the Martin Handcart Company and was able to deliver the life sustaining meat to them and their previous rescuers who were now surviving on scant rations with them. which I would sever the shreds of flesh from the remaining portions of the limbs with my scissors. With a unique desire to help and strengthen others, Ephraim learns that each choice we make can prepare us for what lies ahead. The, survivors who performed the last acts of kindness to those who perished, were not strong enough to dig the graves of sufficient depth to preserve the bodies from the wild beasts, and wolves were actually seen tearing open the graves before the company was out of sight. He discovers, through it … I believe, as such, with such a man as Ephraim Hanks, if we were as well united in the faith and feelings as we were when we went out to meet the handcart company we would be willing [to accomplish the work].”, Ephraim married three times and had 26 children. Mary Goble of the Hunt Company writes that his arrival was like that of a Santa Claus. Castile soap, until the frozen parts would fall off, after mary of... Not know if the last three companies were even out there to be found or if they had wintered somewhere... Left home, worked for awhile on the feelings of the Martin Handcart company. comforting words them. We met the Handcart folks at Ice Springs on the feelings of the severe storm near South Pass, Arza... Soon baptized and cast his lot with the Saints in Nauvoo who were soon to become xiles companies for gift! Sketch I came upon in my saddle and tried to convince these men not to turn back to Lake. Was soon baptized and cast his lot with the Saints in Nauvoo who were soon to become.... And immediately learned to hold his own against the older bullies was devoted to waiting on the Erie and. But I did not see “ 17 Miracles ” yet, but it ’ s dream have! And soon reached what is known as the Ice Springs Bench ratings for Ephraim Rescue... A girl he had helped to others of his servants who labored faithfully together with me in that day.! Rescue - Rent Movies and TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray was ’. From and sold by different sellers the Rescue efforts of 1856 about three after., including actors, actresses, directors, writers and more shelter of Ft... Not to turn back to Salt Lake saddle and tried to speak cheering and comforting words to them to! Lack of sufficient food also told on the Erie Canal and then joined the Rescue l0! Are supported primarily by donations from families such as yours Rescue party left Salt Lake in! Certainly redounded to the shelter of Ft. Bridger companies were even out there be. Jimmy and I saw Ephraim ’ s wagon soon became sick and died... See biography for Thomas, Dobson, Martin company. he joined Rescue! By Lynn Paul ( HBLL at BYU Special Collections Manuscript Collection ) food also told on end-board! Customer reviews and review ratings for Ephraim 's Rescue cast and crew ’ survival in nature impressed upon me vital! Decisions determine destiny this ephraim's rescue narrator greater portion of my time was devoted to waiting on the of. To see him and said he had hoped that Ephraim would follow them efforts 1856... Sufficient food also told on the Sweetwater River efforts of 1856 about three weeks after the first call from Young... The authentic scenery and costuming, and beautiful filming [ see biography for,... In preserving the rich heritage we share with our ancestors went hunting was... Rescue ( 2013 ) cast and crew place to camp just a. short distance here! And ancestors ” compiled by Lorin a. Hinckley, 3 remaining portions the. Definitely ephraim's rescue narrator adding this DVD to our library this our labor of love certainly redounded to the wagon Dan... The Martin Handcart company. gifts in behalf of others 5 out ephraim's rescue narrator stars. Believer in the efficacy of prayer, for I have seen no.. Collections Manuscript Collection ) this item: Ephraim 's Rescue motivated me to ephraim's rescue narrator more the. Procured for that purpose one night, 3 weeks after the first call from Brigham Young on October.... Items are shipped from and sold by different sellers saddle and tried to convince these men not to back... I rose up in my internet research of this our labor of certainly... My travels in the efficacy of prayer, for I have seen worse! Item: Ephraim 's Rescue motivated me to learn more about Ephraim Hanks and experiences. Historical is that events this ephraim's rescue narrator the first call from Brigham Young on October 5 the sick scissors! On DVD and Blu-ray honest and unbiased product reviews from our users nice cow traveled on till evening! On Saturday night will only give the details in one night & used the wagon and Dan arrived! Sever the shreds of flesh from the lack of sufficient food also told on the end-board of a kind merciful. Of healing in my saddle and tried to speak cheering and comforting words to them follow them the in! As I entered their camp can never be erased from my memory it has been stated on authority. The time of the Martin Handcart company. & used party left Lake. October 5 motivates While academic people to history study more about Ephraim and. “ 17 Miracles ” yet, but it ’ s wagon soon became and... Premier frontiersmen of his servants who labored faithfully together with me and of. Quality for Movies & TV shelter of Ft. Bridger against the older.! Them near Ft.Bridger on Nov. 2 me and others of his day years later result..., Martin company. the film was released in 2013 by Excel Group. Relates the story of Ephraim Hanks: a rescuer of the Tomatometer, the. Hinckley ” by Joel Hinckley Bowen, 4, dress and load, went... Him and said he had hoped that Ephraim would follow them with our ancestors and others. For I have on many different I washed with water and castile soap, until the frozen parts fall! Have the privilege to ride into Salt Lake, up part of its meat long. Prepare us for what lies ahead Rescue relates the story of Ephraim Hanks the! Are shipped from and sold by different sellers be erased from my memory Tomatometer, the! Left immediately after the first call from Brigham Young on October 5 dressed himself, and on... Which occurred soon afterwards I resumed my journey, and soon reached is... It ’ s Rescue – story of Ephraim Hanks and the rescuers already with them near on!

ephraim's rescue narrator 2021