It was also another profound decade that marked change in social, financial and tech realms. While the #1 Barbie celebrates her 50th anniversary, having been introduced to the doll market on March 9, 1959, the first Black doll to be given the name Barbie did not arrive on the doll scene until 1979 (box year) or 1980 (market year). For the best experience on our site, be sure to turn on Javascript in your browser. Having a doll who mirrored what I dreamed adulthood would look like — full of upward mobility, adventure, achievement, and glamour — made me believe my fantasies were possible. His goal was to honor the milestone anniversary and the contribution that Black Barbie made to the line and the history of Barbie. Comments. In tribute of her 40th anniversary, the doll has gotten a modern upgrade to her classic look. facts, competitions and the latest in the magical world of toys. But once upon a time, I saw my future as something I could change at will, whenever I wanted to do so. My whole motto has been, ‘If it doesn’t look right on me, then it won’t look right on Barbie.’“. 1959 meets 1999 as Barbie® doll dons a black flock bodice shimmering with silvery glitter nostalgically reminiscent of her original 1959 striped-pattern bathing suit. Our regular newsletters are packed full of events at our stores, fun According to Davis, African American employees asked Mattel to create a Barbie doll that looked like them almost from Barbie’s inception, and Mattel didn’t acquiesce for years to come. Get Shondaland directly in your inbox: SUBSCRIBE TODAY, Like us on Facebook to see similar stories, US Coronavirus: Expert sees 'a ray of sunshine,' but deaths and variant cases are growing, A jittery nation days before Inauguration; gun rights caravans roll into Richmond, Virginia. 10% off orders with "New10" on orders over £35. In a 2019 video interview with The Greenville News, she shared that for ten years she was the only African American designer at Mattel. Representation, or a lack thereof, is not just a problem in the entertainment industry: Its reach permeates almost every area of life. MIB (Mint In Box) 50.00.....Since your box is a … She has the Mackie face mold, and she came with two accessories, an anniversary bouquet of roses, and a miniature original Barbie doll. At present, there are no unemployed versions of Black Barbie for little girls and boys because Black Barbie exists in the realm of possibility, as an emblem of barrier-breaking diversity and inclusion and as a life-imitating-art-imitating-life role model. A decade marked by luxury, excess and wealth. Unfollow 40th anniversary barbie to stop getting updates on your eBay Feed. This doll was released in 1999 to celebrate the 40th anniversary of Barbie. Please enter your email address below to receive a password reset link. The 40th Anniversary First Black Barbie is described on the back of the box (minus a double-word error) as follows: Making her debut in 1980, Black Barbie became the first-ever black fashion doll to actually have the name Barbie. "Children need to be encouraged. Her slim silhouette gown of black organza spills to a delicate tulip hemline. 40th Anniversary Barbie 21384 ,40th Anniversary Barbie (called Freunde Furs Leben Gratuliert in Germany) dons a black flock bodice shimmering with silvery glitter nostalgically reminiscent of her original 1959 striped-pattern bathing She won its prestigious Chairman’s Award twice, in 1985 and 1987, and she also received the doll industry’s highest honor, the Doll of the Year Award. “That’s why we don’t put an age limit on her.” Bill Greening, who designed the reimagined 40th-anniversary tribute doll, agreed, noting that she “represents a beauty that is timeless.”. The ability to purchase American ballet dancer Misty Copeland’s Firebird Barbie doll is just as important as shoe designers’ recent efforts to produce ballet slippers in shades that complement diverse complexions — reportedly 200 years after white ballet slippers were first worn and accepted as the standard. “We really did the opposite of the traditional Barbie doll, which was the full ball gown and long, blonde hair,” she adds. For the best experience on our site, be sure to turn on Javascript in your browser. After all, in 2019 California passed The CROWN Act, which makes it illegal to discriminate against anyone who wears their hair in its natural state. Initially sold wearing a black-and-white swimsuit and sold as a “teenage fashion model,” the original Barbie doll grew to have over 200 careers, with outfits that matched the attire of everything from a CEO to a veterinarian to an astronaut. the original black barbie made her debut in 1980. though beloved friends of barbie - like christie and francie -- were introduced over the preceding decades, this was the first black fashion doll to be hailed as barbie herself. Finishing touches include golden hoop earrings, a necklace and a matching clutch. She said she sits in rooms with people who still can’t “connect the dots” where representation’s importance is concerned, who question why the documentary needs to be made, who say Davis isn’t saying anything “new.”, “It took having a Black woman in the design and leadership position to get a Black Barbie,” Davis said. Buy Now at Macy's ↑ less. The 80’s baby! There are few American women who can say they have not been touched in some way by the Barbie phenomenon. Original Barbie Doll, Best Sellers, Wonder Woman Barbie Doll.. 40th Anniversary Barbie. Connect with friends faster than ever with the new Facebook app. Shop today! Her gown, accessories, and features are similar to — but not an exact replica of — the doll created by Kitty Black Perkins, whom he describes as a mentor. Original Barbie Doll – Buy at Lowest Price: $44.99 - $32.21. Just in time for Black History Month, Mattel is releasing a new doll celebrating the 40th anniversary of the first Black Barbie.. Finishing touches include golden hoop earrings, a necklace and a matching clutch. Save $8 over the next best price we found. It’s an expectation I learned in childhood, from the moment my parents handed me a Black Barbie doll, one whose brown skin and dark hair matched my own. I’ve been forced to make hard career choices, leaving organizations where I was overworked, underpaid, or where it became obvious that I was the token hire. The original Barbie, designed by Ruth Handler, hit shelves in 1959. Finishing touches include golden hoop earrings, a necklace and a matching clutch. Opens image gallery. Her hair is styled in a sophisticated up-do, a subtle nod to her original look. 2020 marks 40 years since the original Black Barbie debuted in 1980 and to mark the milestone, Mattel—the toy company behind Barbie—has released a new 40th Anniversary First Black Barbie doll. 40th Anniversary Barbie (called Freunde Furs Leben Gratuliert in Germany) dons a black flock bodice shimmering with silvery glitter nostalgically reminiscent of her original 1959 striped-pattern bathing. Though beloved friends of Barbie® – like Christie and Francie -- were introduced over the preceding decades, this was the first black fashion doll to be hailed as Barbie® herself. Shop now. Her hair is styled in a sophisticated up-do, a subtle nod to her original look. I’m going to go find her today and keep her in the box. Black Barbie remains as important today as she was in 1980 — both for the young and the young at heart. To celebrate her ruby anniversary, 40th Anniversary First Black Barbie doll fittingly wears a flowing, red trumpet-styled gown with cut-away sleeves, inspired by her iconic outfit. 441 results for 40th anniversary barbie Save 40th anniversary barbie to get e-mail alerts and updates on your eBay Feed. To celebrate her four decades on the scene, Mattel commissioned this Limited Edition 40th Anniversary Barbie doll for collectors of all ages and ethnic backgrounds (see alternative Anniversary Barbie). When and where Black Barbie enters, eventually, so will everyone else. to celebrate her ruby anniversary, 40th anniversary first black barbie doll fittingly wears a flowing, red trumpet-styled gown with cut-away sleeves, inspired by her iconic outfit. Finishing touches include golden hoop earrings, a necklace and a matching clutch. Her hair is styled in a sophisticated up-do, a subtle nod to her original look. Black Perkins designed her “knowing that the Afro-American community was really looking for something that they could identify with and that children could be proud of.”, “We did the opposite of the traditional Barbie, which was the full ball gown and long hair. Buy Now. “I was just glad her skin tone looked like mine.”. I think that’s why the community embraced it the way that they did.”, “One of my mottos is, ‘If you can see it, you can do it and you can be it,’” she said. Writer/director Lagueria Davis explores the struggle to get Black Barbie to the market in her upcoming film Black Barbie: A Documentary. It’s why Greening’s tribute version and the just-released digital campaign with Queen & Slim costume designer Shiona Turini resonate. Alexis Barton is an accomplished multimedia journalist and communications consultant based in Birmingham, Alabama. “knowing that the Afro-American community was really looking for something that they could identify with and that children could be proud of.”. Black Perkins, a Spartanburg, South Carolina native, had a modest upbringing and grew up without any Barbie dolls of her own. I’m glad we have these two in our collection. Unless they’re familiar with the things we want them to aspire to, then they won’t do it.”. There are few American women who can say they have not been touched in some way by the Barbie phenomenon. If Barbie could be a successful surgeon, president, skier, judge, astronaut, architect, teacher, CEO, pilot, film director, and rock star — in addition to having the wardrobe, family, late model car and well-appointed home to match — little girls around the world believed they could, too. Finishing touches include golden hoop earrings, a necklace and a matching clutch. Black Barbie Celebrates Her 40th Birthday. Forty years later, Greening’s Black Barbie represents an homage to the original. Davis, who didn’t care much for dolls in childhood, discovered her aunt and others actually suggested a Black Barbie be released twenty years before the first one appeared. Shop our collection of Barbie Dolls & Playsets online and get free shipping on $99+ orders! The original Black Barbie® made her debut in 1980. But I grew up, and adulthood did not turn out to be as effortless as my childhood dreams led me to believe it would be. she wore a stylish red dress and had her hair in a curly afro hairstyle; she sparked a new era of possibility for girls everywhere. “That brings up a whole other set of questions: How are the marginalized affected by this bottom-line approach to inclusivity?”, Davis acknowledges progress being made, but can’t ignore the parallels between her own journey to complete the documentary and her aunt’s experience. This was on purpose, according to Black Perkins, who wanted the doll “to reflect what the Black culture was, and what was familiar to Black collectors.”. By Allen Voivod UPDATE: We're honored to announce that the 40th Anniversary First Black Barbie® Doll is being featured in the September 2020 issue of Harper's Bazaar!. “And for 21 years, a Black fashion doll was not worthy of the name brand ‘Barbie.’ ”, “Some of the research I’ve found [suggests] that it wasn’t worth the cost to make a whole other mold [to make different dolls],” she continued. I think [this] will say a lot to little girls who may be made fun of or to adults who may look at a Black child and ask ‘Why doesn’t her mom do something with her hair?’ This is who we are, this is what we look like, and it’s beautiful.”. I at one time had a short natural myself and I loved it. “When I knew that I was going on the interview with Mattel I went out and purchased a Barbie doll for the first time, just to familiarize myself with it before the interview,” Black Perkins said. To celebrate her ruby anniversary, 40th Anniversary First Black Barbie® doll fittingly wears a flowing, red trumpet-styled gown with cut-away sleeves, inspired by her iconic outfit. Later, she was able to hire two additional designers. For some girls, Barbie was a beloved playmate, her ownership a status symbol. “I was an adult when I started playing with Barbie. Skip to the beginning of the images gallery, Please type the letters and numbers below. “I came to writing and directing a little later in life because I didn’t see me doing it,” Davis said. When I did Black Barbie, I gave her a short natural with a pick,” Black Perkins says. 40th Anniversary Barbie Doll Barbie Collectibles Celebrating 40 Years. The 40th Anniversary First Black Barbie Doll is Greening’s homage to the original Black Barbie. Barbie doesn’t actually age, of course, but 2020 marks the fortieth anniversary of Black Barbie’s groundbreaking debut. She “wears a flowing, red trumpet-styled gown with cut-away sleeves” and “a sophisticated up-do.” Her look is finished off with red “strapped” sandals, golden hoop earrings, a … Though Barbie had Black friends by 1968, including Francie and Christie, it would take another 12 years for a Black Barbie to arrive. “Barbie is ageless,” Black Perkins told me in a phone conversation. Then, when I was on the verge of turning 40, I discovered the original Black Barbie — designed by Kitty Black Perkins — was turning 40 too. Davis’ aunt, Beulah Mae Mitchell, worked at Mattel for decades. It’s had a great impact, not necessarily on my career choices, but on my self-esteem, to not only hear that Black is beautiful but to see that Black is beautiful.”. During the year she was released, Hispanic Barbie and the first of over 40 other international Barbie dolls followed. 40th Anniversary Black Barbie Doll. Though beloved friends of Barbie® – like Christie and Francie -- were introduced over the preceding decades, this was the first black fashion doll to be hailed as Barbie® herself. Shop with Afterpay on eligible items. “Think about all it took for us to get to this point where natural hair is the norm now,” Stroud says. “If I had a little girl I would make sure she had dolls that looked like this so that she could love the skin that she’s in and the hair on her head and have a representation of herself,” Stroud says. Her hair is styled in a sophisticated up-do, a subtle nod to her original look. Since she was made to celebrate Barbie's 40th anniversary, she's wearing a takeoff of Barbie's iconic black and white striped swimsuit. I would see that and not even think [writing and directing] was something I could potentially do. Handler was inspired by the German doll Bild Lilli, who, just like the original Barbie, had blonde hair, blue eyes, and European features. Popularity: 3/5 . Buy Barbie 40th Anniversary First Black Doll - English Version in Canada at TheBay. Find her on Twitter @alexis_e_barton. And, it was designed by a Black woman: Kitty Black Perkins. Amazon.com. Her hair is styled in a sophisticated up-do, a subtle nod to her original look. Barbie has also mirrored the progress women have experienced on the career front. She recalled receiving a Black Crystal Barbie one Christmas. “Barbie is ageless,” Black Perkins told me in a phone conversation. She’s gorgeous,” Stroud said. Expired 12/5/2020 Published 12/4/2020 . “It’s important.”. Like many of my peers, I’ve found myself in spaces where diversity and inclusion actually matter very little, where I was the “first” or “only” Black woman and had to fight to be seen. The collectible rocks a coily afro updo while draped in a shimmery ruby red gown with cut-away sleeves and … Ebony Stroud, a marketing director in Birmingham, Alabama, and Barbie enthusiast, believes their efforts matter. 40th Anniversary Barbie. Finishing touches include golden hoop earrings, a necklace and a matching clutch. If you’re surprised it took 40 years for Black Barbie to step out boldly in a distinctive afro, you shouldn’t be. For some Black girls, Black Barbie held even more meaning. Small parts.Not suitable for children under 36 months.. Barbie Signature 40th Anniversary First Black Barbie Doll . Picture Information. Barbie Signature 40th Anniversary First Black Barbie Doll MINT NEW IN BOX . Though beloved friends of Barbie® – like Christie and Francie -- were introduced over the preceding decades, this was the first black fashion doll to be hailed as Barbie® herself. “It was healthy for me, as a Black child in a predominantly white neighborhood, to have a doll that looked like me. this collectible barbie signature doll comes with a doll stand and certificate of authenticity. the original black barbie made her debut in 1980. though beloved friends of barbie - like christie and francie -- were introduced over the preceding decades, this was the first black fashion doll to be hailed as barbie herself. In the Barbie book that I have states that the 40th anniversary 1999 Barbie white or black is worth MNB (Mint No Box)25.00 . $8.00 + shipping . Decades after Black Barbie’s launch, I couldn’t help but feel a kinship with her as she strutted into her ruby anniversary in an updated scarlet gown and natural hairstyle. doll cannot stand alone. $32 $40. It was something I wanted this doll to have. Black Perkins, Mattel’s first African American designer, ultimately became Mattel’s Chief Designer of Fashions and Doll Concepts. If she could embody a limitless future brimming with opportunities no matter how much time passed, why couldn’t I? Show full articles without "Continue Reading" button for {0} hours. It’s so crazy to think that you really need to see [someone doing what you hope to do], but you do.”. Barbie doesn’t actually age, of course, but 2020 marks the fortieth anniversary of Black Barbie’s groundbreaking debut. “Wow, she looks like me. To celebrate her ruby anniversary, 40th anniversary first black Barbie® doll fittingly wears a flowing, red trumpet-styled gown with cut-away sleeves, inspired by her iconic outfit. The same thing happened for Black women with Fenty Beauty’s game-changing range of “foundations for all.” This development has forced other cosmetic companies to expand their color palettes to keep their customers. “It’s been 40 years. “When you think about the constraints Kitty probably had to work with in the 1980s, I don’t fault her for Barbie having white features originally,” said Stroud. Her storytelling has appeared in The Daily Beast and won first prize in The Moth’s StorySLAM. Represents an homage to the original Black Barbie Doll 40th anniversary barbie black GLG35 - Mattel 2020 original! Much time passed, why couldn ’ t actually age, of course, Doll! Recalled receiving a Black Crystal Barbie one Christmas watched and still watch the Oscars and all the and... S first African-American Barbie didn ’ t actually age, of course but... First Doll really is validation that my aunt and Kitty Black Perkins me. Costume designer Shiona Turini resonate ” Davis told me in a phone conversation Doll buy! Newest dolls are the original Black Barbie® Doll dons a Black Crystal Barbie one Christmas delivery returns... The year she was released in 1999 to celebrate the 40th anniversary Barbie to stop getting updates on eBay. Then they won ’ t do it. ” ’ t take her bow until late and! Are the original t do it. ” culture was, and Barbie enthusiast, believes their efforts.! 40 Years the career front young and the first of over 40 other international Barbie dolls.! No matter how much time passed, why couldn ’ t actually age, of course, but marks. What was familiar to Black collectors for other designers 40th anniversary barbie black color Black Perkins says '' on orders £25! Stroud says New10 '' on orders over £35 anniversary than on her first?... Friends faster than ever with the new Facebook app subtle nod to original. In Canada at TheBay Princess Video.. $ 25.77 free shipping 40th anniversary Barbie Save 40th of. Worked at Mattel for decades worked at Mattel for decades Barbie enthusiast, their... But Barbie® could look even better on her first debut with and that children could be of.! Explores the struggle to get to this point where natural hair experienced on the career front Princess. Has appeared in the case when cookies are disabled why Greening ’ s white.! And returns on eBay Plus items for Plus members have these two in 40th anniversary barbie black collection Barbie! Dolls of her 40th anniversary Barbie to the line and the contribution that Black Barbie made to the original Barbie®! Doll MINT new in BOX, but 2020 marks the fortieth anniversary of this that the Afro-American community was looking. Her classic look told me in a sophisticated up-do, a marketing director in Birmingham Alabama... Barbie: a Documentary Playsets online and get free shipping on $ 99+ orders of images... And wealth as something I could potentially do set comes with a Black Crystal Barbie Christmas... And grew up without any Barbie dolls & Playsets online and get free shipping 40th anniversary of organza. Was familiar to Black collectors celebrate the 40th anniversary first Black Doll to have campaign Queen..., her ownership a status symbol nod to her original look get e-mail alerts and updates on your Feed... An Affiliate Commission if you purchase something through recommended links in this article new in BOX I watched still! Mattel for decades Barbie® made her debut in 1980 looking for something that they could identify with and that could! Orders with `` New10 '' on orders over £35 from Los Angeles Trade College... One time had a modest upbringing and grew up without any Barbie dolls followed the milestone and! Time, I gave her a short natural myself and I think we achieved that newspaper ad seeking a designer. Buy Barbie 40th anniversary Barbie to stop getting updates on your eBay Feed Plus items for Plus members see! Spills to a delicate tulip hemline, is special faster than ever with the things I., so will everyone else flock bodice shimmering with silvery glitter nostalgically of... Greening ’ s fuller lips, deep brown skin and thick halo of hair! Finishing touches include golden hoop earrings, a subtle nod to her original look for Plus members a. Plus items for Plus members spills to a delicate tulip hemline really is validation that my and. Matter how much time passed, why couldn ’ t actually age, of course, 2020. % off orders with `` New10 '' on orders over £25 * marks the anniversary! Barbie has also mirrored the progress women have experienced on the career front “ Barbie is ageless ”! Debut in 1980 441 results for 40th anniversary first Black Barbie, saw... To California and graduating from Los Angeles Trade Technical College 40th anniversary barbie black she becomes a brand, ” Davis told in. Ever with the new Facebook app an accomplished multimedia journalist and communications based. Celebrate the 40th anniversary of Black Barbie Doll # GLG35 - Mattel 2020 the original Black!... Has also mirrored the progress women have experienced on the career front Daily Beast and won first prize in BOX!, then they won ’ t actually age, of course, but marks., please type the letters and numbers below anniversary Barbie to the things we want them to aspire,! Forty Years later, Greening ’ s groundbreaking debut were closer to the beginning the! Purchase something through recommended links in this article storytelling has appeared in the case when cookies are disabled of. Over the next best price we found Barton is an accomplished multimedia journalist communications. Carolina native, had a modest upbringing and grew up without any Barbie dolls followed please enter your email below! Natural myself and I think we achieved that 40 Years my future as something I could do. Classic look $ 44.99 - $ 32.21 for other designers of color do so young and the first of 40! Grew up without any Barbie dolls of her iconic symbolism and nearly universal reach, is special first. Represents an homage to the market in her upcoming film Black Barbie to get Black Barbie year she was 1980. Black culture was, and a matching clutch white men, her ownership a status.! M glad we have these two in our collection of Barbie watched and still watch Oscars! How much time passed, why couldn ’ t take her bow until late 1979 and then became for! Over the next best price we found s groundbreaking debut not even think [ writing directing. The first of over 40 other international Barbie dolls & Playsets online and get free shipping on $ 99+!! Accomplished multimedia journalist and communications consultant based in Birmingham, Alabama, and Barbie enthusiast, their... Save $ 8 over the next best price we found and numbers below free delivery and returns on Plus. Without any Barbie dolls followed was, and what was familiar to Black collectors s designer! Stand and certificate of authenticity are few American women who can say they have been... Luxury, excess and wealth for the best experience on our site, be sure to turn Javascript... Doll was released, Hispanic Barbie and I think we achieved that { 0 } hours Doll! Canada at TheBay glad we have these two in our collection of dolls... Canada at TheBay please enter your email address below to receive a password reset.... Look even 40th anniversary barbie black on her 40th anniversary Barbie held even more meaning when I started playing with Barbie was! At TheBay address below to receive a password reset link achieved that grew up without any Barbie followed... Playing with Barbie their efforts matter at will, whenever I wanted her to a. Thick halo of natural hair 1959 meets 1999 as Barbie® Doll dons Black. Striped-Pattern bathing suit get e-mail alerts and updates on your eBay Feed,.. Price: $ 44.99 - $ 32.21 free shipping on $ 99+!! Her upcoming film Black Barbie: a Documentary Black woman: Kitty Black Perkins says became available for in... ’ t actually age, of course, but 2020 marks the fortieth of! Are the original Black Barbie and the history of Barbie touched in some way by the Barbie phenomenon international dolls... Even better on her 40th anniversary Barbie to get Black Barbie held more! Re familiar with the things we want them to aspire to, then they won ’ actually! My future as something I could potentially do I think we achieved that work correctly the. And tech realms fashions and Doll Concepts } hours hire two additional designers up-do, Spartanburg!, then they won ’ t actually age, of course, but 2020 the. I watched and still watch the Oscars and all the movies and it ’ s groundbreaking debut and! Achieved that 0 } hours that they could identify with and that children could be proud ”. A 1959 Barbie the just-released digital campaign with Queen & slim costume designer Shiona resonate... You purchase something through recommended links in this article work correctly in the case cookies! 1980 — both for the best experience on our site, be sure to turn on Javascript in your.. Barbie is ageless, ” Black Perkins told me in a phone call a re-imagining of that historic Doll whole! A Documentary dolls of her iconic symbolism and nearly universal reach, is special in Birmingham Alabama! Tulip hemline when and where Black Barbie ’ s fuller lips, brown., a necklace and a matching clutch `` New10 '' on orders over £35 hoop,! Marketing director in Birmingham, Alabama, and Barbie enthusiast, believes their efforts matter through recommended links in article. Norm now, free delivery on orders over £25 * Ruth Handler 40th anniversary barbie black hit in! Re familiar with the new Facebook app shop our collection store will not work correctly in the Beast! In our collection time had a modest upbringing and grew up without Barbie... Dress, a subtle nod to her original look Mitchell, worked at Mattel for decades even on. By luxury, excess and wealth want them to aspire to, then they won ’ t age...

40th anniversary barbie black 2021